A Simple Twist Of Fate - The Bob Dylan Thread

Alright so the comp is really, really great, but I guess my CD's got some scratches, and the end of "Most of the Time" and all of "Sad Eyed Lady" are riddled with pops and glitches, to the point where "Sad Eyed Lady" is unlistenable. (In not buying CDs for so long, I forgot that this shit happens sometimes.) Would anyone else who has the mag be willing and able to rip a copy of those two tunes and send them this way? @Aron @TheThinWhiteDuke

I think we were able to get @BjorgenFjorgen squared away with those two songs that were giving him problems from his copy of the Uncut magazine CD.

I was actually inspired by that Uncut CD to compile my own playlist of favorite Dylan covers from over the years. Well, that's not exactly true. I actually put together a CD of songs to listen to in my car, and then made the Spotify playlist from that. Or at least as close as I could get to the CD version because a few of those songs weren't available on Spotify, which meant I got to include a few totally different songs. I really like the CD version better, but the Spotify version isn't bad by any means. One thing I wanted to note, the various streaming platforms have the titles and audio off on that Clancy Brothers album. The song listed as 'Lily Marlene' is actually their cover of 'When The Ship Comes In'. Apple Music has the same issue, so I'm not sure what's going on, but the titles seem to be off by one track throughout the entire album. Anywho...

And, for those interested, here is the tracklist for the CD version:
  1. 'Lovesick (Live)' - The White Stripes ("Fell In Love With A Girl (CD Single #2)")
  2. 'Goin' To Acapulco' - Jim James & Calexico ("I'm Not There" Soundtrack)
  3. 'Buckets Of Rain' - Neko Case (Starbucks' "Sweetheart 2005: Love Songs" Compilation)
  4. 'When I Paint My Masterpiece' - The Band ("Cahoots")
  5. 'Blowin' In The Wind' - The Staple Singers ("Faith and Grace: A Family Journey 1953-1976")
  6. 'Mr. Tambourine Man' - The Byrds ("Mr. Tambourine Man")
  7. 'I've Made Up My Mind To Give Myself To You' - Cowboy Junkies ("Uncut: Dylan Revisited")
  8. 'When The Ship Comes In' - The Clancy Brothers & Robbie O'Connell ("Older But Wiser")
  9. 'You Ain't Goin' Nowhere' - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova ("I'm Not There" Soundtrack)
  10. 'A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall' - Edie Brickell & New Bohemians ("Born On The Fourth Of July" Soundtrack)
  11. 'Dark Eyes (Live)" - Alejandro Escovedo (YouTube Rip-Live From The Texas Union 10-01-04)
  12. 'Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again' - Cat Power ("I'm Not There" Soundtrack)
  13. 'All Along The Watchtower' - The Jimi Hendrix Experience ("Electric Ladyland")
  14. 'It's All Over Now Baby Blue' - Marianne Faithfull ("Rich Kid Blues")
  15. 'Pressing On' - John Doe ("I'm Not There" Soundtrack)
  16. 'Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands' - Weyes Blood ("Uncut: Dylan Revisited")

I think we were able to get @BjorgenFjorgen squared away with those two songs that were giving him problems from his copy of the Uncut magazine CD.
We were, thanks again! I've been listening to it constantly.

Some great selections on your CD! "Goin' to Acapulco" and "Stuck Inside of Mobile" are two of my favourites from I'm Not There and I think I've gotten my partner on board for having that "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" as our future wedding song. Jim O'Rourke's "Sad Eyed Lady" and Steve Gunn's "Visions of Johanna" from that Blonde on Blonde Revisited I mentioned are also excellent. Eager to check out the rest of your choices!

We were, thanks again! I've been listening to it constantly.

Some great selections on your CD! "Goin' to Acapulco" and "Stuck Inside of Mobile" are two of my favourites from I'm Not There and I think I've gotten my partner on board for having that "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" as our future wedding song. Jim O'Rourke's "Sad Eyed Lady" and Steve Gunn's "Visions of Johanna" from that Blonde on Blonde Revisited I mentioned are also excellent. Eager to check out the rest of your choices!

In going back through various songs, I was reminded that Edie Brickell's cover of 'A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall' was kind of my gateway into Dylan. Or at least one of the things that helped open the door. And I forgot how much I enjoy her version. Very cool that you might have that version of 'You Ain't Goin' Nowhere' as your wedding song. Fingers crossed for you on that one.

In going back through various songs, I was reminded that Edie Brickell's cover of 'A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall' was kind of my gateway into Dylan. Or at least one of the things that helped open the door. And I forgot how much I enjoy her version. Very cool that you might have that version of 'You Ain't Goin' Nowhere' as your wedding song. Fingers crossed for you on that one.
I don't think I've heard that one, but I'm copying over your playlist onto YouTube Music and will give it a run through this evening! (Including the two Uncut tunes.) I may have to have a go at compiling my favourite dozen or so Dylan covers as well.

