Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

My week in music

collage (52).jpeg

This week was a bit stressful as our bunny has some severe problems with her stomach/ digestion. It's slowly getting better and I hope this trend will continue the next days. Many visits at the animal doctor. I haven't been able to play a lot of vinyl, but checked out many new releases.

I especially liked the new albums by Jimmy Edgar, Cassandra Jenkins, Altin Gün, Cheval Sombre, Balthazar, TiKa, Melvins and the Muckers. So many great new releases.
Not really convinced about the new Cloud Nothings, Julien Baker and Brijean. Some good songs on them, but seem to be too weak as a whole album.
The Goat Girl and Kiwi Jr. records are two of my favorite releases so far, from this still young new year.

Week 9 recap:

2021Week9.jpg

Breakdown
Been playing that latest Outer Sounds pick (Nuno Canavarro - Plux Quba) at work and, now that it arrived in the mail yesterday, at home too! What an astoundingly unique piece of avant-garde electronics. Would've despised this kind of music even as recent as 3 years ago, so I'm glad to be introduced to it. Danielle Durack, DJ Muggs, TiKA, Cameron Graves, and Pauline Anna Strom have all earned a spot on my top50 for now. This Altın Gün album is a danceable album, but still a grower. Brijean is currently on my chart for now, but thinking about removing it...as I'm in agreement with @Bluecloud777's take on it. Not really enjoying Julien Baker really much at all (though I have an early prediction that Julien's album will be in the N&G top20 by year's end). Some other vinyl spins otherwise.

Last edited:
My week

View attachment 91003

Its Grammys week! Gonna be obsessively listening to the AOTY Noms for a bit more than I'll need a music detox lol
I love your fascination for the Grammys and the great poll you're doing. It's inspiring. I've never watched the Grammys live being located in Germany as they start around 1 am my time zone, but I think I will try to watch them this time. :)

I love your fascination for the Grammys and the great poll you're doing. It's inspiring. I've never watched the Grammys live being located in Germany as they start around 1 am my time zone, but I think I will try to watch them this time. :)

I 100% understand people's criticism of the show (and even agree with many of them) but I really do love it! Theres something so fun about turning my brain off and buying into all Grammy's bs lol. Like only the Grammys would say the Christopher Cross' self titled album is better than "The Wall" and that is just so ridiculous and fun to me

If you do watch it I hope you have fun! The show itself is a little too long but if the performances are good it's not too bad

My week in music

collage (53).jpeg

Breakdown

I'm a bit torn regarding the new double album by Of Montreal. It has some great songs on it like "Now that's what I call freewave", "Japanese word for witch" or "This is exposed" but there are also several I don't like that much. A similiar situation with the Zara Larsson release that has a few great pop tunes but also some fillers.

Of this week's releases I enjoy Tiger Jaw and Painted Shrines the most, also the Judith Hill album, which didn't make the tap cut but was very close.

Otherwise I'm enjoying some great releases of this year from artists like shame, The Notwist, Altin Gün and Goat Girl besides some classics.

Week 10 recap:

2021Week10.jpg

Breakdown
Quite a few releases I've gotten around to last week that I have been pretty high on! In particular, the collab between Payroll Giovanni and Cardo was a pleasant surprise; a hybrid of gangsta rap with a Gfunk influence that isn't overblown to hell...this one's sitting pretty high on my '21 chart. Elephant9 is a pretty rad hybrid of progressive rock + jazz, which didn't seem like a combination that would go over smoothly, and thankfully did. The poptarts of N&G shouldn't sleep on that Roosevelt record; it doesn't reinvent synthpop in any manner, but it is still a delightful listen for fans of the genre. Jimmy Edgar clicked as well; this one is more appealing to the futurepop crowd. Still praying to the altar of Kristin Hayter (Lingua Ignota), as her music has been a sanctuary for me in recent weeks. Can't wait to get to some other releases from this year that slid by as this week is a bit light for notables.

Week 10 recap:

View attachment 91694

Breakdown
Quite a few releases I've gotten around to last week that I have been pretty high on! In particular, the collab between Payroll Giovanni and Cardo was a pleasant surprise; a hybrid of gangsta rap with a Gfunk influence that isn't overblown to hell...this one's sitting pretty high on my '21 chart. Elephant9 is a pretty rad hybrid of progressive rock + jazz, which didn't seem like a combination that would go over smoothly, and thankfully did. The poptarts of N&G shouldn't sleep on that Roosevelt record; it doesn't reinvent synthpop in any manner, but it is still a delightful listen for fans of the genre. Jimmy Edgar clicked as well; this one is more appealing to the futurepop crowd. Still praying to the altar of Kristin Hayter (Lingua Ignota), as her music has been a sanctuary for me in recent weeks. Can't wait to get to some other releases from this year that slid by as this week is a bit light for notables.
Dead Can Dance!!!

My week

View attachment 92038

Grammys are finally done! Dont wanna listen to those 8 albums maybe ever again lol. Def need a detox from music but lana has a new album this week so no breaks for me!
Makes me wonder about the albums. A lot of my number ones recently.. Bridge Over Troubled Water, Abraxas and this coming week's Pearl are because of the Opus podcast. I'm basically actively living with these records and loving it. I've found new respect for each one of them as a result.

Week 10 recap:

View attachment 91694

Breakdown
I'm just listening to the Payroll Giovanni and Cardo collab, that's pretty good. Thanks for recommanding.

My week

collage (54).jpeg

Breakdown

I've been listening to a lot of music this week including the complete great Lana Del Rey discography in anticipation of her upcoming album.

Regarding new releases from this week my favorites are Dead Poet Society, Lake Street Dive and Myles Sanko. Also the recent Robin Schulz and Roosevelt album are quite good.

Apart from that I've rediscovered the above albums by The Japanese House and Tkay Maidza, both great albums. The rest mostly are some vinyl spins.
Not on the list yet, but I've also enjoyed listening to Dead Can Dance yesterday, thanks to @Rip_City and @Lee Newman for highlighting. Never had listened to them before, but they're very good and intense, nearly spiritual.

Week 11 recap:

2021Week11.jpg

Breakdown
Daft Punk forever. A lot of metal from the past month, too. Unfortunately, this came at the cost of the worst album that I have heard this year...A Day To Remember's You're Welcome 🤮 As for some other releases...Jane Weaver's most recent is quite nice if you like Broadcast/Stereolab/The Postal Service and similar groups with an indie-electronic sound. The Sonder Bombs are a fantastic recommendation for fans of early Paramore material; the vocalist has shades of Hayley William's signature vocals. Sarah Mary Chadwick may not have clicked with me right away, but I'm certain that'll change soon. Some other random listens with many other albums not pictured as well.

Back