April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 10: Saturday Night Fever
Play a disco or party record

Ronnie Laws - Friends And Strangers

DD86D633-3C4F-4EAB-A384-F4EFAFAC397F.jpeg

This was thrown in with a Discogs purchase, either to add a little protection to the record or to allow the seller to clear more space on their shelf. Not much disco in my collection, but this is about as close as I can get. It’s funky as hell

Edit: further into this, one of these songs was heavily sampled on MF Doom’s “Deep Fried Frenz”

Last edited:
Day 7: “…they’ll hang it in the Louvre

Andrew Bird - My Finest Work Yet

Not my favorite cover, but I'm following The Louvre angle.
He spoofed The Death of Marat for this cover.

The Death of Marat (French: La Mort de Marat or Marat Assassiné) is a 1793 painting by Jacques-Louis David of the murdered French revolutionary leader Jean-Paul Marat. It is one of the most famous images of the French Revolution. David was the leading French painter, as well as a Montagnard and a member of the revolutionary Committee of General Security. The painting shows the radical journalist lying dead in his bath on 13 July 1793, after his murder by Charlotte Corday. Painted in the months after Marat's murder, it has been described by T. J. Clark as the first modernist painting, for "the way it took the stuff of politics as its material, and did not transmute it".[1]

The painting is displayed in the Royal Museum of Fine Arts of Belgium. A replica done by the author's studio is in display at the Louvre.[2]

AB.jpeg

Day 10: Saturday Night Fever - Play a disco or party record

I'm going to stay on the same path as yesterday and play some modern Italo-style disco from the fine folks at Italians Do It Better records.

Various Artists "After Dark" (2007 Italians Do It Better; 2013 remaster)

As with most people, this is the original compilation with which I was introduced to the artist on Italians Do It Better and most importantly The Chromatics. I also saw the Italians Do It Better bands essentially play this record live at a review in SF in 2008. Each artists played a few songs with Glass Candy and The Chromatics playing the bulk of the show. I happened to be in SF with my wife for a wedding and they were playing at a small venue (I want to say The Rickshaw?). All I remember of the place is that there was tin foil all over the walls. Anyway, fun disco show and definitely a party.

IMG_1418.JPG

Day 10: Saturday Night Fever - Play a disco or party record

I'm going to stay on the same path as yesterday and play some modern Italo-style disco from the fine folks at Italians Do It Better records.

Various Artists "After Dark" (2007 Italians Do It Better; 2013 remaster)

As with most people, this is the original compilation with which I was introduced to the artist on Italians Do It Better and most importantly The Chromatics. I also saw the Italians Do It Better bands essentially play this record live at a review in SF in 2008. Each artists played a few songs with Glass Candy and The Chromatics playing the bulk of the show. I happened to be in SF with my wife for a wedding and they were playing at a small venue (I want to say The Rickshaw?). All I remember of the place is that there was tin foil all over the walls. Anyway, fun disco show and definitely a party.

View attachment 95124

If they would only ship AD3 already....

Day 10: Saturday Night Fever
play a disco or party record
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Black & Blue
CEBD49F8-774F-4D5A-AD41-5B18C4556A80.jpeg

My collection is pretty lacking when it comes to Disco music. I enjoy some Disco but never enough to purchase any albums...until now. I swung by my record store over lunch a grabbed this. Supposedly, the song “The Love That I Lost” became the first Disco hit when drummer, Earl Young decided to apply the “Disco Beat” AKA Four-On-The-Floor timing to the track.

Back