Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

Week 6 summary:

collage (3).jpeg

Breakdown
Increased my '23 listening count by a large margin. Eye of I from James Brandon Lewis is my current AotY; stellar avant-garde jazz. Also highly recommend Parannoul's newest shoegaze LP, and the debut from RAYE (🔥). I advise avoiding both Shania and Måneskin tho.
Some of these are from the 1001 Album challenge and I'm behind a day. I was very delighted to hear Beth Orton's Central Reservation for the first time, after previously enjoying Weather Alive from last year which made my top50 of the year.

Waiting till midnight may have an impact tonight. I have a tie at 4&5 also at 6&7. I believe 8 could join the 4&5 tie depending on work. It’s a barnburner!

collage.php

So the 1001 project looms large here, obviously. I'm reading a bio of Tharpe, this album was mentioned in the preface and it is really good. Folk Music is pitchfork sunday. Ade is the other 1000 record list book. Young Fathers is both the stereogum album of the week and also one that I really like a lot especially since it was a nice fit with all the African music elsewhere in the grid. The Soundtrack was because I did dive a little deeper with Songhoy than I normally do these 1001 records. A really good week of listening, really. Got further in my new music playlist than usual too.

Waiting till midnight may have an impact tonight. I have a tie at 4&5 also at 6&7. I believe 8 could join the 4&5 tie depending on work. It’s a barnburner!
Love moved from eight to tied with Leftfield and Young Fathers. Songhoy was tied with Little Richard.

My week

C50BF7C2-8636-495F-A568-03C94D146929.jpeg

Breakdown

The week after the Grammys I’m always burned out of listening to music so I didn’t really listen to much. “This is Why” is the only album I listened to more than once, The rest of their discography was listened to in anticipation. Jessie Ware’s new singles have me very excited so I relistened to her! Fleetwood Mac was to help me with an anxiety attack I had and Into the Woods is still on my mind from seeing it a few weeks ago

My week 6

collage (6).jpeg

Some vinyl spins and some favourites, I've mostly been listening to Björk, Gorillaz and Cavetown this week. Revisited the 2017 J. Bernardt album (singer of Balthazar) and enjoyed it a lot. The new Comet is Coming sounds great on vinyl. Haven't come around to listen to any new releases unfortunately. Hope I'll catch up soon :)

My week! I'm obsessed with the new Paramore album, while the rest of this is split between favorites from the 1001 Album Project and stuff I've been revisiting. It's very strange to me that Laurel Hell is a year old already (and criminally underrated imo).

Also, not to be a downer, but this relisten of Demon Days hit a little harder than usual. As soon as Feel Good Inc. started, I thought about the recent news and it made this song that I've heard a million times feel so different all of the sudden. It's so tragic to lose great artists. At least we can always remember them by the fantastic bodies of work they left behind. RIP to Trugoy, as well as DOOM and Dennis Hopper.
collage (43) (8).jpeg

Week 7 summary:

collage (4).jpeg

Breakdown
Can't keep the RAYE album out of my ears, it's a fantastic debut with plenty of variety to offer and in my top5 this year. Like @gaporter, I am having a great time with the new Paramore's This is Why...it took a few listens/days to get acclimated, but they've proven to be chameleonic since After Laughter, with this album bringing a modern post-punk flavor. I especially love "You First" as it had me feeling like in high school listening to Brand New Eyes all over again.
Kelela's newest is also in my top5 currently, with her foraying into more ambient comedowns throughout much of the record. The new Caroline Polachek is very good, but not quite amazing like others are expressing. Also recommend the Sabrina Claudio and Liv.e records, both are interesting R&B records with varying ease of accessibility. Yo La Tengo's newest was fine, but worked better in the background while keeping busy.
Very quality week.

My week

21CD9D89-E23A-4943-9299-54C477152293.jpeg

Breakdown

I’ve been sick so really haven’t listened to much music. Polachek’s new album is fantastic so I expect that and Paramore to be in the top 9 for a good while. Lana’s new single is her best track in a while and I’m loving the St Vincent vibes of Feist’s new single. Also just can’t wait for U.S. Girls this Friday!

Back