Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

Week 19 recap

collage - 2022-05-13T060647.570.jpeg

Listened to a lot of music this week. Tori Amos was among my favorite artists in my late teens and early twenties and basically helped me getting through adolescence. I think her album "Boys for Pele" is a masterpiece, it's one of my favorite albums ever. I lately read that Amythyst Kiah was a great fan of her music as well and liked that.
Continuous listening to Patrick Wolf due to having joined his Patreon and him revealing backgrounds to songs and life.
Peter Doherty and Babyshambles albums in connection to his concert last Friday. Today my bf and me are going to Scooter, as he likes them a lot, they're fun, goes into the direction of rave/ techno /EDM, so some listening to that.
Charlie XCX is keeping on growing, decided to buy a ticket for her show in Cologne end of May, first time I'll see her live.
Of new releases I liked Belle and Sebastian, Sharon van Etten, Röyksapp also the Pup album is enjoyable, thanks to @Fleetwood-Matt for mentioning. Arcade Fire is beyond disappointing, I already didn't like their last one very much.

8EB37048-6260-4AB7-8263-FB1F81009353.jpeg

I’m pretty sure this is the first list all year long that is all new stuff.

Flo may be my AOTY. Monophonics is also great. Kendrick is a compelling layered album needing a lot of attention. Black Keys is solid. The Jason Vieaux is brilliant. The Toro y Moi is the most fun album since White Reaper’s World’s Best American Band. Tank is Tank 😃! Kamara Thomas will probably make my top ten for the year. Trey Wellington is a master class in banjo.

Last edited:
Week 20 recap:

2022Week20.jpg

Breakdown
Ethel Cain's Preacher's Daughter is an easy contender for my top10 (and a lock for top50) that emerged out of nowhere. Not present here on this 4x4, but Thom Yorke's project The Smile also released a fantastic debut. Kendrick Lamar's newest is good, but unwieldy...very dense. Newest one from Black Keys is serviceable. Second album of Patricia Wolf's is good, but definitely a different timbre from her one from earlier this year. Some favorites revisited from recent years as well.
Playing through more of the collection; in the early stages of the "H" titles. Had a great time at the Julianna Barwick show this past Sunday.

Week 20 recap

collage - 2022-05-20T064848.240.jpeg

New Florence is really good, I agree with @Lee Newman. Listened again to her recent albums as well. New Kendrick affords more than my 4 listens to be fully captured. I'm still a bit on the fence about "Auntie diaries". While it's great and helpful to bring up that topic, especially to his target audience, i don't know if the frequent use of the f-word in that song is necessary, also the mispronounciation at times. Great album though, but I think I liked his recent ones more. But maybe it'll grow on me.
I also enjoy the Leikeli47 album, it's pretty good. Hatchie is good, but somehow doesn't really catch me that much. Apart from that I've been listening to Britney, Bloc Party in connection to the concert I've been to, Alec Benjamin and various others.

My week

76879437-18E7-4E38-9825-1C6E1EE70C38.jpeg

Breakdown

Finally spent some time with Twigs and it’s fine, Anitta has been a nice surprise that will be stuck in my head for a while. Gotta spend more time with Florence and Kendrick to really nail down my opinions on them. Luther Vandross has been stuck in my head all week and I can’t stop grooving to it!

My week:
AD1A413B-79A6-424F-A54F-A9B58744100B.jpeg

Thanks to @avecigrec for pointing me towards the Mari Samuelson. Monophonics is great. Always love some Yo Yo Ma. Just picked up Home on vinyl. New Orgone is smoking. Adore the new Molly Tittle (waited for vinyl to really give it a listen). Cello is probably my second favorite instrument after the Mandolin. Lee Fields disco (well what is readily available - then the hard stuff happens) is getting close to complete. Aoife is a contender for top ten and you need to listen to those every once in a while.

Last edited:
Week 21 recap:

2022Week21.jpg

Breakdown
Went to the King Hannah concert this past Tuesday which was mostly enjoyable; just marred by poor audience behavior. As for this past week's releases, the new Boldy James and Obongjayar albums were highlights. Leikeli47 brought some enjoyable trap to the year. Also really enjoyed the Shabaka EP. Not at all impressed by the mxmtoon nor Lykke Li albums.
Been trying to get through four records a day during days off; nearing finishing out the "H" titles.

Week 21 recap:

View attachment 140497

Breakdown
Went to the King Hannah concert this past Tuesday which was mostly enjoyable; just marred by poor audience behavior. As for this past week's releases, the new Boldy James and Obongjayar albums were highlights. Leikeli47 brought some enjoyable trap to the year. Also really enjoyed the Shabaka EP. Not at all impressed by the mxmtoon nor Lykke Li albums.
Been trying to get through four records a day during days off; nearing finishing out the "H" titles.
I also really enjoyed the Shabaka. Feel the same on mxmtoon and Lykke Li.

Week 21 recap

collage - 2022-05-27T075706.956.jpeg

Listening to "Stimmung" by Karlheinz Stockhausen was inspired by Patrick Wolf, who mentioned he was influenced by this work as a teen. It's a tonal, vocal composition from the late 60s, I think I haven't heard anything like this before.

Leikeli47 and new Florence are great. Apart from thar rather a week of withdrawal in which I've listened to many of my favorite artists.

Back