World Music thread

I've got this and dig this pressing, which is still available (and I think has always been this price) https://www.juno.co.uk/products/jorge-ben-africa-brazil-remastered/545406-01/
I like bits of his other albums but I've never totally got into Brazilian music, more just nibbled here and there.

and
I am starting with this incredible Japanese band : Minyo Crusaders! Minyo Crusaders rework historic Japanese folk songs (min'yō) with Latin, African, Caribbean and Asian rhythms on their debut album “Echoes of Japan”. I've pre-ordered the record, there were only two copies left when I did, and can't wait to have it in hands.

Bandcamp are better at English than I am so here is an interview they did and you can play their first album :

Enjoy!

I was mentioning yesterday, on another thread, about my intention to build my collection slowly....

THANK YOU GUYS!

... I have now ordered the Japan crazy guys from Bandcamp, visited Juno for Ben Jorge and ordered another 2 records on top of it, and for good measure I visited the good friends at HHV in order to get poorer a bit faster.

and

I was mentioning yesterday, on another thread, about my intention to build my collection slowly....

THANK YOU GUYS!
View attachment 1565

... I have now ordered the Japan crazy guys from Bandcamp, visited Juno for Ben Jorge and ordered another 2 records on top of it, and for good measure I visited the good friends at HHV in order to get poorer a bit faster.

You've done the right thing my friend :)

Coming in September on Nubiphone : https://www.discogs.com/Los-Camaroes-A-Journey-Into-Cameroonian-Music/release/13603816

View attachment 1562

More info will come but we can patiently wait with this Analog Africa release :

@Mather
I just picked up a copy of “Resurrection Los” off Discogs earlier this week for under $18 shipped. It’s another wonderful AA release. Good stuff.

Julieta Venegas' "Unplugged" performance remains one of the best of the series...regardless of language. Just a really well performed and recorded set.

Julieta Venegas' "Unplugged" performance remains one of the best of the series...regardless of language. Just a really well performed and recorded set.

I like thst Unplugged too, but like her Otra Cosa LP even more. Keep trying to find it for a reasonable price on vinyl...

Not sure where this fits in the World-jazz music continuum but I'm listening to the first track and this sounds like more fire from Belgium

I've listened to it properly now and it's an instant purchase. Great stuff...

I sent an email to Balades Sonores in Brussels asking if they'll have the record in store this wee-end, unfortunately they won't. But the owner behind the shop is so friendly that he offered to have the record shipped to the Parisian shop :) EDIT: just to say it was an instant purchase here too!

regarding A Tabua de Esmeralda, @Skalap also recommended it.

I've just noticed that there's a (fictonal?) carachter , Hermes Trismegisto, mentioned in Africa Brasil and also in the Tabua de Esmeralda.
what the story that links the 2 albums?
The song Hesmes Trismegisto Escreveu quotes also A tabua de Esmeralda few times....

(we can move this to the World Music forum if it is out of place here...)

I'm not really sure why Jorge Ben picked him for his songs. Maybe Jorge saw himself as an alchemist, mixing styles, genres and influences.
On Hermes Trimegisto, Jorge actually quotes a couple of lines from the Emerald Tablet.

Check out these pages:
Hermes Trimegistus
Emerald Tablet

I'm not really sure why Jorge Ben picked him for his songs. Maybe Jorge saw himself as an alchemist, mixing styles, genres and influences.
On Hermes Trimegisto, Jorge actually quotes a couple of lines from the Emerald Tablet.

Check out these pages:
Hermes Trimegistus
Emerald Tablet
it makes sense.
Jorge Ben is definitely an alchemist that has achieved to create new music genres through mixing of styles.
it's interesting how he's quoting the text in his song.
I'll definitely need to look for this album!

Those of us lucky enough to be going to We Out Here festival this summer - just found out that Rob has been added to the already amazing line-up. Can’t wait for that

Back