3rd Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2021)

tumblr_pvsfx6a1J61xgit8po1_500.gif

The+Blob+(1988,+USA,+Poster).jpg

This is another one i've been meaning to re-watch for over a decade it seems like so finally got around to it and it didn't disappoint! It amazes me how well so many movies of the 80's (and older) age so well when quality practical effects were used. The phone booth scene is beautifully made and I also love how nobody is safe in this movie and they say eff "the genre rules" on what kind of characters normally always make it and to top it off some of the kills are pretty damn brutal. This would be a really fun double feature with The Thing I think.

It was also kind of hilarious watching a young Kevin Dillon (Johnny Drama) as the lead which makes the role that much better if you watched Entourage.

💀 💀 💀 💀

I've been wanting to watch this again ever since I picked up the score a few years ago.

The Midnight Hour (1985)

raf,750x1000,075,t,oatmeal_heather.jpg

This movie has a bunch of interesting things about it that keep it afloat just enough to remain a fun movie throughout. First off, between the fantastic score (Brad Fiedel who did scores such as The Terminator and especially Fright Night the same year as this and you could tell a bunch of the tracks for either movie could be interchangeable) then the rest of the Soundtrack is packed with great classic Halloween songs

Here's a playlist which is still missing several.

Then for the cherry on top you got Wolfman Jack! as the background DJ introducing a bunch of the songs. It could very well be the best Horror/Halloween Soundtrack that doesn't have a physical release.

This is also the film debut of Mr. Macaulay Culkin sporting a Halloween 3 looking skeleton mask credited as the "Halloween Kid". Then you got LeVar (mf Reading Rainbow) Burton, The Dad from that 70's show, Harry Belafonte's daughter, Michelle Pfeiffer's sister etc. The majority of the makeup and practical effects are actually very well done and the overall acting for the most part is solid especially for a TV Movie.

Before this viewing I only seen it in poor quality but someone had done a very good job on an upscaled version and it really boosted it up for me this time around since I was able to really notice so much more. It just absolutely engulfs the 80's in everything it does. It even has a super random Halloween dance scene by Belafonte's daughter which added to the fun of it all.

As a note, this is pretty family friendly as it was a made for tv movie on ABC so there's nothing too crazy that happens but it just hits those right Halloween nostalgic heart strings ala Hocus Pocus. I think it had all the tools to become a classic and even though it def. never reached that potential it's still an extremely fun time worth taking for anyone that is even mildly interested in it.

💀💀💀 but another one I can see rising in score now that I can start watching it in solid quality. This is gonna be a new yearly around Halloween watch for me going forward.

I think my family watched this when it aired on TV.

I think my family watched this when it aired on TV.

When I was looking up some of the information I noticed a good amount of people also saying that so it must have been a well watched special at the time. It's too bad they don't make specials like this anymore, if it's something for the "family" it's usually so heavily washed down and pc it's not worth watching for anyone older.

Or maybe it's just me getting older 😬

Not a movie but some kind soul on Reddit posted a link to original Halloween 6 script - Halloween 666 The Origin of Michael Myers. I am planning to sit down and read it one night nearer to Halloween. I read some comments and apparently it's pretty bad but still I think it'll be pretty cool to read.

While I'm here I may as well ask, does anyone know where I can find the hybrid cut of Halloween 6? Apparently someone took the best of the theatrical and producer's cuts and mashed them together.

MOVIE #14
Jacob's Ladder (1990)
a4315b3f27f27e8d5662fce25e80bde0.jpg
Jacob's Ladder is a good movie to watch when you want to be more disturbed than truly scared. Don't get me wrong, it certainly contains some horrific sequences. But really, the film's incredible use of atmosphere and paranoid tone is what makes it so effective. While it contains a decent dose of surreal psychological horror, it also taps into a more realistic and depressingly human side of fear. Tim Robbins plays Jacob Singer, a man haunted by his past and seemingly always teetering on the edge between life and death. Robbins plays this role perfectly, and the film wouldn't work as well if he wasn't so convincing as a man desperate to make sense of his situation. The film doesn't give in to any cliches of its time and provides the audience with a unique viewing experience. Overall, very well-done.

