Wilco (The Thread)

My initial impression (after one listen) is that it is A.M.'s older brother. It is definitely Wilco and post Jay Bennet's departure Wilco. Nels is chill which gives it a more laid back feel. I kind of get @Viking Dan 's point about it being Dead adjacent, but then I think the band often is just with little art pop things thrown in here and there. No Depression calls it forward facing which is ridiculous because it is a definitely a call back to A.M. hell even the double album recalls Being There. It ain't country that will get played on country radio, but it ain't not country either.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a Wilco album, but there are some songs where I hear them loud and clear.

It might be the intonation Neil uses on the slide guitar with some tunes.

It could be that Two of my favorites on the album are 5+ and 7+ minutes and don’t end where/how they started out.

And like I said it feels very languid throughout - at times I get a real Unbroken Chain vibe.

So - I’m calling it Dead adjacent. But the melody structures and choices are still very Wilco - if that makes any sense.
I've listened to about a half it. I can sorta hear the Dead-ish sounds, but yeah it's definitely a Wilco record. I know it kind of recalls their earlier work, but it's also a pretty straight line from Ode To Joy to here. Because both of these (so far at least) do have that relaxed, no fuss atmosphere to them. There aren't a ton of big hooks on the songs I've heard - like they had on albums like AM, Being There, and Summerteeth. But it's a pretty nice listen. I hope it opens itself up more with time. I never totally gelled with Ode To Joy.

It's a really solid album, a nice cohesive listen, with perhaps a tad too much filler.

To my ears, it sounds more like a Jeff solo album fleshed out with the entire band, which I suppose it actually is. Still, they all sound energized and happy to be making music together. And let's be honest, any new Wilco is always cause for celebration.

I think the real difference is the way Jeff sings. He's actually singing! And, he sounds good! No more of the mumbling, rambling vocals from his recent solo material (which I still enjoy for what they are).

For me, Wilco's high water mark will always be A Ghost is Born. I don't see that changing, but this is a really nice addition to their oeuvre, and one that I will surely pick up on vinyl when it comes off the press.

Sad to be missing my first Solid Sound in over a decade, but couldn't pull it off with the May dates.

I just found out (from an email from Wilco) that you can stream their sets from solid sound this weekend, so yeah I’m doing that. I won’t be able to stream the Cruel Country set tonight but I’ll catch up on it tomorrow. I’m curious to see how it plays live. Those jammier songs are fantastic.

I really like the album, I'm assuming no announcements yet on physical media for it?
There will be a limited edition cd release on Record Store Day (6/18). No word on vinyl yet. Given that they recorded this in 2022, it could be quite a while. I'm thinking early 2023 ETA is a reasonable guess.

It's a really solid album, a nice cohesive listen, with perhaps a tad too much filler.

To my ears, it sounds more like a Jeff solo album fleshed out with the entire band, which I suppose it actually is. Still, they all sound energized and happy to be making music together. And let's be honest, any new Wilco is always cause for celebration.

I think the real difference is the way Jeff sings. He's actually singing! And, he sounds good! No more of the mumbling, rambling vocals from his recent solo material (which I still enjoy for what they are).

For me, Wilco's high water mark will always be A Ghost is Born. I don't see that changing, but this is a really nice addition to their oeuvre, and one that I will surely pick up on vinyl when it comes off the press.

Sad to be missing my first Solid Sound in over a decade, but couldn't pull it off with the May dates.
I agree with the Jeff solo expanded idea. Has it's moments, but still a little samey throughout. Was hoping for more highs and lows. Need a few more listens to let it get in and see how my view changes.

Might've been a good year to miss Solid Sound, just saw they had a delay earlier for a downpour and the forecast wasn't looking great.

I agree with the Jeff solo expanded idea. Has it's moments, but still a little samey throughout. Was hoping for more highs and lows. Need a few more listens to let it get in and see how my view changes.

