All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

@BazookaTooth

also the actual box is pretty solid, as good as your average box set. I don't love the design and fonts on the box itself much, but it's fine. the foil lettering on the front and back are a nice touch. I also don't particularly like that the fonts on the spines aren't uniform across the 5 records but all this is really getting into nitpicking territory.

overall it's a solid B in terms of the box and packaging. I don't think I'd say any part of it is sub-par, there are design choices I don't love but that's subjective, so the next person may love everything about it. the paper sleeves is a bummer, again it's not sub-par but printed sleeves would have made the overall package nicer.

the records are overall all very nice in terms of colors. there's maybe 1 or 2 that aren't as amazing as the others but NJ generally shines in this department and once again they did a great job. the main issue is that center hole of disc 3, but I doubt that's a universal defect for all the boxes.

can't comment on the sound across the board. the one show so far sounded good. it didn't blow my balls off but definitely no major issues or complaints. I know that they might be sequencing some of the shows out of order, unless they addressed that and kept the tracklists in the original/correct order but the one I listened to flowed perfectly/seamlessly so I don't think it was sequenced out of order, though it is the only one that's 3 discs, so maybe that allowed them to keep that show in the correct order.

anyway, like I said so far I'd give it an overall B. nothing is worse than average and some aspects, like the color and weight of the discs, are great. again I can't comment about the sound across all the discs just yet, but otherwise I'd recommend it if you're interested in it. that said there is room for improvement on the packaging overall for me that keeps it from being a stellar box set.

sorry for the rambling...
Thank you so much for rambling.

Thank you so much for rambling.
so, just listened to the first song on Side B of the Asheville show (This Thing), first from the Mystery Jack pressing and then followed it up with the exact same track from the Needlejuice pressing and I can't say for sure there is a difference but I think I'm preferring the Needlejuice in the back to back test. It just seems it sounds a bit more up-front and brighter ever so slightly.

If nothing else this is to say that the Needlejuice sounds as good if not better than the Mystery Jack. I think based off of this I am inclined to bump the overall to a B+.

Really right now it seems that they are simply lacking in the extras that made the MJ pressing that much nicer; artwork, vinyl color, presentation, zoetrope labels (which I can never get to work anyway), poster, + the Cygoodies bonuses. If NJ had all that type of above-and-beyond detail it would made their package an easy A+ but I just don't love some of their design choices, but of course the sound is the most important thing.

so, just listened to the first song on Side B of the Asheville show (This Thing), first from the Mystery Jack pressing and then followed it up with the exact same track from the Needlejuice pressing and I can't say for sure there is a difference but I think I'm preferring the Needlejuice in the back to back test. It just seems it sounds a bit more up-front and brighter ever so slightly.

If nothing else this is to say that the Needlejuice sounds as good if not better than the Mystery Jack. I think based off of this I am inclined to bump the overall to a B+.

Really right now it seems that they are simply lacking in the extras that made the MJ pressing that much nicer; artwork, vinyl color, presentation, zoetrope labels (which I can never get to work anyway), poster, + the Cygoodies bonuses. If NJ had all that type of above-and-beyond detail it would made their package an easy A+ but I just don't love some of their design choices, but of course the sound is the most important thing.

Mystery Jack is the only one I'm aware that should have any noticeable audio differences as its a mix of his recording from the crowd and the recording the band released. I'm not hip to exactly how they went about this but I'd expect that to maybe not sound as "up front". Happy the needlejuices are holding up. Looks like Newbury just put up three exclusives.

Mystery Jack is the only one I'm aware that should have any noticeable audio differences as its a mix of his recording from the crowd and the recording the band released. I'm not hip to exactly how they went about this but I'd expect that to maybe not sound as "up front". Happy the needlejuices are holding up. Looks like Newbury just put up three exclusives.
was that for the entire show or just the bonus 7"?

oh yeah, the Mystery Jack also came with a bonus 7". they cut no corners and went all out with their pressing, it was reflected in their pricing as it wasn't cheap but again their entire package is an A+, as it's one of the nicest overall packages I have ever received for a record.

was that for the entire show or just the bonus 7"?

oh yeah, the Mystery Jack also came with a bonus 7". they cut no corners and went all out with their pressing, it was reflected in their pricing as it wasn't cheap but again their entire package is an A+, as it's one of the nicest overall packages I have ever received for a record.
That was for the entire show and was a big selling point for me. The 7"s are solely recorded by him as they are from shows that the band hasn't released. (But he has Stu's approval of the recordings)

That was for the entire show and was a big selling point for me. The 7"s are solely recorded by him as they are from shows that the band hasn't released. (But he has Stu's approval of the recordings)
yup, you're right. it notes they blended their own recording with the band's recording. I may need to go back and do another A/B when I am not working so I can pay closer attention - ha ha.

but again, NJ's sounds very good. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in their box set.

yup, you're right. it notes they blended their own recording with the band's recording. I may need to go back and do another A/B when I am not working so I can pay closer attention - ha ha.

but again, NJ's sounds very good. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in their box set.
From my understanding when chatting with Jack they were going for more of a fan lost in the crowd, enveloped by the music perspective. I'm excited to A/B it with Stolen Body whenever they get that moving.

Got my Evil Star Live ‘19 box in yesterday, it’s fantastic and quite massive.

Also got my バタフライ 3000 in, got red vinyl. Was hoping for blue but red was my second pick. 🤘🦋3️⃣0️⃣0️⃣0️⃣
still working my way through the box set, but loving it so far! currently on the Brussels show which has such a cool set list, but the sound quality is a little muddier than the other 2 shows I've listened to so far, but it's certainly not bad sounding and I would chalk it up to the actual recording/master files provided and difference in venue, etc. and not the pressing.

@Tillman , i just pulled the trigger on the box !
I've now listened to 4 of the 5 shows in total and have been having a blast going through them. as much of a fan I am of Gizz I have probably only listened to each of these shows once on streaming, so it's almost like listening to them for the first time and it's just been great.

I have had like two instances where there was a bit of a click but each time it was never during a song but in between during crowd noise and chatter so it's pretty much a complete non-issue.

I think we've made a wise choice with this box. Welcome to the club @BazookaTooth and @Eriatarka!!

I've now listened to 4 of the 5 shows in total and have been having a blast going through them. as much of a fan I am of Gizz I have probably only listened to each of these shows once on streaming, so it's almost like listening to them for the first time and it's just been great.

I have had like two instances where there was a bit of a click but each time it was never during a song but in between during crowd noise and chatter so it's pretty much a complete non-issue.

I think we've made a wise choice with this box. Welcome to the club @BazookaTooth and @Eriatarka!!
Mine just got delayed by HHV for another three weeks.

It also helps that I put all of mine in protective outers (they still fit nicely in the box) as well as Mo-Fi inners

It also helps that I put all of mine in protective outers (they still fit nicely in the box) as well as Mo-Fi inners
I didn't put mine in outers, but did use anti-static inners which I would still do if it had printed inners. maybe I'll put them in outers though not sure if my outers will fit the trifold

Back