All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

I see, I've never really played guitar before, but I have a lot of piano experience and I can definitely grasp that faster =/= harder or better. But in this case its faster and also cleaner and tighter which to me compounds the skill required to perform it, what I have no grasp of is how guitar fretboards work, or techniques, so I can't really visualize if compositionally this ITRN stuff is trickier than MOTU or Polygondwanaland for example. I guess I never thought that about FfF because that style of guitar playing isn't completely new to them, theres a good section of Poly like that right?

Maybe its not better or more difficult to a trained ear, but is there something about the guitar work of ITRN that sets it apart from the rest of the discography to you? I suppose maybe its just this genre that really exposes the guitar more and I've never had to give it so much attention, especially as they've never been big on solos.
oh for sure, it's definitely impressive what they do and that style certainly takes practice but they're also not playing that fast or that complicated compared to many other metal bands. that style is more about the strumming hand and getting good at being clean at that fast "chugga, chugga" sound good by quickly alternating playing and palm muting.

they've definitely been doing some pretty technically impressive stuff for a long time, especially with odd time signatures. and while Rats' Nest may not ultimately be more technical than Polygondwanalad or MotU it's definitely flashier.

Got my Rats Nest record, vinyl looks like the others here, but the inner sleeve had seam splits on all 3 sides, and a small corner ding on the outer. I emailed Flightless just to see if they could replace the sleeve, not expecting much since it is just a sleeve, but lo and behold, they are sending me a replacement!

Just got in what should have been my flightless superbug but it was actually Venusian! I'm not upset because that ended up being the best looking (in my opinion). Just never seen them make a mistake like that.

I think that worked in your favor. I have all three, and Venusian is definitely the keeper.

Just went to go buy my bloody eyeball and it’s sold out 😢😭😢
damn, did you at least get the blue? my disc 1 has a nasty scratch on it that they said they would replace but haven't got the shipping on the replacement yet.

in other news I think I prefer Rat's Nest to Fishies, which is kind of surprising me.

Last edited:
damn, did you at least get the blue? my disc 1 has a nasty scratch on it that they said they would replace but haven't got the shipping on the replacement yet.

in other news I think I prefer Rat's Nest to Fishies, which is kind of surprising me.
As an album, I definitely prefer Infest The Rat’s Nest. But I like the songs on Fishies better. The whole transition to synthetic robotic music doesn’t work as well for me like it does some others. To me it feels like the last two songs are a little out of place, although I dig them.

I want a whole album of Doom Gizz.

odd edit to cut off Self Immolate like that. I wonder what happened?

I'm hoping it's just a teaser. Eric said in their last AMA they've tried live recording a bunch of times and never liked how it turned out, but this looks and sounds great. I can't really see why they would just leave it at that and not publish a full live album.

Back