I was already kind of into Dylan -- a big fan of Highway 61 and Freewheelin' and a couple other albums -- but when I was around 23 or 24 I saw I'm Not There and bought the soundtrack, and over the next few years, bonding with so many of those covers really helped me deepen by relationship with the originals and delve more into Dylan's full catalog. Now 8 or 9 years later he's my favourite artist and I listen to him constantly, haha. Similar thing happened with the Grateful Dead -- was never a fan until I fell in love with the Day of the Dead tribute comp.

I was already kind of into Dylan -- a big fan of Highway 61 and Freewheelin' and a couple other albums -- but when I was around 23 or 24 I saw I'm Not There and bought the soundtrack, and over the next few years, bonding with so many of those covers really helped me deepen by relationship with the originals and delve more into Dylan's full catalog. Now 8 or 9 years later he's my favourite artist and I listen to him constantly, haha. Similar thing happened with the Grateful Dead -- was never a fan until I fell in love with the Day of the Dead tribute comp.

"Born On the Fourth Of July" came out in 1989, so hearing that Edie Brickell was very likely my first step into really exploring Dylan further. I do remember seeing the 'Jokerman' video on MTV a lot back in the day, and I know I had heard 'Like A Rolling Stone' and a few others on the radio. My next step was when I was a Junior in high school. I had this really great teacher for my AP English class, and he had us do an oral report kind of thing on someone included on this giant list of non-conformists throughout history. I picked Dylan, and got really into the project the more I researched him and listened to some of his music. I think I bought the original "Greatest Hits" CD for research purposes. Around that same time the first Bootleg Series box set came out, and that sealed the deal.

I like how some covers force me to hear a song differently, or allow me to be more receptive to a song than I originally was. I've never been that big a fan of "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again". It's alright, but I've just never included it on any favorites lists or playlists. There's something about that Cat Power version though. Which is interesting because it isn't that different from the original in terms of the approach or instrumentation. She totally nails that mid-60s Dylan vocal phrasing, and yet it still has a bit of a Cat Power feel too. It's just really appealing all around.

I've been listening to like 90% Dylan covers since that last discussion. Not done a list or anything yet but I'm sure this would be on it:

Also stumbled upon this tonight. As mentioned in another thread, the I'm Not There soundtrack turned me from a Dylan fan to like a Bob Dylan person. But even though I loved Sufjan Stevens I hated his "Ring Them Bells." Not loving the maximalism for it. Just a few years ago I started listening to Oh Mercy. Thought, oh, Ring Them Bells. Never liked that song. This is okay." But this is great:

Yeah, I really love the atmosphere Lanois helped create for Dylan, particularly on “Oh Mercy”. I don’t get the sense Dylan himself likes that atmosphere, or at least the way Lanois got to that sound, but I love it. Even the outtakes from that record sound fantastic to my ears.

Loving the vibe of this "livestream" right now. Bob sounds great and the band is awesome.
Did anyone else tune into this? So it became apparent pretty quickly that the band was lip syncing, but it's a great visual experience and, more importantly, it was like all-new versions of a ton of classic songs and they sounded awesome. Going to rewatch it tomorrow night but I'd love a proper audio release of these recordings.

Yeah, I really love the atmosphere Lanois helped create for Dylan, particularly on “Oh Mercy”. I don’t get the sense Dylan himself likes that atmosphere, or at least the way Lanois got to that sound, but I love it. Even the outtakes from that record sound fantastic to my ears.
Yeah, I love it too. I don't like Time Out of Mind as much but it's certainly got a very unique sound. I think I remember reading the same, that Dylan wasn't really too satisfied with the sound of the album. It might actually have been in Chronicles, him saying that. And yet, he worked with him again eight years later, and dedicated like a quarter of his book to that time and album. Must have been pretty happy with it.

Yeah baby! Eager to hear more like "Too Late" from the recent Uncut comp (early acoustic version of "Foot of Pride" where you can hear him working out all the lyrics, and includes a talking remark of "No, not really" that always makes me laugh). Have been digging Infidels a lot recently.

I realize this thread has had a lot of me talking to myself recently but:

Really like the full band version of "Too Late" released with the announcement today. I think I prefer the (I think two-guitar) version released on the Uncut comp the other month, but I've been obsessed with that song since I heard it.

Awesome, raucous version of "Cold Irons Bound":

Just listening to Infidels for the first time in years seeing as I just picked up a really clean Japanese OG.

My thoughts:

1. There’s some good songs on here; but
2. The production is horrendous; and
3. The music is really ponderous, could the guitar lines be any more dull? So
4. I hope there are some stripped back versions on the new bootleg set.
5. While the above also applies side B has a least a smidge more life in it.

Last edited:
Back