Anime And/Or Manga!

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is coming to Prime video August 13th along with all the other Evangelion rebuild movies, AND it’s 2 and a half hours long!!! Words cannot describe how excited I am!

I'm very excited for this! I held off on watching the other movies until the whole thing was finished, the first one came out when I was a Sophomore in college, so this has been a long time coming!

Also, for anyone looking for some new anime to watch, I recommend Those Snow White Notes, and OddTaxi.

Those Snow White Notes is a show focusing on shamisen players, the main character being an incredibly talented kid who recently lost his even more talented yet obscurely famous grandfather. The story follows his journey to both honor his grandpa, and find his own sound. Great music, great imagery, and if you are someone who can visualize music the way people in the show do, I envy you.

OddTaxi is a "animals as people" type show, a la Bojack Horseman. It's got some Tarantino vibes too, though not nearly as voilent (at least so far). I have a hard time putting into words what this one is actually about other than it's about a taxi driver living his life, but I can't put it down.

Everyone, I finished OddTaxi and it was incredible. I can't recommend this one enough. I was enjoying it during my last post, but now that I've finished it I can say it's the best anime I've watched in at least the last decade.

Edit: adding in that this is a concluded story, and is only 13 episodes long.

My daughter really likes My Hero Academia.
I guess I need to start watching this to understand anything she's saying. Has anyone here watched this series?
I watched the first two or three seasons, and really enjoyed it. Got distracted with some other shows between seasons, but I intend to go back to it eventually.

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is coming to Prime video August 13th along with all the other Evangelion rebuild movies, AND it’s 2 and a half hours long!!! Words cannot describe how excited I am!

So… has anyone else watched it?!? I can’t stop scouring Reddit for various theories since finally watching the new movie the other night.

So… has anyone else watched it?!? I can’t stop scouring Reddit for various theories since finally watching the new movie the other night.
We're going to be watching them all soon. My wife and I watched the Netflix version last year, and we recently watch The End Of Evangelion. I have the original dubbed version on DVD, and have watched it every few years since I got it half my lifetime ago. I think teenage me mentally blocked my memory of that movie, I forgot how shocking it is to watch. I had decided when 1.0 came out to wait until it finished before watching it, so I'm really looking forward to this.

I watched it a couple days after it came out. I think I need to see it again. It was kinda disappointing but still satisfying as an ending and left me with a hole in my chest.

2.0 is my favorite of the Rebuild movies.

Just finished volume 97 of One Piece. Probably the piece of media I've followed the most consistently in my life (at least since 6th or 7th grade so maybe 14 years). And you know what? It's STILL good. The Wano arc is a blast.

watching ouran high school host club becuase it was on Netflix and this has aged weirdly... the rapey scene in episode 8.. the use of the T slur to refer to a crossdresser.. the feminazi joke...

but at the same time the main character is clearly trans or nonbinary and you can fight me over this... (scans of the manga make it possibly even clearer)

Just finished volume 97 of One Piece. Probably the piece of media I've followed the most consistently in my life (at least since 6th or 7th grade so maybe 14 years). And you know what? It's STILL good. The Wano arc is a blast.
hmmm, idk about that last point. wano arc has been all over the place in terms of pacing and character arcs. i dont think it's at the lowest point ever (that'd be punk hazard imo), but wano arc is definitely no epic like enies lobby, alabasta, or marineford war.

i love one piece, have also been reading it since elementary school, but lately i have felt that now that we are "apparently" approaching the very climax of the story, i feel like the story is getting "rushed". to me, wano has been a very big hit-or-miss arc, act 1 was completely unnecessary and sluggish and a terrible start to this supposed battlefied-esque arc, and act 3 has been going on for so long that at this point it makes the notion ot the wano arc supposed to be playing like a kabuki play (meaning 5 acts) seem like a lie now.

there have been other things on the side that have also made me irritated with reading one piece over the past years (most of the reverie stuff getting completely skipped over even though it had been hyped for years, sanji's and big mom's characters getting ruined, etc.) im still looking forward to continue reading one piece until the very end, but now i am simultaneously bracing myself for any possible disappointment the future chapters and arcs might bring

hmmm, idk about that last point. wano arc has been all over the place in terms of pacing and character arcs. i dont think it's at the lowest point ever (that'd be punk hazard imo), but wano arc is definitely no epic like enies lobby, alabasta, or marineford war.

