Zeppelin Ramble On Thread

I did buy a fairly inexpensive Pecko/Porky reissue this week.
Seems to be a favorable master?

Didn’t have a LZ IV yet and we'll see what shows up in the mail

This goes back to the Willie Dixon writing, which makes some LZ tunes my favorite.
And the fact they used so many artists songs with no credit, at least initially until litigation came along, I find maddening. So greedy, classless and disrespectful...

Another thread that I seemed to have missed, I'll have to give the top 5 a thought.

Yeah, gimme all that hobbit shit!

Ok, I only own I, II, and IV on vinyl. What should be my next purchase?
Honestly, you're solid filling the gaps all the way through Presence. III took a lot of the edge/hardness away from what was on the first 2 albums, still love it, but it steered away from the "norm" for LZ at the time. Presence has a more "bluesy" feel to it, which I like a lot. But again, with 9 studio albums not counting The Song Remains the Same, it's a pretty small run with more good than bad ;)

In Through the Out Door (I still like it) and Coda, flip a coin or just keep walking, lol

And the fact they used so many artists songs with no credit, at least initially until litigation came along, I find maddening. So greedy, classless and disrespectful...

This article says they properly credited Dixon.
I'll have to check out the history of the others.
Not even sure wiki was including this litigation history last time I checked.
"I Can’t Quit You Baby – A classic Willie Dixon blues tune, properly credited to Dixon."

I am not sure LZ wrote anything.
At this point, I am convinced Dread Zeppelin wrote all the music.

Any POV's on the best current pressings of the LZ catalog? I picked up most of mine used and listened to LZ1 yesterday...was not good. Would love to upgrade. Thoughts?

Any POV's on the best current pressings of the LZ catalog? I picked up most of mine used and listened to LZ1 yesterday...was not good. Would love to upgrade. Thoughts?
Honestly, just get the 2014 remasters and be done with it. If possible get the Pallas pressed ones. They have the code R1-536180 on them, usually printed in very small letters under the barcode on the hype sticker, or printed over the Atlantic logo on the front cover on Zep II.

20220804_181139.jpg
But honestly the Optimal ones are great too. They're all cheap and sound good. Get those and don't worry about hunting down elusive pressings with these ones.

Last edited:
Honestly, just get the 2014 remasters and be done with it. If possible get the Pallas pressed ones. They have the code R1-536180 on them, usually printed in very small letters under the barcode on the hype sticker, or printed over the Atlantic logo on the front cover on Zep II.

View attachment 147881
But honestly the Optimal ones are great too. They're all cheap and sound good. Get those and don't worry about hunting down elusive pressings with these ones.
Liar whore liar whore! Who's is this "Mather" who is spinning this web??? Are we sure NightMather isn't up early???

(ok he's right get the Pallas 2014 presses unless you want to spend hundreds. Snobs knock them because they have digital in the chain..oh wait is that bad anymore? Despite whether they are digital or not, they just sound great, especially for $25 ish per album.)

Liar whore liar whore! Who's is this "Mather" who is spinning this web??? Are we sure NightMather isn't up early???

(ok he's right get the Pallas 2014 presses unless you want to spend hundreds. Snobs knock them because they have digital in the chain..oh wait is that bad anymore? Despite whether they are digital or not, they just sound great, especially for $25 ish per album.)
Doesn't want competition on ebay/'cogs when he's hunting down bob mastered copies or whatever

View attachment 147881

cosign, all the recent reissues sound stellar. I personally would skip getting the deluxe vinyl because the demos/outtakes are kind of listen-once-and-forget-about-it-forever (that said, I do have them on CD and digitally, but they're very forgettable.)

cosign, all the recent reissues sound stellar. I personally would skip getting the deluxe vinyl because the demos/outtakes are kind of listen-once-and-forget-about-it-forever (that said, I do have them on CD and digitally, but they're very forgettable.)
Same. I had the "deluxe" of LZ 2 and never played the bonus material.

If you want older copies and the very first pressings year isn't necessary IMO, Ludwig, Piros and Peckham are the mastering engineers you want to collect. The newer Jimmy Page remasters are really nice place to start. But they are missing some music flavor from the 70s cuts.

There are so many releases out there over the years, you just have to dive in and start trying a few out.
The greatest rock band of all-time has a lot of activity. It nuts and less older copies are available every year it seems.

View attachment 147881
Thanks @Mather (and everyone)! I had heard the remasters were pretty solid so glad for the confirmation. They pop at reasonable prices a lot, too, so bonus.

Thanks @Mather (and everyone)! I had heard the remasters were pretty solid so glad for the confirmation. They pop at reasonable prices a lot, too, so bonus.
I think the only one of them that people aren't super thrilled with was Zep IV. But even then I'm sure it's still pretty good, I've got a Japanese pressing for IV that sounds good to me so I'm sticking with that for now.

Last edited:
it would be easier to pick bottom 5
That's a good idea....what are yours?
It might be tough for me to differentiate songs that I am completely tired of (Black Dog, Stairway) vs songs that I maybe never liked as much as the balance of their catalog.

Back