April 2021 Challenge Thread

DAY 11
BLACK SHEEP
Blur - Leisure
Got this as part of the Blur 21 box set and I have listened to it maybe twice since I got it. It's not bad and certainly has its moments, but it's also definitely the album of theirs I revisit the least. It's essentially Blur's Pablo Honey - a passable, above average debut that only looks bad because of how much better the rest of the band's discography went on to be in comparison.
20210411_032307.jpg

Day 11: Black Sheep
Show some love to a record you don’t play very often (if at all)

Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety

923DDB1C-57E7-4276-BA61-54BC2B00DF5F.jpeg

Most days when I’m looking through, trying to pick something to play, this one pops out and I always think, I haven’t listened to that since 2013. I can’t remember any of the songs but I remember loving it. Okay, back to finding something to play... Now that I’m finally playing it again, it’s still as enjoyable as I remember.

Show some love to a record you don’t play very often (if at all)

Toulouse - Extended Plea

I don’t spin this much, not because of dislike...not real sure why I don’t. Maybe I’ll reach for it more now that it has been refreshed in my memory.

What I like about all these challenges is that it gets me spinning things I might not reach for otherwise, today’s topic obviously exemplifies that.

20210411_102406.jpg

Day 10: Saturday Night Fever
play a disco or party record

I had a mini party when this one finally arrived (I have one still in the media mail aether never to be found) and the high energy good vibes would fit perfectly at pretty much any party

The Mowgli's - Waiting for the Dawn

PXL_20210411_143102253.jpg

Day 11: Black Sheep - Show some love to a record you don’t play very often (if at all)

The Glands "The Glands" (2000 Capricorn Records; 2018 New West Records reissue from I can see my house from here box)

Great record I don't play enough. I don't think I spun this since the few times I did after buying the box set.

IMG_1422.JPG

Day 4: When They Was Fab

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home

Alright, I don't have any Beatles records. I've tried, and give 'em another go every few months, but they don't really do much for me to be honest. *ducks* Certainly not enough for me to want to own anything on vinyl. So I'll play an album by the guy who introduced them to weed in August 1964 in a NYC hotel room and inadvertently made their music better.

PXL_20210411_145928794.jpg

Day 11: Black Sheep - Show some love to a record you don’t play very often (if at all)

The Glands "The Glands" (2000 Capricorn Records; 2018 New West Records reissue from I can see my house from here box)

Great record I don't play enough. I don't think I spun this since the few times I did after buying the box set.

View attachment 95252
I think for me, box sets discourage playing the albums. I am in the middle of a major reconfiguration and of my record storage and I think part of that is going to be removing albums from boxes when they have solid outer jackets and storing them separately.

play a disco or party record

I had a mini party when this one finally arrived (I have one still in the media mail aether never to be found) and the high energy good vibes would fit perfectly at pretty much any party

The Mowgli's - Waiting for the Dawn

View attachment 95251
This is one of the wife's favourites. Spent an absurd amount in a copy for her birthday last year and it took a long slow boat to get here. Thought I'd given myself more than enough time for it to arrive well before, then stressed when it hadn't. Then it showed up halfway through her actual birthday, much to my relief and her own mini party!

This is one of the wife's favourites. Spent an absurd amount in a copy for her birthday last year and it took a long slow boat to get here. Thought I'd given myself more than enough time for it to arrive well before, then stressed when it hadn't. Then it showed up halfway through her actual birthday, much to my relief and her own mini party!
I wonder if it's just a cursed shipping experience. That's really nuts. It's truly a blast of an album overall though, my wallet agrees with you though. That price stung.

20210411_101020.jpg

Much like The Dude, I hate the Eagles. So naturally one of my old co-workers thought it would be hilarious to gift me this when he found it in the bargain bin at our local record shop. I can appreciate the length he went to for the joke, so I threw it on the shelf until there is a need to make room. Nine months later, it's on the platter for the first (and hopefully last) time for today's challenge.

play a record that you don’t put on often/at all
The Shacks - Haze
D8B9F34F-FAA5-48C5-B0E7-93C16BC75048.jpeg

One of only maybe a handful of VMP Rising artists that I’ve actually really enjoyed. This album has a very summery vibe to it (and I am jonesing for Summer). It’s a record I’ve only spun a few times but one that every time I thumb past I always think I should give it a listen sometime soon.

Much like The Dude, I hate the Eagles. So naturally one of my old co-workers thought it would be hilarious to gift me this when he found it in the bargain bin at our local record shop. I can appreciate the length he went to for the joke, so I threw it on the shelf until there is a need to make room. Nine months later, it's on the platter for the first (and hopefully last) time for today's challenge.

Me too. I really don't know why, but I just can't listen to them. I change the radio station when they come on.

"I Was Made for Lovin' You" is plenty disco for me...but apparently there is a longer Disco remix 12", too. I'm not a huge KISS fan, but I'll pick up their stuff if it's cheap enough, this was 2 or 3 bucks.

Kiss ‎– Dynasty
Casablanca ‎– NBLP 7152, 1979

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Columbia, Pitman

bp3CO2.jpg

iVVtP3.jpg

Back