April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 11: Black Sheep
play a record that you don’t put on often/at all

She & Him - Volume Two

Haven't spun this in a bit, an it's a good one for time spent chilling with the whole family, so...

20200820_165540-jpg.62388

Seriously this is one of the most impressive debut albums in recent memory! Cant wait to see what more she creates in the future!!
She was back in the studio with Clarence Clarity recently so hopefully we'll be getting that second album sooner rather than later 👀 but I'm more than willing to be patient, if she can create a sophomore album as good as her debut it will be well worth the wait!

Day 12: Multilingual
play a record sung in more than one language (or by an artist who sings more than one language)

Kraftwerk - Computer World

This pressing is the English version. But most of their albums I believe have both an English and German version. The German version being superior in my opinion.

12E968A1-E443-4BEC-BA2C-20BF35612D66.jpeg

Day 13: Trainwreckord

Play the worst album by a band/artist you love

Most bands seem to produce their worst record near the end. The Doors opened strong, closed strong and dropped their personal dud right in the middle. It has it's moments, but definitely the last one I reach for in the catalog. Only counting the Morrison records, of course.

The Doors - The Soft Parade

20210413_000520.jpg

Last edited:
play the worst album by a band/artist you love

I am not much of a completionist, yet. I have a few artists that I have several records, so I'll choose my least played album from that list.

Here are my records by Herbie Hancock.

1618315513557.png

I'm not saying this is bad at all, but it is my least played.

Herbie Hancock - Mr. Hands

PXL_20210413_121533009.jpg

John Prine - Pink Cadillac

99C7936E-413C-4ADE-AD8E-B51E36DA2D84.jpeg

To say that this is his worst is saying something. He got rockier with this one and it was recorded by Sam Phillips and family. Has some great moments but when I feel like playing a Prine record, this is not often the one I reach for.

Todd in the Shadows likes this theme. I think Todd would support the choice too.

Anyway, a bit of a tough one since usually if I truly am not a fan of the album or think it's bad I either don't own it or, surprisingly enough, I tend to grow fonder of it over time once the hype of the album release dies down and the disappointment fades. Further, there are a handful of albums I never reach for and would use but generally people do love, so I think that's less on theme than this choice.

This will be Taylor's second appearance this month and I, honestly, don't dislike this album as much as many others do. There's some real highlights on here. Getaway Car is still a jam. Some of the less acclaimed songs are legitimately good. But man, Look What You Made Me Do + Ready For It is just the definition of this category.

(As an aside, for a picture disc only release outside of the expensive FYE exclusive, really good sounding pic discs)

Taylor Swift - Reputation
PXL_20210413_131718448.MP.jpg

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

I don’t feel comfortable calling this the worst VU album, but it’s the one I listen to least. I love the title track and Sister Ray though.

9B87FA84-FEFD-4EA1-A557-5A5D627D6073.jpeg

Day 13: Trainwreckord - play the worst album by a band/artist you love

The Strokes "Angles" (2011 RCA)

This is tough, because I tend not to buy the worst album by an artist I love. I'll have to go with this one, since I own all of The Strokes records. I know many rate Comedown Machine lower, but Angles is personally my least favorite. While I find Comedown Machine an enjoyable listen for what it is, and has a few New Wave/New Romantics experiments I like, Angles doesn't seem to do anything really well and tends to lose my attention in several parts.

IMG_1426.JPG

Back