All things disc golf.

My recommendation:

Starter Driver - Innova Leopard: 6, 5, -2, 1
Starter Mid - Discraft Buzzz: 5, 4, -1, 1
Starter Putter - Innova Aviar: 2, 3, 0, 1

Key: Speed, Glide, Turn, Fade
Further, if you don’t mind swapping the Discraft Buzzz for a Shark, the Innova starter set gets you the Leopard/Shark/Aviar for like $19-20 - and it’s pretty widely considered to be a great starter set.

Further, if you don’t mind swapping the Discraft Buzzz for a Shark, the Innova starter set gets you the Leopard/Shark/Aviar for like $19-20 - and it’s pretty widely considered to be a great starter set.

I've never thrown a Shark myself, but my best bud had one for quite a while and he swore by it. Got his first ace with it too!

After years of seeing them plugged while watching disc golf, I decided to take advantage of their Prime Day 30% Off sale and ordered a couple of Grip6 belts. Pretty stoked to give these things a try - especially the prospect of not having buckle creases in my fat gut after sitting for any decent length of time. Hoping they live up to the hype l, and stoked to know I can return them easily if not. The fact that I had a shipping notice in under an hour after ordering is also pretty slick!

20230726_164248.jpg

Been wearing this for a couple of hours now and I absolutely love it!

As a fat man, most buckles tend to pinch into my underbelly if I sit for any length of time. As advertised, that's not an issue with this design. The lack of holes and tension grip also allows for the most comfortable fit I think I've ever experienced in a belt - anything up until this point has been varying degrees of too tight or too loose.

Even before getting dinged with $20 at the border my order was a bit more than I ever imagined myself spending on belts, but if these things are anything like they're said to be, it'll be absolutely worth the cost. I got 2 more straps and 1 more buckle in my order, which can all mix and match to create 6 belts overall, for a total of about $125 (CAD), shipped.

Typically I chew threw a $20(ish) leather belt in a little under a year, so if these last a few years like they're supposed to the value will be quite evident.

I went to play a little bit for the first time! Found a free course about 20 minutes from my place.

Unfortunately, there were only 3 holes that were usable. The others were overrun with tall grass. The useable holes were cut too narrow for a shitty beginner (like a narrow path of cut grass with tall grasses on both sides), so I ended up losing a disc. Tall grasses suck. Some of those grasses cut like razor blades and mangled my legs while I was looking for it. Like what the hell is that razor blade plant?

Still, had the chance to walk a lot and it was fun. The sound of those chains is pretty satisfying. I'll need to find a place that's better suited for a complete beginner. Because I'm very bad and (1) can't throw far worth shit and (2) can't throw straight worth shit. Did I mention I discovered tall grasses really suck?

Oh yeah, I walked in a divot going down a light slope and tumbled downhill a bit. No damage but it wasn't pretty. Too bad nobody saw that.

I went to play a little bit for the first time! Found a free course about 20 minutes from my place.

Unfortunately, there were only 3 holes that were usable. The others were overrun with tall grass. The useable holes were cut too narrow for a shitty beginner (like a narrow path of cut grass with tall grasses on both sides), so I ended up losing a disc. Tall grasses suck. Some of those grasses cut like razor blades and mangled my legs while I was looking for it. Like what the hell is that razor blade plant?

Still, had the chance to walk a lot and it was fun. The sound of those chains is pretty satisfying. I'll need to find a place that's better suited for a complete beginner. Because I'm very bad and (1) can't throw far worth shit and (2) can't throw straight worth shit. Did I mention I discovered tall grasses really suck?

Oh yeah, I walked in a divot going down a light slope and tumbled downhill a bit. No damage but it wasn't pretty. Too bad nobody saw that.
Wow, ya lost all your discs and fell down a hill and there were only 3 playable holes AND YOU WANT TO DO IT AGAIN?!!

I think it’s safe to say it will only get better and more fun from there.

UDisc has a fantastic app for finding nearby courses, keeping scoresheets, knowing hole distances and Pars and help ya find tee boxes and pin locations. I think it covers Canada as well. Maybe give that a shot.

