All things disc golf.

Still pretty new to disc golf but I think I might grab a basket for the basement during the snow months.
I absolutely didn’t need it, but it’ll be great to use at the school about a block over as a target or in the yard so my gf can kick my ass at putting “HORSE.”

What do you guys like for putters - in both mold and weight. Messed around with a few over the weekend and curious what you all use/like/hate.

I'd be curious about this too. These are the ones I've been trying. Went with some tried and true basics for beginners. The Aviar and the Reko seemed to be better for me on the last outing, but maybe I'm also getting better at throwing putters for finishing. Approach is another story because I still have a hard time gauging the appropriate arm speed (I either throw too hard or just plop it without enough force). So I tend to play it safe to not overthrow and lose the disc. I also picked up a Berg but I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

IMG_0420.JPG

What do you guys like for putters - in both mold and weight. Messed around with a few over the weekend and curious what you all use/like/hate.

I used PA-3s from Prodigy for a long while but then made the move to Rekos because the K3 plastic feels amazing. For putting I go 175g and I have a 167g for throwing when there is no wind.

When putting into a headwind I'll switch over to a Zone, and usually keep a base plastic one in my (full) bag specifically for this purpose.

Because I've been so out of practice the past couple of years, I've actually been putting with my K1 Berg simply to avoid long comebackers since it'll drop like a brick close to the basket, rather than sail past. Not the setup I'd recommend, but it's been somewhat working for me lately.

The Berg as an approach disc is awesome, especially if you're coming at a fast or tricky green - with no glide, it just goes as far as you throw it and then plummets. A very cool disc. I love it!

As far as THROWING putters go, I love my Keystones so much that I seldom throw a Reko, but they are also great throwing putters!

Aviars are the true classic putter for sure, and I know a lot of folks that love Dynamic Discs but I'm not super familiar with their putters myself.

I used PA-3s from Prodigy for a long while but then made the move to Rekos because the K3 plastic feels amazing. For putting I go 175g and I have a 167g for throwing when there is no wind.

When putting into a headwind I'll switch over to a Zone, and usually keep a base plastic one in my (full) bag specifically for this purpose.

Because I've been so out of practice the past couple of years, I've actually been putting with my K1 Berg simply to avoid long comebackers since it'll drop like a brick close to the basket, rather than sail past. Not the setup I'd recommend, but it's been somewhat working for me lately.

The Berg as an approach disc is awesome, especially if you're coming at a fast or tricky green - with no glide, it just goes as far as you throw it and then plummets. A very cool disc. I love it!

As far as THROWING putters go, I love my Keystones so much that I seldom throw a Reko, but they are also great throwing putters!

Aviars are the true classic putter for sure, and I know a lot of folks that love Dynamic Discs but I'm not super familiar with their putters myself.
I’ve got a Keystone I’m trying to figure out. Thing is like throwing a round brick. I like it and feel like it has a purpose, but I’m not sure I’ve figured out what that is.

Unrelated (sorta related?) I only recently found out about Innova’s free Friday codes. If you watch their socials, on Fridays they feature a disc from their catalog of seconds they send free when you buy any 3 other discs (including seconds). Each code is only good once and only good on that day. I was going to order a few factory second putter/plastics to mess with when I heard about this. So I’ll wait until Friday. Last week was a Beast, so it’s worth waiting for I think.

Last edited:
Unrelated (sorta related?) I only recently found out about Innova’s free Friday codes. If you watch their socials, on Fridays they feature a disc from their catalog of seconds they send free when you buy any 3 other discs (including seconds). I was going to order a few factory second putter/plastics to mess with when I heard about this. So I’ll wait until Friday. Last week was a Beast, so it’s worth waiting for I think.

That's really cool.
Also, factory seconds are the shit! A nice way to get discs on the cheap - especially great for dyeing or trying new molds.
I have a lightweight factory second Firebird that fast became one of my favourite discs - when the wind is down, I can get a decent bit more distance out of it than out of my Sexton Firebird, so I'll reach for it off the tee a little more often, while my SexyBird is great for tighter corners.

I haven't finished watching the FPO coverage yet, and have managed to avoid spoilers thus far (though I'm reasonably certain I know how it played out) but the MPO was definitely an exciting finish! I'm happy with how it went down, and it was definitely well-deserved.

I haven't finished watching the FPO coverage yet, and have managed to avoid spoilers thus far (though I'm reasonably certain I know how it played out) but the MPO was definitely an exciting finish! I'm happy with how it went down, and it was definitely well-deserved.
I watched the FPO highlights but haven’t gotten around to watching the MPO. Sounded good though.

I watched the FPO highlights but haven’t gotten around to watching the MPO. Sounded good though.

MPO was riveting, as expected. This has been by far the most exciting season of the Pro Tour yet - the level of play is just so fantastically high, and the parity in the field makes for much excitement and unpredictability! I'm hoping, and feel like, we're only a couple of years away from seeing a similar situation in the FPO now that more focus is being put on equity in payouts and coverage. Was nice that one of the two courses at Smuggs was designed well for FPO play, rather than just having the women play on the MPO layout and score much higher.

And as far as Jomez specifically goes, it is always exciting to see the extra frills and upgrades they put into their Worlds coverage every year - and both MPO and FPO commentary teams are at the top of their game.

I'd be curious about this too. These are the ones I've been trying. Went with some tried and true basics for beginners. The Aviar and the Reko seemed to be better for me on the last outing, but maybe I'm also getting better at throwing putters for finishing. Approach is another story because I still have a hard time gauging the appropriate arm speed (I either throw too hard or just plop it without enough force). So I tend to play it safe to not overthrow and lose the disc. I also picked up a Berg but I haven't figured out how to use it yet.
Started on the MVP Anode. Now I'm trying the Dynamic Discs Warden. I like the heavier weight so far.

For putting putters I'd generally recommend max weight as that will serve you better in the wind. If you ever get to point where you're going to be playing tournaments, I'd recommend getting whatever overstable putter is most like whichever putter you generally use, and the same weight as your main putter - you can switch to this when putting into a headwind.

For throwing putters I would say there's more room for weight variance based on your arm speed and desired throw.

Speaking of putting... what's your putting style?
  • Spin putt?
  • Push putt?
  • Loft putt?
  • Other?
I've been predominantly a push putter (particularly since a lot of my local courses the past few years have been tonals instead of baskets), but have had occasional success with spin putting - especially in the wind. I imagine myself having more time for disc come next season and hope to work on advancing my spin putt.

From outside of the circle I'm more partial to a step putt than a jump putt.

Back