All things disc golf.

Stupid sky water!

What'd you get?!
Nothing too exciting. Needed to pick up a vanilla mid and driver so I had enough discs for the girl and me to both play a set, so I grabbed that Dynamic/L64° set with the Keystone/Fuse/Saint (the two discs loose were more than the 3-disc set, and who doesn’t need an extra putter?)

Nothing too exciting. Needed to pick up a vanilla mid and driver so I had enough discs for the girl and me to both play a set, so I grabbed that Dynamic/L64° set with the Keystone/Fuse/Saint (the two discs loose were more than the 3-disc set, and who doesn’t need an extra putter?)

I LOVE Keystones!
Pre-covid when my work and parenting schedules allowed me to get out much more I was able to get out to a really nice big private course on a farm near here and my Keystone did me wonders for a couple of the tight woods holes on the one side of the property.

Despite being my favourite course in the area, it kicked my ass on the regular- my best score on it was +4 back when I was playing quite regular. Lots over very long holes and some really tough rough as well a decent amount of OB and a pond - where my Keystone actually lived for about 4 months at one point after I tossed it in on my second throw of a 1-day 2-round tournament! 🤣🙄 Fortunately one of the regular suits up every couple/few months gather the pond collection.

I LOVE Keystones!
Pre-covid when my work and parenting schedules allowed me to get out much more I was able to get out to a really nice big private course on a farm near here and my Keystone did me wonders for a couple of the tight woods holes on the one side of the property.

Despite being my favourite course in the area, it kicked my ass on the regular- my best score on it was +4 back when I was playing quite regular. Lots over very long holes and some really tough rough as well a decent amount of OB and a pond - where my Keystone actually lived for about 4 months at one point after I tossed it in on my second throw of a 1-day 2-round tournament! 🤣🙄 Fortunately one of the regular suits up every couple/few months gather the pond collection.
I’ve never thrown DD’s before - usually pretty strictly Innova (if only because it was primarily what the place I used to buy stocked). Figured why not try something new!

I’ve never thrown DD’s before - usually pretty strictly Innova (if only because it was primarily what the place I used to buy stocked). Figured why not try something new!

I'm very much into a mixed bag. I've thrown pretty much a little bit of every brand - not enough to know their whole line-ups, but enough to get a feel for most of the plastic types, etc. I went pretty crazy my first year in and got a lot of discs - many for cheap off FB auction pages but have settled into a decent idea of what I like at this point, which spreads across most of the big manufacturers.

[Edit to add] My first 3 discs were Innova [Valkyrie, Skeeter, Aviar3] because that's all the place stocked

I checked out a pro tournament this weekend here in Minnesota and it was really cool! Seemed like it had most of the stars of the sport and the sport is still small enough you can watch them pretty close and get your discs signed. Some incredible play too.

I checked out a pro tournament this weekend here in Minnesota and it was really cool! Seemed like it had most of the stars of the sport and the sport is still small enough you can watch them pretty close and get your discs signed. Some incredible play too.

Did you follow a card or stay in one place for the day? Or a bit of both?

Did you follow a card or stay in one place for the day? Or a bit of both?
Mostly followed cards. On Saturday I followed Simon Lizotte's group as my buddy insisted he was the GOAT. He was pretty good but kind of came off a bit douchy. On Sunday I followed a women's group in the morning and I actually liked it the best of the weekend. There was great camaraderie between the athletes. After they wrapped up, I followed Nate Sexton's group as the commentary on Jomez has really helped me get into the sport. Then I followed the lead card until it got out of reach at hole 17. Beat the crowd leaving.

Overall it was really fun. Some of the megafans were almost a little creepy the way they glorified these dudes but that's for anything. Most of the vibes were very chill, respectful, and fun.

We are staying at a lakeside cottage in Manitoba with my father-in-law and various other visitors over the next week (it's my wife's 40th and she's from out this way.) I looked up disc golf and the closest course is about 45 minutes away, but it looks like I'm going to be trying to meet and get friendly with the neighbours...

1000006408.jpg

[Edit to add: I did pack 2 putters and a midrange, just in case]

Last edited:
Mostly followed cards. On Saturday I followed Simon Lizotte's group as my buddy insisted he was the GOAT. He was pretty good but kind of came off a bit douchy. On Sunday I followed a women's group in the morning and I actually liked it the best of the weekend. There was great camaraderie between the athletes. After they wrapped up, I followed Nate Sexton's group as the commentary on Jomez has really helped me get into the sport. Then I followed the lead card until it got out of reach at hole 17. Beat the crowd leaving.