Wow, ya lost all your discs and fell down a hill and there were only 3 playable holes AND YOU WANT TO DO IT AGAIN?!!

I think it’s safe to say it will only get better and more fun from there.

UDisc has a fantastic app for finding nearby courses, keeping scoresheets, knowing hole distances and Pars and help ya find tee boxes and pin locations. I think it covers Canada as well. Maybe give that a shot.

I lost one disc only :LOL: . I did use Udisc, but the course I went to looked nice and clean from the pictures on there. I guess it's just this year that they didn't maintain it, which is unfortunate because it's new I think. I believe those 3 holes were set-up for winter play and the city never got around to fixing it up for the summer season. It's too bad, because if it was mowed, it would be a good place to learn to play I think.

But I did fall down a hill. A couple tumbles. Not gracious at all. But yeah.

I really want this to work so I can have an activity where I can do some walking without just walking, if you know what I mean.

I lost one disc only :LOL: . I did use Udisc, but the course I went to looked nice and clean from the pictures on there. I guess it's just this year that they didn't maintain it, which is unfortunate because it's new I think. I believe those 3 holes were set-up for winter play and the city never got around to fixing it up for the summer season. It's too bad, because if it was mowed, it would be a good place to learn to play I think.
Time to borrow @jamieanderson1968 blow torch and clear some brush.

ESPN is showing disc golf at 3am as part of their annual ESPN8: The Ocho event. That's what they think of our sport!

And look what got better billing! Sheesh!

View attachment 179285
I was just looking at that. At least it’s got better billing than the Microsoft Excel World Championship where Spreadsheet Wizards compete in an elimination race to advance in the Microsoft Excel Esports event.

Finally played that newly-redesigned 18 hole that’s right near my house, called Southwoods. Its entry on UDisc hasn’t been updated since they closed for renovation, unfortunately and still lists it as “permanently closed” even though it’s open. It’s a fun-ass course. They don’t have both sets of tee pads in on all the holes yet, so we played a mix of long and shorties since she’s kinda new.

I guess the redesign was done by Avery Jenkins, so that’s pretty neat. It’s definitely still a maturing course - lots of bare ground in the woods that could get muddy fast I think. Probably half to 2/3 the course is in the woods, mix of par 3/par 4s. The longest is 18 at around 835 from the back tee. A couple small creeks in play, but nothing too serious (which didn’t keep the girl from finding it. Twice.)

I didn’t keep a score card but it was all bogey/double bogey for me I reckon. Still getting my arm back. Found a lot of trees the hard way and the girl only lost one of my discs, so I’ll call it a win. Definitely heading back there.

So you dudes who play a lot. Two-part question.

1. How do you decide what weight to thirow/how do you decide when it’s time to move up weight?

2. How do you decide on new discs? Do you just buy blind and if they’re a nightmare you just chalk it up to sunk cost? Something else I’m missing?
1. Disc weight is a distance vs. stability question. The heavier the disc the more stable but less distance. I usually go with medium to heavier weight driver as I can have control issues and having the the disc go where I want it to go is more valuable to me than any extra distance I am gonna gain on a lighter disc. Especially on an open course with wind.

2. My toss is fairly consistent so I know how my shot travels through the air and how much hook and fade my throw has normally so when I buy a new disc I will check out the flight numbers and use those as my guide but ultimately I never know for sure how it’s gonna fly until I get it in hand and get toss it around a bit.

Super good info. I suppose I should dial myself in a bit more and get a feel for what my speed really is before I start disc hopping. I’m pretty happy with how my Leopard throws, though I wish it would glide a bit more - would like to see some more distance. I’m not sure I’ve got the armspeed to move into control drivers with any real confidence quite yet.

We went out and just threw all my discs so the gf could figure out which ones she liked. She ended up really liking an Innova Wolf that I bought way back when, and that’s her go-to right now while she builds up speed/strength for a few driver. She liked the Shark off the tee too (until she… uh…liberated it into a creek surrounded by thick bushes).

Back