3rd Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2021)

#34. Bride Of Re-Animator (1990) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

I also bought the VHS of this one at the same time as the one above, so I we usually always watched them back to back.

This one has it's moments, but is missing something. Or maybe I just don't care for the humor they added to this one. It's not quite a horror comedy, but there is more here than their was in the original movie.

I just think it's missing Barbara Crampton.

20211022_030109 (2).jpg

#35. Beyond Re-Animator (2003) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

This 3rd entry isn't all that well thought of, but I like it equal to, if not a tad better, than Bride. I first watched the edited version when it aired on Sci-Fi (pre-SYFY).

Even with the edits, I liked it well enough to buy the DVD when it was released later. I also just bought the bluray, just because I wanted it...this DVD doesn't look all that great.

20211022_030119 (4).jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. It would have been a bit awkward if they actually used EVERYTHING that happened in the sewers from the book. That part was just odd when I read that as a kid.
Oh yeah. I assume they never even considered that particular chapter lol.

But also setting it in the 80s, aging up the kids a bit, how It appears to them, and how the kids fight it, stuff like that. It still worked for me

#36. Scream (1996) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

One of the best times I've had in a theater was when this opened and they handful of us that were staying in the dorms over Christmas break went to see it on opening night....or very close to it.

I watched this with the Movie Crypt podcast commentary that had editor Patrick Lussier as a guest.

I had planned to watch the new 4K release for this, but it was delayed. Some people have said their copy from Amazon has shipped, so maybe I'll still get it in time.

I see I also gave it an extra skull from last year. And I'm ok with that.

20211022_065057 (2).jpg

If I get time later today I may watch the other 3 movies.

#36. Scream (1996) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

One of the best times I've had in a theater was when this opened and they handful of us that were staying in the dorms over Christmas break went to see it on opening night....or very close to it.

I watched this with the Movie Crypt podcast commentary that had editor Patrick Lussier as a guest.

I had planned to watch the new 4K release for this, but it was delayed. Some people have said their copy from Amazon has shipped, so maybe I'll still get it in time.

I see I also gave it an extra skull from last year. And I'm ok with that.

View attachment 115432

If I get time later today I may watch the other 3 movies.
I watched this in a theater with my college buddies too. Amazing movie-going experience πŸ˜‚

MOVIE #47
The Pit (1981)
R (57).jpeg
This was pretty terrible, bordering on so bad it's good territory. The movie has a concept that theoretically could make for a decent story, but there's a lot wrong here. For example, the protagonist is a young kid who finds a pit filled with these carnivorous prehistoric creatures that need to be fed. It wouldn't have been very hard to make this kid a sympathetic character, but the movie instead decides to make him an unlikable pervert and it adds a creepy layer to the entire film. He also has an evil teddy bear that he can apparently communicate with but nothing ever really comes from that. The creatures themselves are kind of cool, but I'm more distracted by the fact the rest of the movie is so awful that it doesn't really even matter. It's also kind of funny that in the last 30 minutes, it basically turns into a completely different movie about trying to find the monsters and stop their rampage and the kid just completely leaves the film entirely. It's a mess and there's so much that's left unclear. It opens with a scene that's played verbatim later in the movie (which is always a good sign) but not only is this lazy, it has the added effect of making you think that the boy has a history of pushing people into the pit from the beginning when the rest of the movie implies this isn't the case. So yeah, it's not good, but because it is almost entertainingly bad, it was probably worth sitting through once just for shits and giggles.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€

MOVIE #48
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
74346.jpg
I like this movie, though I'd say it's definitely style over substance. The story is fine, being a retelling of the classic Washington Irving story that takes a lot of liberties. However, Tim Burton's flair for the gothic is what makes the movie so enjoyable. The atmosphere is on point and the whole thing feels like a modern-day homage to an old Hammer movie, with all the visual splendor and gallons of blood you would expect.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

