World Music thread

Skalap

Give us World Music!

This is your thread to share music from all over the world! From Japan to Ghana, Portugal or Argentina, there are fantastic records to be discovered and shared. Share a Bandcamp page or a Youtube video, add a link to artists' inverviews or articles, write a few words if you want to but give us World Music!

Last edited:
I am starting with this incredible Japanese band : Minyo Crusaders! Minyo Crusaders rework historic Japanese folk songs (min'yō) with Latin, African, Caribbean and Asian rhythms on their debut album “Echoes of Japan”. I've pre-ordered the record, there were only two copies left when I did, and can't wait to have it in hands.

Bandcamp are better at English than I am so here is an interview they did and you can play their first album :

Enjoy!

I am starting with this incredible Japanese band : Minyo Crusaders! Minyo Crusaders rework historic Japanese folk songs (min'yō) with Latin, African, Caribbean and Asian rhythms on their debut album “Echoes of Japan”. I've pre-ordered the record, there were only two copies left when I did, and can't wait to have it in hands.

Bandcamp are better at English than I am so here is an interview they did and you can play their first album :

Enjoy!
You are a wonderful person @Skalap and this will be a great thread

I purchased the first volume and am looking forward to purchase the second asap. Kyriakos Sfetsas, is an artist with a truly multifaceted body of work. He formed the Greek Fusion Orchestra in 1976, in order to accomplish an ambition dating back to his 1960's Avant Garde period in Paris: to create a piece of work that would expand the boundaries of Greek traditional music. The result is a Progressive-Jazz Fusion masterpiece comprising complex and intriguing compositions, and performed by Athens' best musicians of the day.

TERANGA BEAT proudly presents composer Kyriakos Sfetsas and his Greek Fusion Orchestra, an artist with a truly multifaceted body of work. Sfetsas formed GFO in 1976, in order to accomplish an ambition dating back to his 1960's Avant Garde period in Paris: to create a piece of work that would expand the boundaries of Greek traditional music. The result is a Progressive-Jazz Fusion masterpiece comprising complex and intriguing compositions, and performed by Athens' best musicians of the day.

Sfetsas grew up in the island of Lefkada where he studied classical music from a very young age at the local conservatory. At the same time he was genuinely connected to traditional music and especially to the sound of clarinet, the lead instrument in the region's folk music. From a young age Sfetsas would perform with Gypsy orchestras in local feasts. It was this experience that inspired him to create the GFO after his return from Paris in 1975. Sfetsas founded the orchestra while working at the National Radio, an orchestra comprising mostly members of the Variety Music Orchestra, who had a solid background in both classical and traditional music. In that way he was able to realize his ambition, something he could not do in Paris since it was impossible to find musicians trained in both musical cultures.

The recordings on this album, forming only a small part of his overall body of work with GFO, are previously unreleased. The music was recorded Stereo on Reel Tape and with high standards for the time, with the current mastering process highlighting even more the quality of the recordings. The result is truly impressive and pure audiophile album.

The LP version of the album is a Deluxe Edition and comes with a high gloss laminated gatefold cover, a printed insert and a digital download code. The CD packaging is Digipak with Slipcase, including a booklet with photos and liner notes outlining the story of the band members.

Enjoy!

Sounds good :) Hey! BTW, what happened to Scribe Zealand hip hop rapper? His first album Crusader was really good!

Dunno bro.. Never really listened to him.. He was more a mainstreamer rapper over here and they die out pretty fast.

More likely he joined a rap group or something if he hasnt done any more solo stuff.

Dunno bro.. Never really listened to him.. He was more a mainstreamer rapper over here and they die out pretty fast.

More likely he joined a rap group or something if he hasnt done any more solo stuff.

Seems like he had drugs/alcohol addiction and went to jail a few times :(

I cant stand the aussie accent.. sounds comical to me.. the only aussie rapper I bump is "Figg Kidd (Lee Monro)" he started off more neutral accent but is slowly turning towards the accent cause aussie hiphop is gaining alot of traction.

If you want to listen to aussie hiphop the names people love round here are Bliss N Esso and Hilltop Hood and this crackhead named kerser. (I cant stand em but maybe ull love em)

I did really dig this recent drop by a real young guy in sydney.. he been in the states since.. seems like he blowing up over there

Seems like he had drugs/alcohol addiction and went to jail a few times :(

No idea bro.. I went to a concert once and he was playing but I went and watched hatebreed instead lol cause yeah not a big fan of locals xD

Enjoy!
That is NOT how I expected that to sound ! 😀
Great thread, instantly watched 👍

That is NOT how I expected that to sound ! 😀
Great thread, instantly watched 👍

Same! I went crazy the first time I listened to it. Traditional Japanese songs on Cumbia? Seriously? And it actually works! One of my favorite albums of the year so far.

hey @Skalap , all
I got the Luaka Bop Brazil boxset that was reissued for RSD and litterally fell in love with the first track on side A.
Jorge Ben - Ponta de Lanca Africano

that guitar riff at the start of the song is just hypnotizing!

anyway, my question here....
what's the best Jorge Ben primer?
I've been looking for Africa Brasil, but it's hard to find and very expensive....
any suggestions?

hey @Skalap , all
I got the Luaka Bop Brazil boxset that was reissued for RSD and litterally fell in love with the first track on side A.

I've been looking for Africa Brasil, but it's hard to find and very expensive....
any suggestions?

A Tabua de Esmeralda is my favorite. I have this 2010 Brazilian repress but it got reissued last year on Elemental Music and it's easy to find (don't know how it sounds though) :)

hey @Skalap , all

any suggestions?

I've got this and dig this pressing, which is still available (and I think has always been this price) https://www.juno.co.uk/products/jorge-ben-africa-brazil-remastered/545406-01/
I like bits of his other albums but I've never totally got into Brazilian music, more just nibbled here and there.

Back