Your Collection - By the numbers 2022

I gotta say, I'm pretty proud of my year :)

Collection size to date: 992 | CD's 91(+3)
Purchased YTD: 59
Free Additions YTD: 48
Purged YTD: 18
Net Gain/Loss YTD: +89
Updated: 12/1/2022

Looks like this is how the year's going to end for me.........

Collection size to date: 1007 | CD's 92(+1)
Purchased YTD: 67
Free Additions YTD: 55
Purged YTD: 18
Net Gain/Loss YTD: +104
Updated: 12/28/2022

I have 3 albums incoming that won't be here until the new year, 1 PIF, 1 purchase and 1 gift. I'm not seeing the "Free Additions" being much of a savior next year, that small collection I was given accounted for a nice chunk, I think next year we'll see the BDay and Holiday free-bee's and not much else, but if my purchases stay in check like they did this year, we're all good. While the collection number IS swelling, I'm happier with the quality and curation of the collection, hoping to keep that in check moving forward.

We'll have to start a new thread for 2023 :)

I will say, it was cute watching you guys try to validate the size of your collection with these don't count or these were free or what have you.... I'll own my 353(+x) additions this year!

I do want to catalog all of my cds this year. I will probably not be purging many of them as I do not have cases and what not any more for the majority of them.

Discogs Collection Size at 31 December (1 Jan in brackets):
7 inch: 133 (131)
10 & 12 inch vinyl: 38 (28)
Albums: 673 (598)
CD: 1,205 (1,201)
Reel to Reel tape (pre-recorded & dubbed): 12 (12)

A strange, somewhat frustrating year. A lot of the albums in there are me logging stuff from my in-laws collection, so there is probably about 60 records purchased in the year. I've bought a lot of great stuff in the year: one of my top albums (the first Truly album) got re-released, I managed to get pretty much all of the Led Zeppelin albums I wanted via Record City, and I've found that there are some great record shops in Melbourne.

Having said that, I'm in a weird place with my vinyl collection. I actually think my A-Z run-through is highlighting this: a lot of my collection is stuff I've only ever played once or twice, and because I properly got into vinyl later on, most of my touchstone albums are on CD. A good chunk of this collection is stuff I either didn't pick through VMP, or I didn't pick as I got it through my parents and in-laws. I've also not really found a new releases store in Melbourne I like yet, and as a result I've listened to the least amount of new (to me) stuff in my life. I'm fighting the urge we all get when we get older to stick with what we know.

My aim for 2023 is to slow down a bit. I'm definitely going to stop buying anything I already have on CD, unless there are extras (or it's someone like Mogwai or Shellac that justifies the purchase). My aim is to focus my vinyl spend on post-punk/new wave etc., and use second hand CD's to fill in the gaps from my MP3 days. The plan is to save up for my big-boy amp, and hopefully that's the last big purchase for the system. I also need to get my music mojo back: more new experiences, more gigs...

Discogs Collection Size at 31 December (1 Jan in brackets):
7 inch: 133 (131)
10 & 12 inch vinyl: 38 (28)
Albums: 673 (598)
CD: 1,205 (1,201)
Reel to Reel tape (pre-recorded & dubbed): 12 (12)

A strange, somewhat frustrating year. A lot of the albums in there are me logging stuff from my in-laws collection, so there is probably about 60 records purchased in the year. I've bought a lot of great stuff in the year: one of my top albums (the first Truly album) got re-released, I managed to get pretty much all of the Led Zeppelin albums I wanted via Record City, and I've found that there are some great record shops in Melbourne.

Having said that, I'm in a weird place with my vinyl collection. I actually think my A-Z run-through is highlighting this: a lot of my collection is stuff I've only ever played once or twice, and because I properly got into vinyl later on, most of my touchstone albums are on CD. A good chunk of this collection is stuff I either didn't pick through VMP, or I didn't pick as I got it through my parents and in-laws. I've also not really found a new releases store in Melbourne I like yet, and as a result I've listened to the least amount of new (to me) stuff in my life. I'm fighting the urge we all get when we get older to stick with what we know.

My aim for 2023 is to slow down a bit. I'm definitely going to stop buying anything I already have on CD, unless there are extras (or it's someone like Mogwai or Shellac that justifies the purchase). My aim is to focus my vinyl spend on post-punk/new wave etc., and use second hand CD's to fill in the gaps from my MP3 days. The plan is to save up for my big-boy amp, and hopefully that's the last big purchase for the system. I also need to get my music mojo back: more new experiences, more gigs...
Even though it can cause the backlog to get stupid from time to time (looks in the direction of the pile of uncleaned new records on his 4x2)... i firmly stick to the listen to every record three times before placing it on the shelf. Sometimes things don't make it to the shelf, which means they don't belong there.

If I don't give things a fair shake before they hit the shelf, they will never get it after.

Even though it can cause the backlog to get stupid from time to time (looks in the direction of the pile of uncleaned new records on his 4x2)... i firmly stick to the listen to every record three times before placing it on the shelf. Sometimes things don't make it to the shelf, which means they don't belong there.

If I don't give things a fair shake before they hit the shelf, they will never get it after.
I'm guilty of a spin once, then throw it in the cubes, especially during this A-Z run. I think I'm so fixated on getting though this, I'm just spinning stuff once or twice so I can get back to plugging through what I have. Never anticipated an A-Z being so depressing!