Final rating: 💀💀💀💀

Thanks! I am on work laptop atm but will check it out tonight!

It's a mega download, so it may take a bit to download it.

I did last night and the it looks fine...I haven't watched it yet. I also haven't seen H6 that many times, so I'm not sure which version I like the best.

I did last night and the it looks fine...I haven't watched it yet. I also haven't seen H6 that many times, so I'm not sure which version I like the best.
Yeah downloaded no problems, watched it last night. Pretty good mix of the two. Definitely prefer the ending of the theatrical cut.

MOVIE #15
Monster House (2006)
R (26).jpeg
This movie deserves to be recognized as one of the great horror-comedies. It's incredibly funny but also has a very creative and interesting story. The film also nails the fall atmosphere and is visually striking, though some of the animation can look a bit uncanny (this was when Robert Zemeckis was trying to make motion capture animated movies a thing). The characters are all pretty fun and, in a way, this is also a pretty decent coming-of-age story. If you've never given this movie a chance, I highly recommend doing so this season; it's a great Halloween movie but also just a thrilling ride in general. I love it.

Final rating: 💀💀💀💀💀

Halloween-Movie-List-Where-to-Watch-free.png

For anyone else looking for a handy list of these things (I'm still looking for a place to stream "The invisible man"...although TBH I haven't really put a lot of time into finding it...)

Halloween-Movie-List-Where-to-Watch-free.png

For anyone else looking for a handy list of these things (I'm still looking for a place to stream "The invisible man"...although TBH I haven't really put a lot of time into finding it...)
I'm just keeping track of this thread in the hopes of spurring me on to actually celebrating spooky season this year, but I would have it pointed out that if you're talking about the original House on Haunted Hill, it's in the public domain and can be found on YouTube.

Had a bad little stretch of trying new ones so will probably go with a classic next to wash these away...

1.jpg

Awful movie haha.. I looked into this when it first came out a couple weeks ago and the few reviews made it sound interesting but i'm pretty sure were just from the cast or something because most reviews since have been awful which it deserves.. Cool concept but horrible execution pretty much across the board. No skeletons for this one!

MV5BMWU0NjMxZGMtMjg5OC00Y2RiLThiMmEtYzYzMmFiNTgyMjM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

This one was actually filmed and acted well so it kept me intrigued and I was enjoying the first half as a nice slow burner but the second half just absolutely fell apart more and more as it went along. This also tried to be "smart" with a super vague and open ending which does work for some movies but not this one, just a complete waste of time imo.

If you haven't seen Annihilation from 2018 even though it's a bit different is a great movie and I wish I just watched that again over this.

Deadhouse-Dark.jpg

This is a 6 part mini episode series on Shudder and it's def. not as bad as the above 2 films for sure but none of the 6 episodes stood out at all and aren't something i'd recommend. They range from awful to slightly mediocre but are only like 10-15 minutes each.

On the subject of Halloween fan edit's, have you or anyone else here seen Halloween H2O's fan edit? I was thinking about finally watching that this year and there seems to be quite a bit of changes.

I'm just keeping track of this thread in the hopes of spurring me on to actually celebrating spooky season this year, but I would have it pointed out that if you're talking about the original House on Haunted Hill, it's in the public domain and can be found on YouTube.
I believe the one in the list is the remake

On the subject of Halloween fan edit's, have you or anyone else here seen Halloween H2O's fan edit? I was thinking about finally watching that this year and there seems to be quite a bit of changes.

No. I can't say I'm too big on fan edits. Most of H20 I'm fine with.

My sleep schedule, work, and the Cardinals current 12 game winning streak has taken up my horror movie watching time, but I'll try to get some in tomorrow around the doubleheader games.

No. I can't say I'm too big on fan edits. Most of H20 I'm fine with.

Yeah, i'm with you on that.. They usually sound interesting but I never end up actually watching them outside of the original Scream fanedit which is just basically the Unrated version anyways.. I heard a lot about the H20 one over the years since the guy has been making small tweaks since 2011 so if I give it a try i'll throw what I thought in here.

Back