World Music thread

Pre-orders up for a new posthumous release from one of my (and Jeff Buckley's!) favourite singers. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Live at Womad 1985. I think it was his first performance in the UK. If you don't know him, check out Shahen Shah or for something slightly more modern Mustt Mustt.
And it looks like they're also reissuing his more radical collaboration with Michael Brook - Night Song - on vinyl as it's listed as coming soon on Juno...

Superfly have a load more African LP's in stock. I just picked up a original William Onyeabor I was missing for a good price.

@Poly-Rythmo you might be interested in some of the stuff they have just listed.

Superfly African LP Haul
Even out walking in the forests outside Oslo I was all over this! Shipping is a killer for me so I need stuff I *really* want and they didn't have it today. But if anybody is thinking of starting a Poly-Rythmo collection, they had a lot of stuff, and all very reasonable. I was more interested in the African Brothers stuff they had. You have to be v quick to get the rare stuff. Enjoy the Onyearbor!

Even out walking in the forests outside Oslo I was all over this! Shipping is a killer for me so I need stuff I *really* want and they didn't have it today. But if anybody is thinking of starting a Poly-Rythmo collection, they had a lot of stuff, and all very reasonable. I was more interested in the African Brothers stuff they had. You have to be v quick to get the rare stuff. Enjoy the Onyearbor!
Wherever you go you cant avoid the record hunt :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your walk buddy!

Wherever you go you cant avoid the record hunt :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your walk buddy!
Such a difference between England and Norway - in Norway you can be on a remote island, up a mountain and have amazing 4G, streaming Spotify etc. In UK forget about it not just in the Lake District (where my family come from) but even in large parts of London. Amazing...

Superfly have a load more African LP's in stock. I just picked up a original William Onyeabor I was missing for a good price.

@Poly-Rythmo you might be interested in some of the stuff they have just listed.

Superfly African LP Haul

I went to Superfly yesterday and they will make a Brazilian sale next week-end. Keep your eyes peeled on their web store if you want something. They also did a special sale in store last week-end (i didn't went, weather was too beautiful to go shopping and I enjoyed the sun instead, it's also good for my wallet). Basically, they took crates and crates and crates of records from their stock and sold the stuff at ridiculous prices. There were still records available yesterday but it was a bit late when I went so I couldn't see what they had in these crates.

From Morocco. I'm a big fan of Gnaoua music, and for me, it's doesn't get any better than Nass El Ghiwane. Songs are often long, with major transitions (see 5:32 of this clip) and thematically inspired by Sufi notions. I really hope I can attend the annual Gnaoua music festival in Essaouria, Morocco one day. It's in a couple weeks. I'll make it one day.

It's more likely a western audience would have heard of Tinariwen, who are excellent, but I always go back to Nass El Ghiwane.

Last edited:
@Poly-Rythmo and @Skalap this may be of interest to you guys:

Tabansi from BBE

BBE founder Peter Adarkwah, long an admirer of Tabansi tunes- from folklore to funk – decided to hunt down (in the nicest possible way) the current deal-maker and mover-and-shaker behind the 100-plus -album Tabansi catalogue, Mr Joe Tabansi.
After negotiating a multi-album deal, BBE combed through the list and decided that the only way to do real justice to the label would be straight. LP- by- LP reissues, with updated sleevenotes, heavyweight remastered vinyl, original sleeve artwork on solid card jackets and contemporary revised liners. In other words, the full works, no shortcuts, no compilations.
The first 50 or so titles are primed and ready, with an initial target of three releases per month. And to make things interesting, BBE will be mixing -not matching– genres. So, for example, one month might see a rare funky-highlife classic, the next a mid-80s boogie killer, the month after, a soukous- flavoured Igbo dance monster, and so on. Here at BBE Music, we try to do Eclectic rather than Generic.

Tabansi from BBE

BBE founder Peter Adarkwah, long an admirer of Tabansi tunes- from folklore to funk – decided to hunt down (in the nicest possible way) the current deal-maker and mover-and-shaker behind the 100-plus -album Tabansi catalogue, Mr Joe Tabansi.
After negotiating a multi-album deal, BBE combed through the list and decided that the only way to do real justice to the label would be straight. LP- by- LP reissues, with updated sleevenotes, heavyweight remastered vinyl, original sleeve artwork on solid card jackets and contemporary revised liners. In other words, the full works, no shortcuts, no compilations.
The first 50 or so titles are primed and ready, with an initial target of three releases per month. And to make things interesting, BBE will be mixing -not matching– genres. So, for example, one month might see a rare funky-highlife classic, the next a mid-80s boogie killer, the month after, a soukous- flavoured Igbo dance monster, and so on. Here at BBE Music, we try to do Eclectic rather than Generic.

😐😐😐

Tabansi from BBE

Really interesting. Actually, and somewhat bizarrely perhaps, the biggest hole in my western African collection is Nigerian so will have to check these out properly...

Really interesting. Actually, and somewhat bizarrely perhaps, the biggest hole in my western African collection is Nigerian so will have to check these out properly...

Ebo Taylor release's story is fun :) Listening to Ojo Balingo – Afrotunes – Best of Juju Vol. II – Oba Mimo Olorun Ayo and it's really good!

Ebo Taylor release's story is fun :) Listening to Ojo Balingo – Afrotunes – Best of Juju Vol. II – Oba Mimo Olorun Ayo and it's really good!

RIP to your wallet :ROFLMAO:

I’m on a building site at the moment so can’t listen to any of it. Hoping to stream on my way home, assuming some of it is on Spotify.

RIP to your wallet :ROFLMAO:

I’m on a building site at the moment so can’t listen to any of it. Hoping to stream on my way home, assuming some of it is on Spotify.

I am listening through the Soundclouds in the BBE store. I'll probably end picking a few reissues :)

I am listening through the Soundclouds in the BBE store. I'll probably end picking a few reissues :)
Ebo Taylor probably my most likely buy. I liked some of the others quite a lot but on first listen not enough to buy. That said, I did really like the Doing It In Lagos compilation so I think there will be some good stuff to come.

Back