Your Top 3 Classic Rock Albums

Seeing as we’re veering in recommendations to adjuct genres I’m saying:

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Bob Dylan - Desire
David Bowie - Station to Station

I tried not to repeat anything I’d seen above as that’d be kinda pointless.

Also if you’re struggling with Dylan maybe don’t go in early Dylan from s/t to John Wesley Harding. Dylan was very much a vocal stylist rather than a great vocalist and after JWH he kinda changed tack a little from his early style with its Guthrie influences. Nashville Skyline rising, Blood on the Tracks and Desire are three albums where his vocals are a bit less jarring if you’re not a fan.

Seeing as we’re veering in recommendations to adjuct genres I’m saying:

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Bob Dylan - Desire

I tried not to repeat anything I’d seen above as that’d be kinda pointless.

Also if you’re struggling with Dylan maybe don’t go in early Dylan from s/t to John Wesley Harding. Dylan was very much a vocal stylist rather than a great vocalist and after JWH he kinda changed tack a little from his early style with its Guthrie influences. Nashville Skyline rising, Blood on the Tracks and Desire are three albums where his vocals are a bit less jarring if you’re not a fan.
Loving the recommendations and totally good jumping genres of the era!

Three is too hard to pick!

Heart - Little Queen (OG copy, but I wouldn't mind the Friday Music Reissue)
Heart - Dreamboat Annie (OG copy, but I wouldn't mind the Friday Music Reissue)
T. Rex - Electric Warrior (I have the Roctober)
Boston - Boston (Sony Legacy Recent Reissue is fine. I might pick up the Friday Music reissue someday)
Supertramp - Crime of the Century (I have the MOFI)

Three is too hard to pick!

Heart - Little Queen (OG copy, but I wouldn't mind the Friday Music Reissue)
Heart - Dreamboat Annie (OG copy, but I wouldn't mind the Friday Music Reissue)
T. Rex - Electric Warrior (I have the Roctober)
Boston - Boston (Sony Legacy Recent Reissue is fine. I might pick up the Friday Music reissue someday)
Supertramp - Crime of the Century (I have the MOFI)
How is the MoFi Crime of the Century? Thinking about picking one up

Picking three is tough, so was picking five. Here’s ten!

The Who - Live at Leeds
The Beatles - Revolver
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Led Zeppelin - Self-titled
The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
The Doors - Strange Days
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Neil Young - Everybody Knowns this is Nowhere
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Band - Self-titled

Rolling Stones — Exile On Main St.
Derek & The Dominoes — Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs
The Beatles — The Beatles (white album)

Honorable Mention:

Allman Brothers Band — At Fillmore East
David Bowie — The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust....
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Rolling Stones — Sticky Fingers
T.Rex — Electric Warrior
Van Morrison — Moondance

From the top-50 I shared at the end of last year, these are the top 5 "classic rock" records that are not repeats of what others have said above.

David Bowie "Young Americans"
Creedence Clearwater Revival "Cosmo's Factory"
Neil Young "After The Goldrush"
The Beatles "Revolver"
Jimi Hendrix "Electric Ladyland"
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Damn The Torpedoes"

The Cars "The Cars"
Iggy Pop "Lust For Life"

EDIT: swapped out repeats from others that I noticed after the fact

My collection is modest by most standards on this site, and I'd like to continue growing my vinyl library.

I gravitate towards classic rock from the late 60's through the 70's.

So if you have a moment, share with me the top 3 Classic Rock albums in your collection that you wouldn't want to be without.

Thanks in advance!

You should make a master list of every record posted in here... everything mentioned is worthy of being in a collection that includes classic rock. What you prioritize comes down to preference.

Not a classic rock connoisseur by any means, but

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
The Stooges - Fun House
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath or Paranoid (really can't go wrong with any of their first three albums imo)

also, stretching the definition a bit, but

and I'm unsure if Can could be considered as "classic rock" but either way Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi are deserving of your attention

You should make a master list of every record posted in here... everything mentioned is worthy of being in a collection that includes classic rock. What you prioritize comes down to preference.
That's the plan! Building it in excel.. will include fields for preferred pressings, etc.. not sure how to share it but would be happy to.

I'm going to procure as many of these on vinyl as possible over the next however long it takes and people keep providing them. I've done some shopping today and will be reporting back once they start trickling in.

Thanks again all!

That's the plan! Building it in excel.. will include fields for preferred pressings, etc.. not sure how to share it but would be happy to.

I'm going to procure as many of these on vinyl as possible over the next however long it takes and people keep providing them. I've done some shopping today and will be reporting back once they start trickling in.

Thanks again all!
Awesome! You've got some great spinning ahead...

So I built the sheet and entered all the recommendations up to this point. Included artist, album, pressing recommendations, who recommended it and whether I currently own it or have purchased it based on this forum and then a spot for any comments on the album.

Out of the 84 albums already mentioned, I own 19 of them and have now purchased 6 more. I'll report back with my thoughts once I get them!

Keep em coming!

Thanks!

Back