4. Psycho (1960)

πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€ .5

Obviously a classic. It's been awhile since I've watched the whole thing! Watched it with my gf as she's never seen it before. Also has anyone seen the sequels or the Bates Motel TV show? Wondering if any are worth seeking out. I've seen the remake with Vince Vaughn which I remember being alright.
1200px-Psycho_(1960)_theatrical_poster_(retouched).jpg

4. Psycho (1960)

πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€ .5

Obviously a classic. It's been awhile since I've watched the whole thing! Watched it with my gf as she's never seen it before. Also has anyone seen the sequels or the Bates Motel TV show? Wondering if any are worth seeking out. I've seen the remake with Vince Vaughn which I remember being alright.
View attachment 115505

Part 2 is actually OK...a bit more slasher like. 3 is meh. 4 isn't too bad, but is really mostly flashback with the ET kid as Norman and Olivia Hussy as his mom.

The shot for shot remake should be forgotten. There was no reason to make it in the first place.

MOVIE #49
The Fog (1980)
R (58).jpeg
This is another movie where I think the atmosphere is one of its strongest aspects. It also has a very strong cast that helps give the film's somewhat simple story a lot more weight than it probably would have had otherwise; Adrienne Barbeau is especially good and you feel for her character's situation throughout the movie. The movie is quite slow paced, but it also doesn't linger on anything long enough to become boring, so it works. Overall, it's enjoyable.

MOVIE #50
Creepshow (1982)
R (59).jpeg
This is one of the better anthology movies out there, just purely due to the fact that each segment has at least something worth watching it for. I think having the same writer and director for every story helps give it a more cohesive quality that other anthology movies lack. I think my favorite story is actually the last one with the cockroaches, though I enjoy them all to some degree. I love how over-the-top this movie gets while still managing to have some genuinely creepy moments and ideas; it's a balance that not many other movies can manage and helps give this movie its edge.

12. The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€.5
Not my favorite of the series but still really good. These movies always make me curious about what actually happened in real life. If you don't believe what happened, really what happened here was
some guy murdered another guy and went to jail for 5 years.

13. Night of the Living Dead (1968) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I get more impressed with this after every viewing. I see other low-budget horrors from this time period and they just don’t compare. An unflinching zombie movie, I watch and somehow still end up hoping they make it.

The George A Romero classic that started it all

26934EA7-CF3E-4633-8694-AC7E83558FEC.jpeg

14. Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) πŸ’€πŸ’€

Another remake I avoided until watching for the first time this month. I don’t know, the scares were fine, it just wasn’t fun to watch this Freddy.

72D7A631-8EB8-432D-81EF-F0B18EE16054.jpeg

15. Stranger Things 3 (2019) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Since we binged the second season, we decided to do this one, too. Again, I found more things to like about this season than I did two years ago, though I still think it’s not as good as s2 or s1. It drags a bit in some episodes, but I like the characters and overall it’s fun to watch. The monster was also pretty cool

C105C6FA-7349-45BE-AC62-32ED2006B7D7.jpeg

16. Dracula (1931) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I know, you’re wondering why I’m not giving this movie five skulls but as much as I love Bela Lugosi in it, the movie is uneven. I’m cool with the hokey effects, and the acting styles of the time, but it’s overly slow in spots. And the ending is anti-climactic somehow.

But still. Bela freaking Lugosi. I always think of his Dracula whenever I think of the character.

This year, I watched it with my 11yo. He never had interest in scary movies before until now so I figured I’d start him with a classic Universal monster movie. He was into it πŸ˜‚. We’ll see if he wants to see others

39EF75A4-B5FF-47FD-B631-8D5EC1C473BD.jpeg
Couldn’t choose a movie poster. The original release year ones are great but the re-release ones are surprisingly good, too

Last edited:
25. Superhost (a πŸ’€, and a πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€)

I recommend this terrible movie. Excellent for a low budget and semi original horror movie. Suffers from idiotic decisions and very annoying people. I would not pay money to watch it, unless it was at a midnight showing and I could yell at the screen. My wife said it sucked. It's a fair review, and yet, there are things I appreciate about it and am glad I stuck with it to the end.

download (1).jpeg

Back