3rd Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2021)

I also just watched Cooties a couple hours ago for the first time in years so I wont make a duplicate post for it and agree with you on that one as well. It grew on me a bit more then my first watch but still had the potential to be so much better if they would have just embraced going over the top instead of almost going in and out of it. It also kind of feels like the middle of the movie is mostly filler to give it a full run time. Loved the cast though for the most part and it's still decent enough I just feel like there's a classic Horror/Comedy there somewhere that never reaches it's potential.

yep...it just skirts the line of either being really funny or going more horror and is too middle of the road.

And feel free to post anything...this thread isn't a challenge thread, we can all watch the same thing. I actually encourage people watching the same thing, as there's a lot out there that others probably wouldn't give the time to watch without a recomendation.

I mentioned it in last year's thread a week or two ago but

I am very looking forward to seeing this streaming when it hits VOD.

The original is also good

Which mostly I dislike remakes but listening to the Gamefully Unemployed podcast about the new one, -- the new one is sort of a reboot/sequel, written by Jordan Peele, and in the tradition of the original, is about more than just a scary story (ie, the original had really strong subtext about racial issues, white saviourism, gentrification, etc)

I’m not sure if you’re up for it, but rewatch the whole film at some point with the knowledge you now have. I swear it flows better and is actually a pretty damn well made and fun film given the subject material.

”Also, that reveal isn’t as left field as some people make it out to be. Rewatching the film a second time really highlighted this for me. There are so many nods and hints towards it throughout. I mean, how many times do people, including Madison/Emily, say “It’s all in my/your head?” among other phrases? A little tongue and cheek, but it makes repeated viewings worthwhile, in my worthless opinion. "

I honestly would have given it a 💀💀💀 or maybe a 💀💀💀.5 on my first viewing. I was just confused most of the time, until that third act.

I am def. up for it and will eventually for sure!

You have me much more interested after reading your review and especially the spoiler notes. There's no doubt I was kind of losing focus and missed the subtle clues on the first viewing. I went in pretty blind and was expecting a somewhat serious tone as i've seen of Wan's other recent Horror films. When expecting something more along the lines of The Conjuring or Insidious it comes off as corny for the first half which is why I was getting some Fast & The Furious vibes of dialogue cheesiness but that ended up being my own fault due to me judging Wan too fast as things obviously went a completely different route and I loved the direction he took it. To find out he was in on the flip the entire time changes everything.

I am def. up for it and will eventually for sure!

You have me much more interested after reading your review and especially the spoiler notes. There's no doubt I was kind of losing focus and missed the subtle clues on the first viewing. I went in pretty blind and was expecting a somewhat serious tone as i've seen of Wan's other recent Horror films. When expecting something more along the lines of The Conjuring or Insidious it comes off as corny for the first half which is why I was getting some Fast & The Furious vibes of dialogue cheesiness but that ended up being my own fault due to me judging Wan too fast as things obviously went a completely different route and I loved the direction he took it. To find out he was in on the flip the entire time changes everything.
”I definitely had a VERY similar first viewing. I didn’t read much about the movie and I saw the trailer once or twice, so I did go in about as completely blind as you can in these technologically advanced times. The first viewing I went in desiring to be scared, and the second one I went in desiring to have a grand ol’ fun time. I’m almost positive Wan was trying to go for a campy Evil Dead type vibe for this flick, at least some of the scenes seem to indicate that. I think the cheese is definitely intentional, along with that ridiculous music that would pop up from time to time. Like when Emily/Madison tells her sister she’s adopted.

And then again, a second viewing doesn’t mean you’ll find it a masterpiece the second time around, as there are still a few scenes I have questions about. Like the scene where her sister drives up to the abandoned hospital and it’s light out with what seems to be about another 20-40 miles or so tops. When she arrives it seems like it’s a quarter of a day later, at the very least, and a midnight pitch black. 🤣😂 But I think expectations can ruin an experience, and the right head space can remedy that.

Movie 3: The Babysitter (2017)
5F7mJHO.jpg

Cole wants to see what sort of adult activities his babysitter and her friends get into after he falls asleep on her watch. Turns out it’s darker, more satanic and more cult like than he ever expected. Most of the movie follows the aftermath of this discovery.

Overall, pretty meh. Doesn’t really do anything new or creative, although it was alright to watch. Would I recommend it? Probably not. Especially with so many other better horror flicks to waste your time with. Plus I think they could have done more with the plot.
"I wish it would have delved even further into the satanic cult."

💀💀.5

Movie 3: The Babysitter (2017)
5F7mJHO.jpg

Cole wants to see what sort of adult activities his babysitter and her friends get into after he falls asleep on her watch. Turns out it’s darker, more satanic and more cult like than he ever expected. Most of the movie follows the aftermath of this discovery.

Overall, pretty meh. Doesn’t really do anything new or creative, although it was alright to watch. Would I recommend it? Probably not. Especially with so many other better horror flicks to waste your time with. Plus I think they could have done more with the plot.
"I wish it would have delved even further into the satanic cult."

💀💀.5

I think we liked this about the same. This and the sequel make for a decent double feature, though.

#8. Dawn Of The Dead (1978) 💀💀💀💀💀

- Theatrical Cut

This 4K box set has the 3 different cuts, so I'll probably be watching all versions eventually.

One great thing about 4K is that they aren't region locked. This movie has some rights issues in the US currently.

