All things disc golf.

So you dudes who play a lot. Two-part question.

1. How do you decide what weight to thirow/how do you decide when it’s time to move up weight?

2. How do you decide on new discs? Do you just buy blind and if they’re a nightmare you just chalk it up to sunk cost? Something else I’m missing?

For myself, most of the discs I initially picked up were max weight and I eventually started finding lower weights of some of my favourites - often bagging both (ie: when I'm playing with my full bag I have a max weight Sexton Firebird and a 160ish Star Firebird - the lighter one for bigger distances and the SexyBird for tighter corners) Maybe not the best way to go about it, but when I first fell into disc golf I was snapping up discs the way I do records these days...

Which leads to my #2 answer being a decent bit of blind buying for sure. I bought a LOT of discs on a Canadian Facebook auction site, where I picked up a bunch for cheap and some that I really wanted for less cheap! As a result, I have a ton of unused/barely used discs in my closet these days, but it was a good way to work through a lot and find what I liked. There are very few disc sellers where I'm at - most being private citizens who buy wholesale and distribute - so there's not a lot of opportunity to try a hands-on approach to exploring discs. When I was still up in Nanaimo and playing League, most of the members of the club were pretty open to letting folks check out their discs if there was a mold someone was curious about - but actually buying and trying them was the most consistent way to check things out.

These days*, I'm much more dialed in on what I want or need, so disc purchases have slowed to back-up copies of my most used discs and the occasional trying of different plastics or a different brand's version of same/similar discs.

*"These days," is a bit of a misnomer, since I haven't been out much at all during the past 2 years, but up until that point I was out as often as I could be.

Because I’m bored and this is more interesting than doing work, let’s talk brands. I know the majors - Innova, DD, discraft, etc. Any sleeper brands I should check out? Any “oh god don’t” sort of companies to avoid?

Kastaplast is kind of a 'tweener I guess - not really major but not that sleeper either. Their disc selection is still much less than most other brands, but they have, IMO, the best-feeling plastic in the game. Also, the best glow plastic if you're ever inclined that way.

Reko is a fantastic throwing putter and putting putter - I switched from Prodigy PA-3s to Rekos a long time back because they felt so much better.

Berg is probably the most unique disc on the market and I absolutely love mine. It's got no glide and drops like a brick once it's gone as far as you throw it - great utility disc. I've actually been putting with a Berg lately since I'm very out of practice and want to avoid big comebackers if I'm going for longer putts.

Stal is a nice Firebird analog, but I like my Firebirds too much to replace them.

I'm less familiar with the rest of the Kastaplast line-up, but definitely consider them to be worth checking out.

I always wanted to check out a Prodiscus Jokeri as well, but have yet to do so.

Because I’m bored and this is more interesting than doing work, let’s talk brands. I know the majors - Innova, DD, discraft, etc. Any sleeper brands I should check out? Any “oh god don’t” sort of companies to avoid?
I have an image in my head of ya scrolling through page after page of discs half listening as a co-worker asks you a question.

So I went back out to try again. Found a beginner friendly course near my in-laws and my daughter came along. We started getting into a groove after 7-8 baskets. The Discraft Meteor was working for me and my daughter was using a Tursas. Here’s a shot from right before my one and only par of the day (yay me I actually got a par!). Might go back out in 3-4 days, if possible, before heading back home.

IMG_0340.jpeg

So I went back out to try again. Found a beginner friendly course near my in-laws and my daughter came along. We started getting into a groove after 7-8 baskets. The Discraft Meteor was working for me and my daughter was using a Tursas. Here’s a shot from right before my one and only par of the day (yay me I actually got a par!). Might go back out in 3-4 days, if possible, before heading back home.

View attachment 180386
Looks like a beautiful day and nice park.

Looks like a beautiful day and nice park.

Not bad place at all.We skipped one hole in the woods that had too much rain water under the hanging basket. There was some par 3 golf intertwined but everyone was respectful. There was even a soccer golf course intertwined in there too (and people playing).

Weather is fantastic today. We had some rain yesterday when we went to Canada’s Wonderland but today is perfect.

Last edited:
The gf got her first disc bag and I decided to replace my 15 year old Innova lunchbox that was falling apart so naturally it’s been 95° and headed for 105° this week.
I picked up this one a couple years ago.
it can comfortably carry 5 discs, my wallet, phone, keys, one-hitter, and hydro flask. I also like that it’s made in the USA and obviously given the name it allows for hours of bad jokes that my SO can roll her eyes to.

Last edited:
I picked up this one a couple years ago.
it can comfortably carry 5 discs, my wallet, phone, keys, one-hitter, and hydro flask. I also like that it’s made in the USA and obviously give the name it allows for hours of bad jokes that my SO can roll her eyes to.

I really hope I get to see your NutSac in person some day!

Went back out for a solo round this morning. Thought I’d hit this course near the in-laws one more time before heading back home - probably my last chance since they forecast rain the next few days. Kept score too. 5 pars this time and so close to a birdie. But I was horrible on #4 (threw in the woods twice). And I managed to lodge a disc in a tree at one point - that I eventually got down by flinging another disc at. But all and all good walk and nice weather.

IMG_0388.jpeg
IMG_0383.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg

Even though it’s 90 jillion degrees I drive out to check out a little throw-putt 9 hole. Weirdly, it’s located on the grounds of an Interstate Battery warehouse office (but it’s open to the public to play). Cute little mostly hazard-less/semi-flat all par 2-3 course. The gf is excited to play so she can try really hucking a driver without fear of creeking it or losing it in the woods. Looks like a great little learning course.

Edit: this course. Thank you for not peeing in the bushes. Interstate Battery - Urbandale, IA | UDisc Disc Golf Course Directory | UDisc

Last edited:
The temperature is down and the smoke is clearing, so I'm hoping this Friday I can reunite with a disc golf pal I havent seen since shortly after Cadence was born (one of the only half a dozen or so rounds I managed to play last year) to get a morning round in at a not entirely official, but not entirely renegade course near here dubbed 'The Ruins' - someone set up a tonal course on part of an old decommissioned public golf course and I really hope we get to make it official one day and put in baskets. Holes 1, 17 and 18 all have water in play, and the course design is fantastic - a little long for me to score very low, but very fun!

The fact that its still up gives me hope - we'll see what happens with development in the area and whether it can stay. All the residents of the area we met the one time I played there were pretty keen on the course - they got a kick out of watching us and didn't have to worry about their windows the way they did when golf balls were a factor!

If my buddy is unavailable to play that course I'll probably pack my bag up-island a little past where I'll be picking my son up in the afternoon to play a fun little woods/open mixed course around the community center up there.

I'm sure my scores will be shite either way, but I'm excited to finally get back out!

Back