A Simple Twist Of Fate - The Bob Dylan Thread

What would you guys recommend for a cheap but good sounding / easy to get pressing of Nashville skyline?

I see there newest one available is a coloured one from Sony but probably just trash right?

It’s hard to know. The mastering details aren’t on cogs yet. That said unless you’re springing for the mofi every press in the last 12-15 years is pretty bog standardish with in house mastering rather than a “name” mastering engineer.

No idea but the Sony Mono box wasn't trash so it could be solid. In fact the mono box is balls to the wall magic
whilst not @MikeH mate big Kev they were all mastered by Ryan Smith, same as my MOV monos from the same year which are also really quite excellent. All the Nashville Skylines, bar the mofi, seem to be mastered in house by MOV or the other pressing plants.

Yeah, all my regular Sony/Columbia pressings are all fine so I definitely wouldn't assume it's trash.

Yeah same as but I don’t have any standards of this vintage. All the ones I have from 90s onwards are really good!

whilst not @MikeH mate big Kev they were all mastered by Ryan Smith, same as my MOV monos from the same year which are also really quite excellent. All the Nashville Skylines, bar the mofi, seem to be mastered in house by MOV or the other pressing plants.

Yeah same as but I don’t have any standards of this vintage. All the ones I have from 90s onwards are really good!

MOV has decent pressings and in house people. I think they handle most of Sony's big name legacy stuff so it could be ok.

I'd love the mofi but I think that's gone out of print. 70€ is a lot more than I'd want to spend on this album anyway though. I think I'll try out that coloured press.

Just get a black Sony unless You really want coloured vinyl for some reason , black will sound better.
MOV has decent pressings and in house people. I think they handle most of Sony's big name legacy stuff so it could be ok.

I'd love the mofi but I think that's gone out of print. 70€ is a lot more than I'd want to spend on this album anyway though. I think I'll try out that coloured press.

What would you guys recommend for a cheap but good sounding / easy to get pressing of Nashville skyline?

I see there newest one available is a coloured one from Sony but probably just trash right?
I'd second the recommendation of just getting the standard black release. I have that of Planet Waves and it sounded fine (and is available for free since I got the MoFi and need to clear space), standard cheapish release, but sounds good enough for the sub 20 price point

I grabbed the Bootleg Series Live 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue box from Target and am really enjoying it! I think it's still in the sale if anybody was lookin for that one. They have quite a few of the Bootleg series on both CD and vinyl.
It's great. If only they'd reissue Boot 4!

The one I kick myself for missing is Tell Tale Signs #8. Really dig the music on that. #4 has "play it fucking loud" though...
Totally. And 10. I think 10 and 11 are the most interesting but 4 has the best version of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues of any version I've ever heard. It's absolutely off the planet good. He was on amazing form on that tour.

I think the one that has the songs I like the most is Cutting Edge #12 - I got the full 18CD download somehow and some of the songs (the piano She's Your Lover Now, the various piano/punk versions of Desolation Row - the version of it on No Direction Home #7 is actually my favourite Dylan performance, full stop) are just incredible. I have 10 & 11 and love them, also have the Real Albert Hall concert and need to compare it to #4 properly, which I only have on CD.

Totally. And 10. I think 10 and 11 are the most interesting but 4 has the best version of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues of any version I've ever heard. It's absolutely off the planet good. He was on amazing form on that tour.
I grabbed 10 a long time ago on a steep discount . I gotta grab some more because I really do like them! I now have 10, 5 and 14.

I grabbed 10 a long time ago on a steep discount . I gotta grab some more because I really do like them! I now have 10, 5 and 14.
As @Poly-Rythmo said 12 is amazing but 11 is really, really interesting. I think it might be my personal favourite of the ones I I have (1 to 3, 11 to 15).

Finally watched Down in the Flood on Prime last night. Really well put together, learned a few new things I didn't know about the Woodstock era. Kept having to put on subtitles when Garth Hudson was speaking, haha. Would recommend.

Not sure how everyone feels about The New Basement Tapes' Lost on the River album, but I've been revisiting it quite a bit over the last few weeks and I'm really enjoying it. I remember listening when it first came out and it not making a huge impression on me, but it's been rewarding to spend more time with. I also watched this past week the Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued film (by Sam Jones, the same guy who did the excellent I Am Trying to Break Your Heart doc on Wilco) and it was great. Not as revealing as the Wilco doc, obviously, but it was fun to watch all the musicians interacting and collaborating, as well as revealing some insecurities.

Not sure how everyone feels about The New Basement Tapes' Lost on the River album, but I've been revisiting it quite a bit over the last few weeks and I'm really enjoying it. I remember listening when it first came out and it not making a huge impression on me, but it's been rewarding to spend more time with. I also watched this past week the Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued film (by Sam Jones, the same guy who did the excellent I Am Trying to Break Your Heart doc on Wilco) and it was great. Not as revealing as the Wilco doc, obviously, but it was fun to watch all the musicians interacting and collaborating, as well as revealing some insecurities.

I really liked that documentary. And even though it was a struggle, that Marcus Mumford track is one of my favorites on that collection.

I really liked that documentary. And even though it was a struggle, that Marcus Mumford track is one of my favorites on that collection.
Agreed, it's a standout. I've never listened to Dawes but was impressed with how prepared that guy seemed to be when they all met up at Capitol. Would love to hear more of Jim James' unused stuff, too.

Back