3rd Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2021)

26. Frankenweenie (1984) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

This is the short that Burton made before the 2012 full-length remake. It’s all right. A bit darker than what is usually considered kid-fare but still a fun watch. The black and white makes this homage to Frankenstein even better

B948368D-4792-4115-BFBC-A8459851141B.jpeg

30. Down a Dark Hall πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Came across this on HBOMax and watched it cause of the cast. It's more for a younger, probably teen girl audience, but it was ok. I liked the house it was set in and the acting wasn't bad. The story wasn't anything special. But I think my nieces would like it.

Down_A_Dark_Hall_Poster.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna count these 2 episodes as one...

#41. The Walking Dead - Season 1, Episodes 1 & 2 (2010) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Joe Bob had a special last night on Shudder with these 2 episodes, with special guest Greg Nicotero.

Yeah...the series has gone on a bit too far, and some seasons were just not good. But the first 2 episodes were pretty good.

Screenshot 2021-10-30 024824.JPG

damn....i forgot I started watching Rob Zombie's 31 the other day, then had to stop for something and never went back to it.

Guess it was forgettable. I may get back to it before I go to bed.

I work the next 4 nights, so this is probably my last few hours to add movies here. I am off for 8 days after these 4.

#42. The House on Sorority Row (1982) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Since I just got the score from Terror Vision, I figured I'd watch this.

I could have sworn I watched this for a previous Halloween thread, but I guess I just watched it some other time during the year.

Since I watched this somewhat recently I'm watching the Rifftrax version on Tubi TV

MOVIE #58
Night of the Demons (2009)
R (66).jpeg
Another horror remake from 2009. It was okay; it might actually be a little better than the original in some respects, as it fleshes out the story and characters more. However, some of the editing and effects are very dated. I think the movie does a good job at portraying the Halloweeny atmosphere and the acting overall is okay. It's worth watching once, I think, but most people would probably just rather watch the original.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

27. Frankenstein (1931) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

My dad made sure I saw this before I saw Young Frankenstein but even then, I’m not sure I saw all the connections and homages at the time. It’s of course easier to see now. πŸ˜‚

Of all the film iterations of Frankenstein, I really love this version best. Karloff gives a pathos to the monster that’s just so much more sad to me than the others.

E846323B-DB91-4617-9786-734BC445FEA4.jpeg

28. The Mummy (1932) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

More atmospheric than traditionally scary, Karloff kills it as the immortal mummy attempting to resurrect his forbidden lover. I remember being more scared from this movie than from Dracula and Frankenstein as a kid. It’s those mummy wraps, I think πŸ˜‚

218E442E-A033-4880-B765-102A38A9F9BD.jpeg

29. Labyrinth (1986) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Another kids pick for Halloween. Since they get spooked out by some of the scenes, and it’s got goblins, I think it works 😊

David Bowie as the Goblin King πŸ₯΅

I don’t think I need to say more.

A30920EC-9A5D-4B8D-BE93-C9FC3C8D3616.jpeg

Last edited:
Goodness, it’s down to the wire. Hopefully I can fit two more in by the end of the day

27. Frankenstein (1931) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

My dad made sure I saw this before I saw Young Frankenstein but even then, I’m not sure I saw all the connections and homages at the time. It’s of course easier to see now. πŸ˜‚

Of all the film iterations of Frankenstein, I really love this version best. Karloff gives a pathos to the monster that’s just so much more sad to me than the others.

View attachment 116129
I also just watched this one πŸ‘€

MOVIE #59
Frankenstein (1931)
R (68).jpeg
I wanted to get at least one of the classical Universal monster films in before the month was up and this seemed a good one to go with. It's incredible to think this movie is over 90 years old now, but it's held up and is definitely a classic. I don't need to tell anyone here how influential this movie has been on horror and pop culture in general, it sort of speaks for itself. If you've ever liked a movie that used the imagery of a mad scientist, you have this film to thank for that. And of course, Boris Karloff is the Frankenstein's monster; his performance is so enduring that nearly all depictions of the monster in pop culture are based on his appearance. Every part of this movie just feels iconic; there's no other word for it than "masterpiece."

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

MOVIE #60
Altered States (1980)
R (69).jpeg
This is the kind of batshit movie I love. I saw it for the first time some years ago and it certainly left an impact. Revisiting it again, it is still an incredibly effective piece of filmmaking. It's a hard film to describe, but if you enjoy the stranger, more cerebral side of horror, this is a must-see. The acting and writing are top notch, but what puts it over the top are the special effects. The surreal and hallucinatory imagery is used incredibly well, and though the movie threatens to go off the rails entirely (and does, depending on how you feel about the stretch of the movie where Jessup regresses into an ape-man), it never becomes too impenetrable and keeps a solid focus on the characters. It's an acquired taste, for sure, but I think it's great.

MOVIE #61
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
R (70).jpeg
Despite being a comedy, Shaun of the Dead is still one of my favorite zombie movies. Given the zombie genre is quite oversaturated (even more so now than when this movie came out), it makes for easy parody material and has a lot of comedic potential, and the film takes full advantage of that. However, underneath the laughs, it does retain some of the more horrific and somber elements of the genre it parodies. This is the first, and in my opinion the best, of the Cornetto trilogy from Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. These guys just know how to make an entertaining movie and there is no better example than this. I love it!

Satan's Little Helper (2004)

MV5BNWNhNzcxOGUtNjkyNy00ZTUzLTg3YmQtNmQwNzMyMzZkZWIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR106,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

It had been a bit since I seen this one and it's as weird and obscure as ever. It's very much so a black comedy and Halloween centric which I really like about it but it has some super weird "incest-ish" moments and the acting is pretty brutal at times but overall it's an ok watch. It was cool seeing "Honey Bunny" from Pulp Fiction as the Mom even though I didn't like her character much at all in this movie. It also surprised me with some of the things they did as nobody/nothing is off limits. Go in with low expectations and be cool with some bad acting and I think it's still fun enough since there's not enough all out Halloween themed good Horror movies imo.

πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

damn....i forgot I started watching Rob Zombie's 31 the other day, then had to stop for something and never went back to it.

Guess it was forgettable. I may get back to it before I go to bed.

I work the next 4 nights, so this is probably my last few hours to add movies here. I am off for 8 days after these 4.

Yeah, I don't dislike it but it's probably my least favorite movie of Rob's. I just bought the Target Steelbook and 100% forgot I had owned it for a few years already so it can def. be forgettable haha.. I remember wishing it had more Doom-Head in it as Richard Brake absolutely killed his role for the bit he's in it. I need to go back and re-watch it as well though since it's been awhile!

32 and 33. Escape Room πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€ and Escape Room: Tournament of ChampionsπŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ¦΄

Decided to rewatch these tonight. Both of them suffer from mixing some good actors with some bad actors. But I like thinking about how I'd escape and which room I'd probably die in. Kinda fun for a boring ass Halloween in which we got no trick-or-treaters at all and I needed to distract myself from the Reeses Cups.
220px-Escape_Room_(2019_poster).png
Escape_Room_Tournament_of_Champions_Movie_Poster.jpg

Last edited:
Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin (2021)
pa-nok-official-key-art-1633535406402.jpeg

I know a lot of people hate Found Footage and there's plenty of bad ones but personally I have always really liked the sub genre (Especially most of this Franchise) as it's one of the few kinds of movies with the potential to still creep me out a bit. This one didn't creep me out much since it went a bit in a different direction with the whole Cult thing but it was still interesting enough to keep me watching.

πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€1/2

Back