3rd Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2021)

#14. The Lords Of Salem (2012) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I didn't hate it. I actually thought Rob Zombie made a pretty good movie. Why do we need so much of his wife, though? If that character was played by someone that could do a bit more with the role, I would think this movie would be thought of a bit better.

20210930_022829 (2).jpg

#14. The Lords Of Salem (2012) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I didn't hate it. I actually thought Rob Zombie made a pretty good movie. Why do we need so much of his wife, though? If that character was played by someone that could do a bit more with the role, I would think this movie would be thought of a bit better.

View attachment 113602
I have to admit, I actually really like this movie. I think I'm softer on Rob Zombie than a lot of people are because you can tell he has a lot of passion for what he does. That said, his movies aren't perfect, but this is one of his better ones. I'd say it's probably my second favorite of his filmography after The Devil's Rejects (having not seen 31 or 3 From Hell)

I have to admit, I actually really like this movie. I think I'm softer on Rob Zombie than a lot of people are because you can tell he has a lot of passion for what he does. That said, his movies aren't perfect, but this is one of his better ones. I'd say it's probably my second favorite of his filmography after The Devil's Rejects (having not seen 31 or 3 From Hell)

Yeah. I liked it. And I think it's one of his better made movies. A slow burn, Zombie style. I have not seen 31, but the Blu Ray is on the way (I thought I owned it).

3 From Hell is ok for what it was. It really didn't need to be made. And I do like his Halloween's, too.

Last edited:
MOVIE #23
Van Helsing (2004)
71jlEbRGW0S._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I will readily admit that there is no way for me to possibly judge this movie fairly. I loved and watched it over and over as a kid and have tons of nostalgia for it. I even had the toys. So when I say I really like this movie, understand that I am far from an unbiased source. It's an overblown early 2000s summer blockbuster inspired by some of the classic Universal monsters, helmed by the guy that did the 90s Mummy movie. As a result, the movie is more action-adventure with horror elements than a true horror film. But in its own way, it introduced these classic monsters to a whole new generation of fans; something I am living proof of! I'm much older now and can recognize that this movie is very exaggerated and spectacle over substance when it comes to the monsters, but I still love a lot of these designs and sequences. I'm not going to lie and pretend this movie is a masterpiece, but I have a soft spot for it as a great cornerstone of my childhood.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

4. Firestarter πŸ’€πŸ’€
A bit boring to be honest - it borderlines more on sci-fi than horror. Little Drew Barrymore doesn't really strike fear imo. She did well but maybe if they used a scarier looking kid it might have been better? The story had a lot of potential - maybe the execution is the problem? This movie would potentially benefit from a remake and I would be interested - which they're supposedly looking to do.

real trailer:

4. Firestarter πŸ’€πŸ’€
A bit boring to be honest - it borderlines more on sci-fi than horror. Little Drew Barrymore doesn't really strike fear imo. She did well but maybe if they used a scarier looking kid it might have been better? The story had a lot of potential - maybe the execution is the problem? This movie would potentially benefit from a remake and I would be interested - which they're supposedly looking to do.

real trailer:

It's not one of King's better works, but the book is really centered more around the Dad (and then the latter half leads into the Dad and Daughter and then just the kid. The movie gives short shrift to the dad, because barrymore was an adorable moppet and had bigger screen cachet than anyone else in the movie. If the remake focuses on the emotional/psychological aspects of it, that would probably make it better.

I never read the book but I agree there's not enough focus on the parents of Charlie or focus on developing her emotional control issues. I figure they probably thought that would have made the movie too long but they should have reduced other dragged out parts instead.

MOVIE #24
Alien (1979)
f315ad84863c6b699c427555accc95a6.png
I don't feel like I need to tell you guys how good this one is. This is simply just one of the best horror films ever made and despite being released four decades ago, it's held up remarkably well compared to other films of its time, proving that good horror transcends eras. It's story is well told and masterfully paced; the film is slow, but never boring. The movie's view of futuristic space travel is a sight to behold. Rarely has a movie so effectively made you feel like you were right there with the characters in the environment. Choosing the cold vacuum of space as the backdrop for the film makes it that much more atmospheric. And then, of course, the titular alien; how can you deny the Xenomorph is one of the greatest monsters ever put on film? It's design is iconic at this point, and while the movie relents in showing too much of the alien at one time for most of the movie, what you do see is enough to frighten you. We get to see its life cycle in great detail, adding a sense of realism to it. Despite this, the alien is still very much the unknown and the idea of being stuck in an enclosed area with it hunting you is terrifying. It's a masterpiece, what more can I say?