20210915_123332 (2).jpg

MOVIE #10
Slice (2018)
R (22).jpeg
This movie has some cool ideas but just doesn't have the budget to execute them very well. I give points for originality but this movie was overall just mediocre. The movie tries to be purposefully ridiculous at certain points to make up for its clearly limited budget but it never leans far enough into it for it to work 100%. When I first heard of this movie, it was sold as a movie where Chance the Rapper is a werewolf, but that's very misleading. If you watch it solely for that, you'll be disappointed. But even outside of that, there's just a lack of anything great here. With a bigger budget and a tighter script, I think this could have been pretty good, but instead it's mostly just meh.

Final rating: 💀💀

MOVIE #11
Minotaur (2006)
Minotaur.jpg
I'll admit I mostly watched this for young Tom Hardy, but it actually isn't that bad of a movie. The acting for the most part is pretty good, especially Tony Todd, who is having a lot of fun as the villain. The story is loosely based on mythology and it gets the job done. It is competently made technically for the most part, with the exception of the editing in some of the more intense or action-packed sequences, which gets way too choppy. The only other major complaint is the monster is less of a minotaur and more of a giant bull. It's rendered with pretty obvious CGI in some shots, but the close ups of it done with practical effects are actually pretty cool looking. It is far from the most memorable or creative creature, but it's fine. And that's kind of how I feel about the movie as a whole; it isn't groundbreaking but it's enjoyable for what it is.

Final rating: 💀💀💀

I will toss in The Devil's Backbone, early Guillermo del Toro film. One of my favs. Not exactly horror so much as spooky...
It is so so good. It gets overshadowed by Pan's Labyrinth, which it has a lot in common with thematically, but at least for me, the two are fairly evenly matched. I love them both for different reasons. PL is a great dark fairy tale but the sheer atmosphere of TDB is superb. Guillermo is a master at what he does. I'm interested in this upcoming Nightmare Alley movie (and his version of Pinocchio if it ever actually comes out).

It is so so good. It gets overshadowed by Pan's Labyrinth, which it has a lot in common with thematically, but at least for me, the two are fairly evenly matched. I love them both for different reasons. PL is a great dark fairy tale but the sheer atmosphere of TDB is superb. Guillermo is a master at what he does. I'm interested in this upcoming Nightmare Alley movie (and his version of Pinocchio if it ever actually comes out).
It is an ongoing source of pride that my wife acted with Doug Jones (Pan in Pans Labyrinth, Abe in Hellboy, The Shape Of Water...) In the Guillermo Del Toro vampire show The Strain. And she spent 4 hours in a makeup chair with WETA working on her.

Thas my wife...
IMG_89101.jpg

It is an ongoing source of pride that my wife acted with Doug Jones (Pan in Pans Labyrinth, Abe in Hellboy...) In the Guillermo Del Toro vampire show The Strain.
Thas my wife...
View attachment 112269
Whaaaat! That's awesome. I don't think I'll ever get to do anything nearly that cool 😅

I remember watching the first season of that show but I just didn't keep up (as I never do with TV shows). It seemed really good tho. I liked how the vampires were clearly the same ones from Blade II but slightly different. Very del Toro designs.

Movie 4: It (2017)
evO1wbl.jpg

This is, for most, a movie/story that needs no introduction or summary. As kids start disappearing again, a gang of kids from Derry begin investigating as they are pulled further and further into the carnival of mystery.

This movie came at a very weird and turning point in my life nearly four years ago now. Everything seemed bleak and desolate to me, and this phenomenal casted group of kids really lifted my spirits and had me believing in the goodness of people again. So that might affect how I perceive this movie from a reviewers stand point. I believe I saw this at least 3-4 times in theater during September 2017.

I’ve heard someone describe this movie as The Goonies with a demented killer clown and they could not be more spot on. The scenes revolving around the relationship between the kids and their shenanigans within are almost more enjoyable the the scenes with It itself. Now that’s how you know you’ve got a great flick.

Absolutely love that interpretation and I LOVE this movie. And last night’s umpteenth viewing did not change that. I feel weird giving this a perfect rating, but perhaps in another five years or so I’ll feel more confident in doing so. It’d be in my top ten favorite horrors of the past decade, without a doubt.

💀💀💀💀.5
🍬🍭🍫🍭🍬

Boy was part II a let down, even saw it 2-3 times just to make sure.

Last edited:
Boy was part II a let down, even saw it 2-3 times just to make sure.

I loved part 1 - but all the negative reviews of part 2 has made me not want to watch it....so I haven't.

I wouldn't want it to make me dislike part 1 anymore. And I bought the 4K when it came out. I'll probably make a double feature of it for this thread, though.

I loved part 1 - but all the negative reviews of part 2 has made me not want to watch it....so I haven't.

I wouldn't want it to make me dislike part 1 anymore. And I bought the 4K when it came out. I'll probably make a double feature of it for this thread, though.
Part II isn’t terrible, it just isn’t anywhere near as special and well done as part I.
I should give it another go.
It’s only fair.

#9. The Thing (1982) 💀💀💀💀💀

Not a whole lot to say about this classic.

This 4K just arrived in the mail today.

View attachment 112363
I had the pleasure of seeing this in the theater either late last year or earlier this year, when theaters weren’t really pushing out a bunch of newer flicks. Amazing atmospheric movie. It was incredible to experience it in the theater. Glad I had finally had the pleasure. Easy too 10 Horror film for me.

Back