All things disc golf.

Huck is another term for throw that was pretty commonly used in the disc golf scene I started playing in.

The largest character on the packing for these noodles looks like a brush sketch of a disc golf basket. So everytime I see these it reminds me I'm not playing enough disc golf!

I didn't know that word at all - I'll go to bed less stupid tonight! Well, maybe, assuming all the brain cells remain.

And wow, that's true! I won't be able to unsee the target on those ramen packs now. There's even the perspective of the disc right in the middle, flying towards it.

Got out on Memorial Day to play. The more I watch the pros play the more appreciative I am of wide open courses like we play on here. I couldn't imagine how bad my score would be if I had to play through a forest like some of those courses.

View attachment 174078

I looooove woods golf! It's definitely my favourite! Feels daunting being my only close option right now though after not really playing for 19-20 months, though! But my wife and I are spending a night up-island this weekend while the kids stay with my folks and we will be right near my favourite course on the island! Pretty stoked to get out there again (and hopefully not lose any discs!)

*also none of the woods courses I've played have had elite distance AND woods - they've all been mostly under 200 foot holes, but very technical shots. A 400+ foot hole in the woods would be a whole different kind of intense!

I looooove woods golf! It's definitely my favourite! Feels daunting being my only close option right now though after not really playing for 19-20 months, though! But my wife and I are spending a night up-island this weekend while the kids stay with my folks and we will be right near my favourite course on the island! Pretty stoked to get out there again (and hopefully not lose any discs!)

*also none of the woods courses I've played have had elite distance AND woods - they've all been mostly under 200 foot holes, but very technical shots. A 400+ foot hole in the woods would be a whole different kind of intense!
I'm heading to the east coast for a few weeks in August, this course is relatively close to where my mom lives, definitely gonna try it out. Gonna be a very different experience.

Just saw this on Grateful Dead Reddit, figured the cross section between the two groups.

Just saw this on Grateful Dead Reddit, figured the cross section between the two groups.
Thanks! Sent the link to my kids, since fathers day is coming up....

I've had my new phone nearly 6 months and only just today got around to installing Udisc - a year to the day, apparently, since I played the course I learned on, and 256 since I played at all...

1000004883.jpg

Just a little 6-hole course at a nearby middle school while the wife and kids play at the playground, but damn it's nice to be throwing again!

So I dug my discs out this weekend. It’s been a long time and since last I played (and I wasn’t specifically very good back then even) my hand doesn’t really, well, work the same. Specifically my fingers no longer straighten out. So I’m looking at some alternate throwing methods/techniques. At the same time, my gf wants to start playing too. Anyone have some basics/videos/good starting spots? Specifically driving off the tee?

So I dug my discs out this weekend. It’s been a long time and since last I played (and I wasn’t specifically very good back then even) my hand doesn’t really, well, work the same. Specifically my fingers no longer straighten out. So I’m looking at some alternate throwing methods/techniques. At the same time, my gf wants to start playing too. Anyone have some basics/videos/good starting spots? Specifically driving off the tee?
You throw backhanded, sidearmed, or overhand typically? I am backhand southpaw driver and haven’t experimented too much with overhand or sidearmed so I am not sure if that would be easier or harder with hand-grasp issues but it might be worth going to an open park and experiment with different grips and drive techniques. See what feels comfortable, it would be good for your GF too you could toss em back and forth and see what works best.

Here is a video on different grips

And one on types of drives

You throw backhanded, sidearmed, or overhand typically? I am backhand southpaw driver and haven’t experimented too much with overhand or sidearmed so I am not sure if that would be easier or harder with hand-grasp issues but it might be worth going to an open park and experiment with different grips and drive techniques. See what feels comfortable, it would be good for your GF too you could toss em back and forth and see what works best.

Here is a video on different grips

And one on types of drives

Thanks, I’m gonna check that out. I’d always thrown backhand (righty), but even when I did that my run up sucked so I’m open to trying something new.

