3rd Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2021)

13. Trick R Treat πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
The movie was pretty fun. It didn't take itself too seriously and gets pretty camp in some places. It's anthology style and I thought it did pretty good at weaving the different stories together. The only thing I wish got more of an explanation is Pumpkin sack killer. I get that it's trying to keep halloween tradition alive. It also likes to watch people get murdered which is not necessarily halloween-ish... unless we're the pumpkin sack - because we watch halloween movies of ppl getting murdered to keep the tradition alive. ok i'm going with that lol

#37. Scream 2 (1997) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

#38. Scream 3 (2000) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I thought Scream 2 was a decent sequel, but the script and release seemed a bit rushed, coming out in less than a year after the original.

Scream 3 had it's moments, but the cameos were just weird and off-putting. They really could have gone down the rabbit hole with how women are treated in Hollywood a bit more...but being a Weinstein movie, I'm sure they would have objected the writers from making an actual documentary.

20211022_065057 (2).jpg

Last edited:
17. The Brain That Wouldn’t Die (1962) πŸ’€

Interestingly enough, I’d never seen this all the way through before. And as much as I can appreciate its cult status and the reasons why, man, I wish I hadn’t bothered πŸ˜‚

Takes itself too seriously sometimes, acting not very good, plot takes too long to move from A to B and B to C and so on… it just takes too long, okay

I had to force myself to finish it

682E722E-0F13-40C4-B09B-68622B84CA0D.jpeg

17. The Brain That Wouldn’t Die (1962) πŸ’€

Interestingly enough, I’d never seen this all the way through before. And as much as I can appreciate its cult status and the reasons why, man, I wish I hadn’t bothered πŸ˜‚

Takes itself too seriously sometimes, acting not very good, plot takes too long to move from A to B and B to C and so on… it just takes too long, okay

I had to force myself to finish it

View attachment 115645

Watch the MST3K version....much easier to watch the whole thing. It's a classic episode, as it is Mike Nelson's first episode he did....after Joel left the Satellite Of Love in a box of hamdigers after the episode of Mitchell.

#39. Ready Or Not (2019) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I'll watch anything with Samara Weaving, but I really watched this one again since this directing duo are making the new Scream 5....or Scream 2022....or 5cream....or whatever the name of it is really going to be.

This movie may not be the best of theirs to compare, as I don't like a lot of comedy in what should be straight horror.

As for the movie...it was OK. I first watched it soon after watching The Babysitter for the first time, and thought the 2 were WAY too similar in plot. With Weaving changing from the antagonist role in The Babysttter to the protagonist role in this one.

20211025_010411 (2).jpg

MOVIE #51
Hatchet (2006)
R (60).jpeg
This is essentially a love letter to the slasher films of the 80s, with all of the typical cliches of those movies turned up to eleven, including gratuitous gore and nudity. The movie is very self-aware and doesn't really take itself seriously at any point, though it does manage to create a genuinely memorable slasher villain with Victor Crowley. The special effects are also very entertaining; the kills in this movie are gloriously over-the-top and blood is being splattered and sprayed all over the place for really no other reason than it looking cool. It's violent and not at all subtle or tasteful, but that's the appeal.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

MOVIE #52
The Creeping Flesh (1973)
c5429e4f834e05a5dea5eaab65f0b683.jpg
I absolutely loved this movie. It stars Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, so that right there are two good reasons to watch it; however, it isn't just good because of their presence. This film has a very creative premise and the story it tells, as well as the way it tells it, make for a very interesting watch. I didn't really know what to expect from it going in and it took the story in directions that I didn't expect, but felt natural. I think some of the writing is a bit on-the-nose, but this is saved by some top-notch acting and a great use of atmosphere. The scenes with Peter Cushing's character in the lab as he experiments with his discovery stand out as being particularly atmospheric, helped by some good special effects for the low budget I'm assuming this was made on. I will admit that I can see this movie not hitting others the same way it did me, but I do think it's something of a hidden gem. Given the two leads and the involvement of director Freddie Francis, it's easy to see this as a Hammer film in spirit, but I think it has a strong identity of it's own and if you want a unique film that featuring two of the greatest horror icons of all time, this is a good one to give a shot.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

MOVIE #53
Horror Express (1972)
80d3341d0a9573d792b6a6d94280878c.jpg
Another Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee movie, and a pretty bizarre one at that. As the title suggests, the majority of the movie takes place on a train as a creature brought aboard as cargo begins going on a rampage. However, the movie is way more strange and entertaining than that premise would suggest. A big part of this is due to the creature itself; it is such a uniquely odd monster that only gets weirder as the film goes on and more is revealed about it. I won't give anything away, but it's definitely unlike any other monster I've seen in a movie.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Watch the MST3K version....much easier to watch the whole thing. It's a classic episode, as it is Mike Nelson's first episode he did....after Joel left the Satellite Of Love in a box of hamdigers after the episode of Mitchell.

Ooo thanks. I’ll do this

30 Days Of Night. πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I might not post much here but I did just watch this one for the first time in a few years. For some reason, I remembered it being a bad film but I actually really enjoyed it. The setting is perfect for this kind of film IMO. I read the graphic novel several years ago and it's also very good.

MV5BZmE2ODFlZjctOWZlZi00MGVkLTk5NDctYWZmMWQyOTczNjYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

14. Train To Busan πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
I loved it! It had everything: comedy, drama, horror, action. The movie starts off kinda funny, rolls into an edge of your seat thriller and ends up doing a complete 360 making this the saddest zombie movie I've ever seen. Overall it was really fun to watch. Highly recommended if you've not seen it.

Side notes: The pregnant lady's husband is a real one all the way through. I liked the dad's growth- it's so great watching him grow into his character arc. I recognize him from Squid games, the dude who slaps people at train stations. Now he's slapping zombies on trains

#40. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

A movie known as one of the greatest, this is all tone and creepiness. There is very little in actual gore. It is rather tame by today's horror standards.

In one of the 4 commentaries on this blu ray, Tobe Hooper said he was originally going for a PG rating, but got an X on the first cut. Small cuts were made to make an R rating, but he really didn't film much gore to be trimmed.

20211027_223643 (2).jpg

Appreciate the heads up! Surprisingly, it's not much of an upgrade over the 7" as far as content but always good to see the movie get some extra love.

Just got my copy in the mail. I also ordered the movie from Vinegar Syndrome, but also ordered a pre-order, so I probably won't be getting it in time to play this month. (I did get a download of it to watch, tho)

20211028_064117 (2).jpg

The tracks are all on side A - and there is a silk-screened side B

20211028_064126 (2).jpg

Back