A Simple Twist Of Fate - The Bob Dylan Thread

And a signed copy can be yours for the low cost of $599.99

And might not even be signed by Bob!

so, did they really just push out the awesome organ on this for the new mix? 😬

also, i received an unexpected package in the mail today from the dylan store. it's heavy snowing out, and he package was left on the stairs exposed to the elements. the envelope was soaked, and i was going to be mad. but then i opened it and inside was a dylan branded rain poncho, presumably sent as a bonus or something for my recent order. so now i can't be mad, because the poncho protected itself. what great timing!

so, did they really just push out the awesome organ on this for the new mix? 😬

also, i received an unexpected package in the mail today from the dylan store. it's heavy snowing out, and he package was left on the stairs exposed to the elements. the envelope was soaked, and i was going to be mad. but then i opened it and inside was a dylan branded rain poncho, presumably sent as a bonus or something for my recent order. so now i can't be mad, because the poncho protected itself. what great timing!

I got a poncho too yesterday. Mine was red, I saw online there are various colors.

Yeah, I’ve listened to everything, but the remix which I might get to tomorrow, was a bit shocked at some of the live stuff , quality wise, looks like most are Audience tapes,but anyway stays on Theme I guess, a lot better than the last couple of Bootleg Series for me, pretty pretty good.

For those that have the full version of the latest Bootleg Series entry, are all of the alternate takes of the same songs worth the price tag? I picked up the 2 CD version, and I thinking that might be all I need for this one. Maybe the live material makes the expanded version more essential? I haven’t listened to all of what I did get, but, save two songs or so, it is basically the same songs duplicated across the two discs. Kind of wishing they had tackled a different period with this entry, but I get that Dylan was always wanting to adjust the mix on TOOM.

Probably not, the live stuff is a lot of pretty lofi recordings , a few great performances but they are mostly Audience tapes, it’s a lot of extra coin, I only have a download of it. I believe the whole lot is up on YouTube to listen to.
For those that have the full version of the latest Bootleg Series entry, are all of the alternate takes of the same songs worth the price tag? I picked up the 2 CD version, and I thinking that might be all I need for this one. Maybe the live material makes the expanded version more essential? I haven’t listened to all of what I did get, but, save two songs or so, it is basically the same songs duplicated across the two discs. Kind of wishing they had tackled a different period with this entry, but I get that Dylan was always wanting to adjust the mix on TOOM.

Both the sets are on Spotify (the 4LP here / the 10LP here).

I love this period of Dylan, and have enjoyed all the songs. But I'm really conflicted about this set. The 4LP costs £100 more or less - I don't care for the remixed version, so that £100 for 2 discs. Feels too much. I like the music on the 10LP but £200 is a lot. So at the moment I'm not buying anything. Increasingly, I'm waiting to pick up boxsets when they go on sale. Revolver 4LP is another case in point - 2 LPs of (great) outtakes but £140 is just too much for that, given I don't need any more copies of the original album. Given that my boxset shelf (top of 4 Kallax cubes) is over full, it doesn't feel too bad a decision...

I hope that this is peak Vinyl, but I don’t have any thing that says that, I haven’t bought the last few Bootleg Series on Cd or Vinyl and I don’t have a problem with that, I tend to wait for things to go on sale now as down here, we often pay a bullshit premium, and Fuck that Shit!!
Both the sets are on Spotify (the 4LP here / the 10LP here).

I love this period of Dylan, and have enjoyed all the songs. But I'm really conflicted about this set. The 4LP costs £100 more or less - I don't care for the remixed version, so that £100 for 2 discs. Feels too much. I like the music on the 10LP but £200 is a lot. So at the moment I'm not buying anything. Increasingly, I'm waiting to pick up boxsets when they go on sale. Revolver 4LP is another case in point - 2 LPs of (great) outtakes but £140 is just too much for that, given I don't need any more copies of the original album. Given that my boxset shelf (top of 4 Kallax cubes) is over full, it doesn't feel too bad a decision...

I hope that this is peak Vinyl, but I don’t have any thing that says that, I haven’t bought the last few Bootleg Series on Cd or Vinyl and I don’t have a problem with that, I tend to wait for things to go on sale now as down here, we often pay a bullshit premium, and Fuck that Shit!!
Smart to wait for a sale. I grabbed the 4LP from Target for $55 or something like that and I’m sure it will go lower here at least

Probably not, the live stuff is a lot of pretty lofi recordings , a few great performances but they are mostly Audience tapes, it’s a lot of extra coin, I only have a download of it. I believe the whole lot is up on YouTube to listen to.
Just streamed a couple of the live tracks. What a disappointment. A fucking joke actually. I went to a bunch of his shows in the early aughts and loved that band. Always hoped that one day they would do an official live album from this era with high-quality audio. These tracks on Fragments don't sound any better than the audience recordings I downloaded from bittorrent sites 20 years ago.

Just streamed a couple of the live tracks. What a disappointment. A fucking joke actually. I went to a bunch of his shows in the early aughts and loved that band. Always hoped that one day they would do an official live album from this era with high-quality audio. These tracks on Fragments don't sound any better than the audience recordings I downloaded from bittorrent sites 20 years ago.

I think I’ll go with the two cd on this set - lot of discussion about the live stuff being sub par

I finally listened to all of the 2 CD set, and I’ve decided that is all I need here. In my mind, the disc with the alternate versions of the album’s songs (plus a few outtakes) is what I was expecting the remixed version of the album to sound like. All of the effects removed, etc. And while I do find some of those takes to be exceptional, the removal of those effects kinda has the songs blending together a bit too much for me. I do hear a difference between the original album mix and the new remix of the album, but it isn’t this revelatory change for me like I was anticipating. Again, this was an interesting project, but I’m not sure it warranted the Bootleg Series moniker. Seems like they could have just put out the new remix, and maybe packaged it with the original album.

I dug this up to fulfill a request on another site and the link is already copied, so....

A Black Crowes show I taped in 2009 with Luther Dickinson absolutely losing his mind on a cover of Bob Dylan's 'Girl From The North Country'.

Back