Might've been a good year to miss Solid Sound, just saw they had a delay earlier for a downpour and the forecast wasn't looking great.
I’m watching the livestream, which is actually really well done. Not the same as being there, of course, but the camera work is pretty solid. The new songs live are fine but my current take is that the early hype might have been premature on this one. I’ll continue to re-evaluate, of course.

The allmusic review made mention of it feeling cohesive whereas the albums from Star Wars to now, haven't. That might be why I like it so much on initial listen. It feels like an album, not just a collection of songs. (As much as I love those records, I do have to agree that they are not statements from the band so much.)

The allmusic review made mention of it feeling cohesive whereas the albums from Star Wars to now, haven't. That might be why I like it so much on initial listen. It feels like an album, not just a collection of songs. (As much as I love those records, I do have to agree that they are not statements from the band so much.)
Definitely agree.

I'm glad some folks are really enjoying Cruel Country. It's actually a great headphone listen, with plenty of really nice accents and nuance throughout. The songwriting is solid, the band is technically proficient, and the singing is some of Jeff's best.

So what will ultimately hold it back from becoming a Wilco classic? For me - personally - it's lacking in variety, and a bit short on inspiration. If you're going to lean in and make a country record, why not go all in? Bring on the banjo, mandolin, pedal steel and fiddle. Rely on the talent of one of the best bands in the world, of course, but why not bring in some session musicians? This one seems content to go halfway, and the result is a procession of solid but unspectacular mid-tempo songs. Is it an enjoyable, cohesive listen? Absolutely. Is it the Wilco LP I'm going to be reaching for when I need a fix? Probably not.

I'm glad some folks are really enjoying Cruel Country. It's actually a great headphone listen, with plenty of really nice accents and nuance throughout. The songwriting is solid, the band is technically proficient, and the singing is some of Jeff's best.

So what will ultimately hold it back from becoming a Wilco classic? For me - personally - it's lacking in variety, and a bit short on inspiration. If you're going to lean in and make a country record, why not go all in? Bring on the banjo, mandolin, pedal steel and fiddle. Rely on the talent of one of the best bands in the world, of course, but why not bring in some session musicians? This one seems content to go halfway, and the result is a procession of solid but unspectacular mid-tempo songs. Is it an enjoyable, cohesive listen? Absolutely. Is it the Wilco LP I'm going to be reaching for when I need a fix? Probably not.
You nailed it with your review. And if ”country” wasn’t in the title, I would barely have noticed the “country“ sound. Totally fine album, but just kind of meanders along.

So streaming those sets from Solid Sound was amazing. Hearing Cruel Country live made me appreciate it so much more that by the second night when they played a few of the songs I realized just how great the album is. Also killer long Wilco set. But then that final night with Jeff Tweedy and Friends? I wasn’t expecting much and was so surprised how much I enjoyed it. It made me go back and spin Love Is The King again. What a great record! There are a few songs that haven’t fully clicked yet, but in general I think it’s his best solo album.

So streaming those sets from Solid Sound was amazing. Hearing Cruel Country live made me appreciate it so much more that by the second night when they played a few of the songs I realized just how great the album is. Also killer long Wilco set. But then that final night with Jeff Tweedy and Friends? I wasn’t expecting much and was so surprised how much I enjoyed it. It made me go back and spin Love Is The King again. What a great record! There are a few songs that haven’t fully clicked yet, but in general I think it’s his best solo album.
From everything I've read the weekend was awesome—I regret that I wasn't able to watch, but I hope I can see and hear especially the first night soon enough!

I think this album is really going to open up over time. My first listen was on headphones on my back deck Saturday, which I enjoyed. Second listen was on the new system, hot Sunday afternoon with the windows open, having a couple puffs in between the two discs. Really sounded great that time.

I think Tweedy has been on an amazing and insightful streak recently. His records, Wilco's, his books, his newsletter. Dude seems he's like on to something. Hopefully it grows on those here who haven't dug it so far. Hope they give it some more time.

Back