I may actually still be able to throw backhand with the finger pop. I’d still like to learn to throw sidearm though. My sidearm has always sucked.

I was a little surprised the gf suggested playing, but I have enough discs for both of us to run a basic set and there’s a ton of courses around here. I’m not even attempting my old distance drivers until I can throw a Leopard reliably, so a basic driver, a midrange/approach, and a putter each should get us started.

w
Thanks, I’m gonna check that out. I’d always thrown backhand (righty), but even when I did that my run up sucked so I’m open to trying something new.

I may actually still be able to throw backhand with the finger pop. I’d still like to learn to throw sidearm though. My sidearm has always sucked.

I was a little surprised the gf suggested playing, but I have enough discs for both of us to run a basic set and there’s a ton of courses around here. I’m not even attempting my old distance drivers until I can throw a Leopard reliably, so a basic driver, a midrange/approach, and a putter each should get us started.
Nice! Yeah my SO loves to play, last summer she even purchased her own disc set and bag (prior she would just borrow mine).

w

Nice! Yeah my SO loves to play, last summer she even purchased her own disc set and bag (prior she would just borrow mine).
I’m looking forward to getting out again. It’s been at least 10-12 years since I played. Honestly hadn’t even thought about it until she suggested it when we were hiking on Saturday and we passed a tee box on the way to the trailhead.

There’s at least a dozen courses here, so it should give us something else to entertain ourselves with this summer.

It took a while before I was comfortable throwing sidearm off the tee and it still isn't a shot I go to for bigger distance but the majority of courses I get out to are shorter woods courses and overall I'd say I'm 50/50 between RHBH and RHFH these days, though way out of practice the past couple of years.

My gateway for the forehand was getting a Zone and using it for approach shots until I got very comfortable with touchy shorter approaches and slowly adding a bit more power before moving up to other discs - Buzzz OS was my next step up then I had a sweet M4 that I was able to flick razor straight for a goodly while (and was one of my first dye jobs) but eventually lost that to the woods.

These days I bag a Volt, and 1 or 2 Thunderbirds and Firebirds for sidearm off the tee, but I still mostly and absolutely swear by the Zone and never bag less than 2 (a skippy plastic and a grippy plastic) - it's beadless and feels great in the hand on a flick grip, and I've yet to find anything close. I remember being really curious about the Harp watching Wysoki throw his a few years back, since it's a similar class and style of disc, but the rim is a bit deeper than a Zone and I never enjoyed the feel in my hand.

Dunno if any if this is helpful and YMMV, of course, but I would recommend grabbing a base plastic Zone and giving it a whirl in your short game (the beauty of using it primarily in your short game at first is the base plastic won't get chewed up as quick so the stability should last you long enough to get a good feel for it.)

Recently discovered the game and been really enjoying the dozen times I’ve played so far. Unfortunately there’s not many courses in the DC area. I have noticed sometimes there are pins A B C D in some courses. Can some care to enlighten me as to what this represents?

Recently discovered the game and been really enjoying the dozen times I’ve played so far. Unfortunately there’s not many courses in the DC area. I have noticed sometimes there are pins A B C D in some courses. Can some care to enlighten me as to what this represents?

This can help maximize playability within the same physical space. In the case of the course I learned on (and still kinda consider my home course even though I live 2 hours away now and rarely get there lately) every hole has an A and B pin position (and two different tee pads), but only the one basket. Anytime there's a tournament on the course they will usually switch a few basket positions to shake things up a bit. Sometimes if there is a long time between tournaments they may even do it part way though League season. I love it because it can radically affect the difficulty of some holes where one pin position plays much easier and the other far more difficult, or if the difficulty remains the same it changes up the lines and/or discs you're throwing.

For the first year or two I was playing this was particularly great because the only other nearby course was an unofficial course made for big arms with very rough rough - it was renowned for eating discs and not somewhere broke learning me really wanted to play if it meant losing a disc I could scarcely afford to replace, so the multiple pin positions at our official course offered a bit of extra variety.

it’s a great game. Glad you’re enjoying it.

Back