Your Top 3 Classic Rock Albums

Slimwhit33

**This grew to a big enough list to catalog, so here is the link: N&G Classic Rock Thread Albums

My collection is modest by most standards on this site, and I'd like to continue growing my vinyl library.

I gravitate towards classic rock from the late 60's through the 70's.

So if you have a moment, share with me the top 3 Classic Rock albums in your collection that you wouldn't want to be without.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
My collection is modest by most standards on this site, and I'd like to continue growing my vinyl library.

I gravitate towards classic rock from the late 60's through the 70's.

So if you have a moment, share with me the top 3 Classic Rock albums in your collection that you wouldn't want to be without.

Thanks in advance!
I'll give you five! ;) (I suppose there could be some argument about whether these fit the 'classic rock' bill, but these come to mind for me.)

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
The Byrds - Untitled
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride
Derek and the Dominos - Layla

I'll give you five! ;) (I suppose there could be some argument about whether these fit the 'classic rock' bill, but these come to mind for me.)
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
The Byrds - Untitled
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride
Derek and the Dominos - Layla

Thank you! I own none of them on vinyl, so they're on the list! My plan is to report back here once I pick up recommended albums.

I’d second Layla, and if you can get your hands on the Mofi version I’d recommend it.

Three others I’d recommend from my shelf: Blood on the Tracks (again, Mofi if you can swing it), Exile on Main Street (Abbey Road half-speed master pressing), Rust Never Sleeps (record store used bin copy).

These are all great recommendations and I’m super appreciative!!
Three others I’d recommend from my shelf: Blood on the Tracks (again, Mofi if you can swing it), Exile on Main Street (Abbey Road half-speed master pressing), Rust Never Sleeps (record store used bin copy).
Thanks for throwing in preferred pressings! Love Exile on Main St but don’t own it on vinyl.

You drive a hard bargain, sir.

1. The Band - Music From Big Pink (I really love the 50th anniversary remix from a few years ago, but I also have a copy of the original mix.)

2. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

3. Grateful Dead - American Beauty

(4. Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach)
Love the Allman Bros at Fillmore on vinyl, but don’t own Eat a Peach. Spent my summer deep diving into the GD Live shows on digital. But don’t own any of their studio albums.
If I go by last.fm scrobbles:

1. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
2. Decade - Neil Young
3. Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
I have a fantastic 1st print Bookends, and the Mofi Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. But don’t have BOTW for some reason.

I’ve made a couple attempts at Dylan and haven’t gotten there yet. But I feel like a vinyl collection without him is borderline criminal. Lol.

Thank you all for your responses!!

Omg, it’s like choosing your favorite child. I’ll do 5 as well.

The Beatles - Abbey Road
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
The Who - Who’s Next
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Genesis - Foxtrot (if you like prog)

Edited to add: the vinyl reissues from the Hendrix Family are all superb and quite inexpensive.

Last edited:
Sorry gotta have 10 :D

Rubber Soul
Dark Side Of The Moon
LA Women
Electric Ladyland
In Through The Out Door
Jailbreak
Damn The Torpedoes
Moondance
Tres Hombres
Songs In The Key Of Life
Thanks! I only have 4 of these.. DSOTM, Damn the Torpedoes, Moondance and Songs in the Key of Life. I'll hunt some more of them down!

Back