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

MOVIE #25
A Field in England (2013)
a-field-In-england-quad-movie-poster-01-2160x1621.jpg
I'd heard good things about this but knew very little and went into it mostly blind. Overall I was left feeling a bit meh about the whole thing. On paper, it sounds like the kind of movie I should love, but I felt like it just never really amounted to anything. The film delves into some psychedelic territory a few times and has a strangely intriguing atmosphere to it, but it doesn't ever really capitalize on any of it. The film is technically well made, with some impressive cinematography and editing, at least. I think there is certainly an audience for this movie but it unfortunately wasn't really for me.

Final rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€

#16. Malignant (2021) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

My first time watching....and I thought it was ok. I stayed away from major spoilers, but kinda guessed it anyway.

At least I had a "Basket Case" sort of guess, but this works, too.

I may watch it again to see if I like it better.

#16. Malignant (2021) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

My first time watching....and I thought it was ok. I stayed away from major spoilers, but kinda guessed it anyway.

At least I had a "Basket Case" sort of guess, but this works, too.

I may watch it again to see if I like it better.

Yeah, you can see why I was inspired to watch Basket Case afterwards, right? They go different directions with the story but I wouldn't be surprised if the people behind Malignant were inspired by it.

5. Final Destination πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
I liked it for what it was. It was severely 2000's horror - super over the top - but thats what gives it charm. I dont know if it was meant to be funny but I laughed at the teacher's scene with how orchestrated it was. I've seen this before but I forgot because certain scenes I remember seeing. I watched Heroes last year so it was funny seeing Ali Larter in this & Tony Todd from the original Candyman.

Yeah, you can see why I was inspired to watch Basket Case afterwards, right? They go different directions with the story but I wouldn't be surprised if the people behind Malignant were inspired by it.

yeah...I'd even throw in a bit of the X-Files episode Humbug

Humbug (The X-Files) - Wikipedia

Finally had some extra time again lately.. A few days ago I watched the first in the Joe Bob Briggs MonsterVision Friday the 13th Marathon from Halloween night in 1998 and it was pretty awesome seeing a prime Joe Bob trash talk Kevin Ba Con and watch a movie he actually really likes. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of them now off and on throughout the month!

OIP.AAOEJ_XO0jpPTp129GiW8QAAAA

πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Psychos In Love (1987)

PicsArt_10-03-12.15.18.jpg

Damn, I love this movie! It's become one of my favorite 80's B movies and is just pure fun.. It's like if Natural Born Killers was instead a dark rom com, if that sounds good to you I think you'll also really enjoy it. Vinegar Syndrome outdid themselves like usual and made this movie look pretty fantastic for how low budget it is. The budget might be low but the talent is very evident across the board and oozes through the film. It also has the greatest grape rant of all time πŸ‡

πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

As a bonus if you enjoy the movie the 7" that was released is also worth grabbing as it's one of my most played 7"'s.

Last edited:
Last one and i'm caught up!

Censor (2021)

liLv81A0Req1dQL6tTsotI1V8Wh.jpg

I have mixed feelings on this one. It's a very well made film and the acting is solid/great throughout. The first half - 3/4 is awesome and I loved the journey we go on watching the main character free fall into madness but it kind of goes a bit off the rails in the finale with a good amount of unanswered questions which depending on the viewer will vary quite a bit. I'm not the biggest fan of this especially when it's multiple plot points left unanswered which many times just feels lazy to me. In this case I wouldn't go that far but it stopped it from being a great movie for me but it's still absolutely worth watching and solid overall. I can't go much deeper then that without throwing spoilers out there but this is def. one that i'm sure will reward you on future viewings where you'll probably notice a lot more small details. I'd be interested to see what anyone thinks after watching it!

πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Has the potential to add another 1/2 skull after another viewing.​

Psychos In Love (1987)

View attachment 113882

Damn, I love this movie! It's become one of my favorite 80's B movies and is just pure fun.. It's like if Natural Born Killers was instead a dark rom com, if that sounds good to you I think you'll also really enjoy it. Vinegar Syndrome outdid themselves like usual and made this movie look pretty fantastic for how low budget it is. The budget might be low but the talent is very evident across the board and oozes through the film. It also has the greatest grape rant of all time πŸ‡

πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

As a bonus if you enjoy the movie the 7" that was released is also worth grabbing as it's one of my most played 7"'s.

I haven't watched this movie...but I did see that Enjoy The Ride recently put up the soundtrack.

Finally had some extra time again lately.. A few days ago I watched the first in the Joe Bob Briggs MonsterVision Friday the 13th Marathon from Halloween night in 1998 and it was pretty awesome seeing a prime Joe Bob trash talk Kevin Ba Con and watch a movie he actually really likes. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of them now off and on throughout the month!

OIP.AAOEJ_XO0jpPTp129GiW8QAAAA

πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I've been watching a lot of these recently, too.

As a patreon of The Lost Drive-In, they have been digitizing and uploading a lot of these from his TMC days that I remember watching.

Back