Zeppelin Ramble On Thread

-Both sound clear and clean.
-No muffled bass or anything present.
-The JP press first up has some higher pitched vocals. Nothing terrible but a little off.
- The US pressing has that rock album punch the JP lacks. The drums and bass are just more in your face. You want to get up and dance. Feels like JP copy tops out easily.

TRAMPLED
UNDER
FOOT
(Supposedly inspired from Stevie Wonder- Superstition)

The US pressing left channel is just so much more awake. Clavinet has more presence. I think it's bass guitar that just feeds the left channel throughout this tune. It rocks.

JP is good but these instruments are more in the background... or feel a little buried.

I love this song. Can't believe it didn't make my top 5 cut.

Next.
In The Light

The JP pressing synthesizer opening sounds just great.
Really clear and carries pretty good in the room.
Overall pretty good but the precussions take a back seat again.

US pressing
The vocals just carry. More airy, roomy, real.
Again that punch is there.
Way more head bang feel with this release.

I like both copies but the US copy takes the cake.
It's just got that rock album sound I crave from chasing this album down.

This was fun and just my opinion to consume a few beers and spin some cool stuff.

This song rocks!

Are the older copies of Presence any good or is this a classic records or JP remaster mostly preferred copies?
I have this copy, and it sounds stellar on my system. To be fair I’ve never compared it to anything.

Yeah, gimme all that hobbit shit!

Ok, I only own I, II, and IV on vinyl. What should be my next purchase?
Uncle's suggestions are on point but I'd say houses of the holy and physical graffiti before presence and absolutely III before either. III is the one where they really try to branch out because Page got tired of people saying they were a one trick pony so they did a bunch of stylistic changes -- acoustic, blues, "heavy metal" in that original old school sense, ballads, all of it all over the map.

Coda is great but definitely not top tier LZ. definitely leave that for last.

III is absolutely essential.
I’d go as far as argue that, if you’re at all a Zeppelin fan, then all 8 studio albums are “absolutely essential.”

The harder question is whether Zeppelin in general will continue to be regarded as a top-class act, or whether they’ll eventually recede in popularity like Elvis did years ago (and like Eric Clapton now). I’ve historically ranked Zeppelin extremely high (they were basically a top 3 act for me from ages 15-35), but a parent of 2 kids, I can’t say that Zeppelin has been a priority to share with them. Between the backstage/groupie stories, Robert Plant’s moaning, and ripping off blues masters, I can picture a world where enough people are ready to turn the page (“cancel”) Zep.

The LZ songs are still popular even for commercials, which seems to keep them relevant.
My 13 year old daughter actually picked PG to spin yesterday.
I was a little shocked TBH.
Maybe the rest of my collection is more boring 😴 .

She has zero interest in jazz. Kind of expected.
It was an acquired taste for some time in my experience.

I can picture a world where enough people are ready to turn the page (“cancel”) Zep
I've thought about this too. But as I see arenas still filling up for bands that I don't consider half as good (Def Leppard/Poison/Motley Crue) I like to think that Zep's music alone gives them staying power...even with their less than tasteful/not appropriate rock-god missteps.

I've thought about this too. But as I see arenas still filling up for bands that I don't consider half as good (Def Leppard/Poison/Motley Crue) I like to think that Zep's music alone gives them staying power...even with their less than tasteful/not appropriate rock-god missteps.
Yeah that’s what I tend to think as well. I just don’t consider their greatness to be “untouchable/unassailable” like I once did.

Yeah that’s what I tend to think as well. I just don’t consider their greatness to be “untouchable/unassailable” like I once did.

The new generation loves their, uh, Zeppelin.

I mean, this is a skinny leg Jimmy Page '77 dragon suit for chrissakes...

Back