i love one piece, have also been reading it since elementary school, but lately i have felt that now that we are "apparently" approaching the very climax of the story, i feel like the story is getting "rushed". to me, wano has been a very big hit-or-miss arc, act 1 was completely unnecessary and sluggish and a terrible start to this supposed battlefied-esque arc, and act 3 has been going on for so long that at this point it makes the notion ot the wano arc supposed to be playing like a kabuki play (meaning 5 acts) seem like a lie now.

there have been other things on the side that have also made me irritated with reading one piece over the past years (most of the reverie stuff getting completely skipped over even though it had been hyped for years, sanji's and big mom's characters getting ruined, etc.) im still looking forward to continue reading one piece until the very end, but now i am simultaneously bracing myself for any possible disappointment the future chapters and arcs might bring
That's actually true in restrospect; the first chunk of Wano was pretty slow, but since the Akazaya Nine have been introduced, I've been having a good time. Agreed it doesn't hit the heights of those you mentioned, but I'm still having fun with it at this point. I don't read chapters ahead, I just read the english volumes as they come out, so I have no expectations or preconceptions at this point. I'm just enjoying the ride.

I'm not a manga reader, but I've been keeping up with the show. One Piece is one of my favourites. It has it's lulls but when it's on it's ON. Nothing will beat the hype I felt watching Enies Lobby, Sky Island, or Impel Down/Marineford.

I've been somewhat enjoying the Wano Arc... But I'm admittedly not super interested in the whole Samurai theme. It's comes off as odd when they're travelling from island to island and everything is fantasy and weird and wacky then it's just "Oh, but also Edo Era Japan exists in this Universe." It would be like if they showed up at an island that's conspicuously just like Colonial America. It just feels out of place in this fantasy pirate world. I feel it would have been better served as a movie, rather than an entire arc.

But the art has been insane, so that's cool.

I'm not a manga reader, but I've been keeping up with the show. One Piece is one of my favourites. It has it's lulls but when it's on it's ON. Nothing will beat the hype I felt watching Enies Lobby, Sky Island, or Impel Down/Marineford.

I've been somewhat enjoying the Wano Arc... But I'm admittedly not super interested in the whole Samurai theme. It's comes off as odd when they're travelling from island to island and everything is fantasy and weird and wacky then it's just "Oh, but also Edo Era Japan exists in this Universe." It would be like if they showed up at an island that's conspicuously just like Colonial America. It just feels out of place in this fantasy pirate world. I feel it would have been better served as a movie, rather than an entire arc.

But the art has been insane, so that's cool.

nah, this is one thing i dont agree 😆. i think its pretty cool that Wano is based on edo Japan, and within the story, it makes completely sense why they’re behind everyone else. every major island has been based off a real-world country (egypt with alabasta, aztec-era mexico with skypeia, spain with dressrosa). it definitely adds to the sense of adventure going from one island to another and seeing different cultures within them,

nah, this is one thing i dont agree 😆. i think its pretty cool that Wano is based on edo Japan, and within the story, it makes completely sense why they’re behind everyone else. every major island has been based off a real-world country (egypt with alabasta, aztec-era mexico with skypeia, spain with dressrosa). it definitely adds to the sense of adventure going from one island to another and seeing different cultures within them,
That's a fair point, but I'd argue that the themes and commonalities that other islands have shared with other cultures are more like, say, walking through Epcot, where this is straight up in your face, "We're in Samurai occupied Japan now, deal with it." It's a bit over the top for my tastes, and it doesn't currently feel like an anime about Pirates. No one even cares that they're pirates, they're just dressing up as Geisha's, fighting the local feudal lord and making Soba. They weren't dressed like Egyptians, fighting a Pharaoh, and building Pyramids in the Alabasta arc, it just had some similar design elements and climate.

But these are just my opinions. I think Samurai are cool and everything, but don't make my fantasy Pirate anime all about it.

Back