3rd Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2021)

Frailty (2001)

frailty-poster-750x361.jpg

This was the 2nd (After Next Of Kin) of 3 movies I watched last night. I forgot way more about this then I thought and Bill Paxton is fantastic as usual with a solid performance by everyone else as well. The movie did such a good job setting everything up and having a great ending for the most part. I still didn't love it but it's a rock solid movie.

๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€

15. Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin
๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

I haven't watched Paranormal Activity since 3 or 4 but I did enjoy them when they first came out but thought the formula was getting a bit stale. I decided to watch this one because it wasn't really just security cameras in a house capturing ghosts + it has Amish which I dont see alot in horror so why not. I was hoping that they'd move off of that camera style at least partially - but unfortunately it was all found footage camera style. I got fooled by the trailer because it included some random overhead shots. The story was ok and the reveal was not great. Definitely my least favorite of the ones I've seen so far.

The Wolf Man (1941)

81edN1iql2L._RI_.jpg

First time watching the new 4k version of this and it looked pretty great. The Wolf Man costume and foggy nights are richer then ever but honestly, as much as I absolutely love the Wolf Man character overall I just have never been able to enjoy this movie as much as the majority of the other Universal Monster introduction movies. I consider most of the others to be classics but this one just doesn't get there for me. Saying that, it's still a really good movie and holds up extremely well to this day. I can't wait to watch the Creature From The Black Lagoon in 4k for the first time as that's my personal favorite and i'm hoping they're all done as well as this one was.

๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€

30. Cat People (1942) ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

A B movie with some uneven acting but still one of my favorites. The sense of dread, the torment of the lead character, itโ€™s more psychological suspense than monster flick. But I think thatโ€™s what makes the movie stand out. The inexperience of the lead actress also garners the character more sympathy for her situation.

Cat People is widely considered the originator of the modern jump scare. After this movie they at first called the technique the Lewton Bus, named after the producer Lewton and a particular scene involving frightening tension and a city bus. A classic.

3ABBA8CB-2F4C-472B-A950-32D5FBCB4473.jpeg

31. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

Dream Warriors is one of my favorites of the series, not least of which because it brings back the first filmโ€™s final girl Nancy, and has more interesting characters trying to fight back against Freddy. Itโ€™s pure slasher fun. And you go into this one looking forward to the imaginative ways Freddy takes out his victims.

50FC9DCC-D398-44A8-9E73-0CC193B6B562.jpeg

Managed to fit this and Cat People in yesterday. Yay me.

Here's all the movies that I ordered well in advance of this past month...

All arrived this week after Halloween. So this is a preview of what I will be watching on the 4th Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween

View attachment 116414

That's a pretty great haul right there, nothing but great to classic from top to bottom.. WNUF was my final Halloween movie this year before I gave in to November.

How do you like the Halloween boxes just from a packaging standpoint? I'm still teetering on the fence of grabbing some or all of them especially 3 but it's been hard to justify with the standard versions dropping so low in price.

Scream is the one i'm most excited about though since it's never really had a great transfer before so it should be a pretty nice upgrade!

That's a pretty great haul right there, nothing but great to classic from top to bottom.. WNUF was my final Halloween movie this year before I gave in to November.

How do you like the Halloween boxes just from a packaging standpoint? I'm still teetering on the fence of grabbing some or all of them especially 3 but it's been hard to justify with the standard versions dropping so low in price.

Scream is the one i'm most excited about though since it's never really had a great transfer before so it should be a pretty nice upgrade!

The boxes from Sacred Bones/Shout Factory are pretty nice. And I had already bought the other 3 they released (Big Trouble, Prince Of Darkness, and They Live) so I figured I'd just get these, too.

I really didn't need all the Halloween movies again, but being 4K I had to.

Yeah, I kinda regret not grabbing the earlier ones especially They Live so I think i'll at least grab the 3 box. That's a nice little uniform set going I bet with 6 now.

Same, I have been buying them all since VHS and keep thinking every format will be my last but I have a feeling the 4k releases wont be my final copies either but i'll keep buying as long as physical media is still alive.

The thread was fun this year even though I didn't get to as many of the classics as I normally do but looking forward to doing it again next Halloween!

I've stretched my horror movie run into November and have just finished all seven Nightmare on Elm Street movies in my run up to Freddy vs. Jason. Wes Craven's New Nightmare was even better than I remembered. I also rewatched Seed of Chucky, which is a fuckin' weird movie even for that series, lol.

Back