I also think I need to think about ditching some stuff, but I can't face the sale process. Discogs seems like a faff, and I know I'll not get great prices at a local store. Think I'll consider what I do once I'm fully through the collection spin through.

I'm guilty of a spin once, then throw it in the cubes, especially during this A-Z run. I think I'm so fixated on getting though this, I'm just spinning stuff once or twice so I can get back to plugging through what I have. Never anticipated an A-Z being so depressing!

I also think I need to think about ditching some stuff, but I can't face the sale process. Discogs seems like a faff, and I know I'll not get great prices at a local store. Think I'll consider what I do once I'm fully through the collection spin through.
I've been working on an A-Z since 2020, I'm on Andrew Bird currently (the middle of the bs) - the only thing depressing about it is how long it is taking me, lol. I could see how I might feel differently if I were like "why do I even have this?" with every record. I've found that stuff I thought I would be like that about were awesome to rediscover. I've also felt pretty liberated in letting stuff go when I didn't connect with it. I just trade them in at my local. Not too worried about recouping my cost or getting maximum value... so far, I've felt real good about the trades I've been able to do.

I like this a lot. I think "listen to every record three times before placing it on the shelf." may be my New Year's resolution.

I like this a lot. I think "listen to every record three times before placing it on the shelf." may be my New Year's resolution.
I forget who it was on staff at VMP, maybe Cam, that recommended it back in the day. It's been my modus operandi since then. I used to (before new kid came along) not have a backlog either (even with insane numbers of records coming in - even less than one a day seems impossible to keep up with these days)....

I also have a system, the console my turntable is on has a divided shelf with four compartments - first compartment is not played (but clean). Second is one spin, third is two spins, fourth is club records (currently have some remaining bandbox headed my way, secretly and three tracks from VMP... 🥴). Once it comes out of the third for a spin, it leaves the flipbin for the shelf. Makes it easy to keep track of. (back before new kid, I did this all in the flipbin, too)

Before new kid, I pretty much did this all the time:
Spin a club record, spin something from the third compartment, spin something from the second, spin something from the first, spin an a-z, do a random spin... rinse, repeat.

unless you know I got a hankering to spin all ELO or something....

I've been working on an A-Z since 2020, I'm on Andrew Bird currently (the middle of the bs) - the only thing depressing about it is how long it is taking me, lol. I could see how I might feel differently if I were like "why do I even have this?" with every record. I've found that stuff I thought I would be like that about were awesome to rediscover. I've also felt pretty liberated in letting stuff go when I didn't connect with it. I just trade them in at my local. Not too worried about recouping my cost or getting maximum value... so far, I've felt real good about the trades I've been able to do.
I realized this the other day. It's not really worth it to think about the "maximum value" with a lot of these. If an album is going for $60+ then I'll usually put it on discogs as that feels worth the hassle. Otherwise to the local they go. I just dropped off a box of 60 to the local yesterday and have another box of 40 that will probably go there when I feel like a day of grabbing stuff from the bins.

It's helped me recently to think about how I could either keep these sitting in a box where they aren't getting played and aren't worth anything to me but hypothetical dollars or clear the space and get something that does have value to me.

The purge can feel good.

I realized this the other day. It's not really worth it to think about the "maximum value" with a lot of these. If an album is going for $60+ then I'll usually put it on discogs as that feels worth the hassle. Otherwise to the local they go. I just dropped off a box of 60 to the local yesterday and have another box of 40 that will probably go there when I feel like a day of grabbing stuff from the bins.

It's helped me recently to think about how I could either keep these sitting in a box where they aren't getting played and aren't worth anything to me but hypothetical dollars or clear the space and get something that does have value to me.

The purge can feel good.

It can. I have about 80 and a few hundred CDs sat in my spare room ready to sell to my local. Now I’m just wondering how the hell I’m going to get them all there 😂

I used to try to sell everything myself on cogs but like you now it’s only the higher value prospects that I do that with!

Been over a month - doing well on getting rid of stuff I don't need.
Collection: 648
Added: 77 (+14 this period)
Removed: -65 (-21 this period)
Net: +12 (-7 this period)
Updated 11/7/2022
Collection: 652
Added: 94 (+17 this period)
Removed: -78 (-13 this period)
Net: +16 (+4 this period)
Updated 12/29/2022

Some dirty accounting going on... I sold 8, PIF'd 3 That's actually 11 but i'm -13 if i truly +17'd into my collection (which according to discogs I did). I added 17 into the collection.
Oh well no one is auditing my vinyl habits...

Last edited:
Collection: 652
Added: 94 (+17 this period)
Removed: -78 (-13 this period)
Net: +16 (+4 this period)
Updated 12/29/2022

Some dirty accounting going on... I sold 8, PIF'd 3 That's actually 11 but i'm -13 if i truly +17'd into my collection (which according to discogs I did). I added 17 into the collection.
Oh well no one is auditing my vinyl habits...
B428640F-8FB6-46D6-9F95-3740A2247A84.jpeg
Hi! Our office has been notified that there is a discrepancy in your vinyl inventory. I’ve been dispatched to audit your collection. I’m going to need to see the receipts for all purchases made in the last five years. If you had them in triplicate, that would be very helpful.

Back