All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

3 more albums in 2022? Wow.

I know y'all are big fans, but I gotta ask, at what point does this band release so much music that their fans simply become fatigued? I think I may have hit that point. Ive stopped buying the last few releases and am still struggling to fully absorb KG and LW. I suppose one good thing is the albums seem to stay in print, so I can eventually catch up. Maybe fatigued is the wrong word. I seem to struggle to make a connection with a lot of their albums lately because by the time I've become somewhat familiar with a piece of work, a new album is released.

I know y'all are big fans, but I gotta ask, at what point does this band release so much music that their fans simply become fatigued? I think I may have hit that point. Ive stopped buying the last few releases and am still struggling to fully absorb KG and LW. I suppose one good thing is the albums seem to stay in print, so I can eventually catch up. Maybe fatigued is the wrong word. I seem to struggle to make a connection with a lot of their albums lately because by the time I've become somewhat familiar with a piece of work, a new album is released.
obviously there's no universal answer to this question, but for me there's no challenge keeping up with, and connecting to, their music (except maybe financially).

I'm still excited when new music is announced, I was loving watching all the live streams of their tour, and while the Bootleg stuff can feel superfluous and out of control at times, the main output still holds constant quality for me.

not sure if/when I'll ever reach a saturation point, but they're going to have to try a lot harder for me to get there.

obviously there's no universal answer to this question, but for me there's no challenge keeping up with, and connecting to, their music (except maybe financially).

I'm still excited when new music is announced, I was loving watching all the live streams of their tour, and while the Bootleg stuff can feel superfluous and out of control at times, the main output still holds constant quality for me.

not sure if/when I'll ever reach a saturation point, but they're going to have to try a lot harder for me to get there.
This is where I am too. This is just the kind of music I'm drawn to and I like what they're doing. Surprisingly I get more excited by their announcements than a lot of other bands I like these days. There's something to their creative output that keeps me coming back and excited each time to know what they've come up with. It's fun and refreshing to break the typical music mold. And I don't think there are a lot of bands who could pull this off, or of they tried that I'd actually get into like this. Thee Oh Sees, for instance, put out some good stuff but I don't feel the draw to listen immediately to everything they do because a lot sounds like filler to me. I imagine some may feel that way about Gizz, but it hasn't gotten there for me.

Obviously they are highly prolific, so 'absorbing' them may be quite different compared to other bands. But I might listen to 50 unique albums any given week. That may be a lot for most people, but you don't have to be anywhere near that rate for twenty albums in a decade to not actually feel like that much.
The one thing I've learned in this endless pursuit to hear as much music as possible is that you can never hear all of it anyway, and it will always be there, so don't pressure yourself to do it any faster than you like.

Honestly, when people ask me about Gizz, they often ask where to start, and my first question is what stuff are they generally into. I feel like Gizz has an album for almost anyone at this point, but I know they aren’t for everyone. And certainly not all of it is for everyone.

But personally, that wide range of styles keeps me interested. Part of what makes them easy to keep up with is I always think “what direction will they go in next?” And it’s almost always a surprise. Some albums I listen to very frequently (Poly) while others I might only give a few spins (Fishies). But with each release, I’m excited and curious. Other bands might leave me feeling fatigued even if they only put out 1 album every three years. Deep down that’s because I just might not find them interesting. And it’s ok to feel that way about Gizz, or any band.

I can totally understand feeling fatigued, but honestly I’ll say just don’t. If you’re feeling fatigued, just take a break. The albums don’t go away. They’ll always be here. ENJOY THEM! That’s why they exist. Not everyone needs to be a mega fan. And if you find you only like certain subsets of Gizz’s stuff, just wait for those releases and catch them when you can.

20220727_212159.jpg

Finally got to make the pilgrimage to Flightless Factory on the weekend. Picked up these and some merch. Seems pretty far removed from King Gizz these days, but they do still have their own section, mostly just of the latest issues so I felt my money was better spent on something new to me.
It's a very niche selection, real taste making stuff (like I think most record stores in Melbourne, as I discovered), so in that spirit I trusted them and bought Spiral Galaxy and the Silver Apples unheard. Then Peanut Butter Traffic Jam is one of the few legacy Flightless albums I don't already have, Eggy on the right is one of their newest bands and that album came out the day I was in there, and Matt Berry is one of the few familiar names in the whole shop.

Very worth the visit if you're in the North of Melbourne, I happened to be staying around the corner but it's actually quite far removed from the CBD. Absolutely buried in the suburbs so it's all very local and laid back.

View attachment 147069

Finally got to make the pilgrimage to Flightless Factory on the weekend. Picked up these and some merch. Seems pretty far removed from King Gizz these days, but they do still have their own section, mostly just of the latest issues so I felt my money was better spent on something new to me.
It's a very niche selection, real taste making stuff (like I think most record stores in Melbourne, as I discovered), so in that spirit I trusted them and bought Spiral Galaxy and the Silver Apples unheard. Then Peanut Butter Traffic Jam is one of the few legacy Flightless albums I don't already have, Eggy on the right is one of their newest bands and that album came out the day I was in there, and Matt Berry is one of the few familiar names in the whole shop.

Very worth the visit if you're in the North of Melbourne, I happened to be staying around the corner but it's actually quite far removed from the CBD. Absolutely buried in the suburbs so it's all very local and laid back.

That Traffik Island is fantastic. I've been eyeing that Eggy for a bit now too, need to listen to that album again!

Back