Overall it was really fun. Some of the megafans were almost a little creepy the way they glorified these dudes but that's for anything. Most of the vibes were very chill, respectful, and fun.

Sorry to hear that was your experience/impression with Simon. I've definitely felt nothing but the opposite from him, and the folks I know who've played with him over the years all have nothing but good things to say about him. He can definitely be hard on himself if he's having a rough round, but otherwise I've always thought quite highly of him.

Sexton would be a must-follow for me. A buddy of mine at my home club was trying to get him to come do a Sexton Shootout at our course a few years back but dad life interceded, and I can't fault him in the least for that.

Conrad would also be must-follow for me - he's my favourite player, especially when he can get his full woods-wizard on! He had a bummer final round though. Was wild to see him take it out on his disc as he's usually the coolest cucumber!

Sorry to hear that was your experience/impression with Simon. I've definitely felt nothing but the opposite from him, and the folks I know who've played with him over the years all have nothing but good things to say about him. He can definitely be hard on himself if he's having a rough round, but otherwise I've always thought quite highly of him.

Sexton would be a must-follow for me. A buddy of mine at my home club was trying to get him to come do a Sexton Shootout at our course a few years back but dad life interceded, and I can't fault him in the least for that.

Conrad would also be must-follow for me - he's my favourite player, especially when he can get his full woods-wizard on! He had a bummer final round though. Was wild to see him take it out on his disc as he's usually the coolest cucumber!
I think you're right about Simon. He was crushing it off the tee but the putter let him down over and over again. By the time he finished the round and walked over to the autograph tent, he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world, which I understand. Douchy wasn't the right word.

Sexton was a bit similar, but dude. I did not realize how much he spins and flips his disc before every shot! It was exhausting to be honest. He did throw some stellar forehands though.

Conrad was fun to watch in the final card and you could tell the crowd really wanted him to clutch up. Just wasn't meant to be. He has such a wild driver delivery.

I play very casually and never paid much attention to the discs I use. The conversation here makes me rethink that. Any recommendations for a good beginner driver / midrange? Something that will somewhat compensate for my lousy form?

I play very casually and never paid much attention to the discs I use. The conversation here makes me rethink that. Any recommendations for a good beginner driver / midrange? Something that will somewhat compensate for my lousy form?
My recommendation:

Starter Driver - Innova Leopard: 6, 5, -2, 1
Starter Mid - Discraft Buzzz: 5, 4, -1, 1
Starter Putter - Innova Aviar: 2, 3, 0, 1

Key: Speed, Glide, Turn, Fade

Those recommendations come from someone who’s a Southpaw and usually throws backhanded. Your results my vary using a different throwing technique but those are the ones I usually see mentioned for beginners.

Last edited:
My recommendation:

Starter Driver - Innova Leopard: 6, 5, -2, 1
Starter Mid - Discraft Buzzz: 5, 4, -1, 1
Starter Putter - Innova Aviar: 2, 3, 0, 1

Key: Speed, Glide, Turn, Fade

These are very solid recommendations.

I'd offer as a couple of additional possibilities:

Starter Putter - Kastaplast Reko: 3, 3, 0, 1
IMO, Kastaplast has the best feeling plastic in the game, if a still somewhat limited selection of moulds.

Starter forehand Approach - Discraft Zone: 4, 3, 0, 3
Solid stability and feels great in the hand - great for learning, building on your short flick approach shots and grows great with your arm for bigger longer approaches too. My absolute favourite disc - I bag between 2 and 4 at a time (different plastics and degrees of beat in) depending on course/tournament etc.

I've hit 4 aces since I started playing - 2 of them were with my Leopard3 (slightly faster and less glide than a regular Leopard) and my other 2 are each on a different Zone (one a harder skippier one, the other a gummier one that I originally used specifically for backhand, including for the ace, but now throw both ways.)

After years of seeing them plugged while watching disc golf, I decided to take advantage of their Prime Day 30% Off sale and ordered a couple of Grip6 belts. Pretty stoked to give these things a try - especially the prospect of not having buckle creases in my fat gut after sitting for any decent length of time. Hoping they live up to the hype l, and stoked to know I can return them easily if not. The fact that I had a shipping notice in under an hour after ordering is also pretty slick!

Back