Wilco (The Thread)

Via a potential leak (see photo below, the sentence with the album announcment has since been removed), it sounds as though Wilco will be releasing a surprise (a la Star Wars) double album in May. Nothing definitive yet, but it sounds likely, and promising of course...

Via a potential leak (see photo below, the sentence with the album announcment has since been removed), it sounds as though Wilco will be releasing a surprise (a la Star Wars) double album in May. Nothing definitive yet, but it sounds likely, and promising of course...

Jeff mentioned in his newsletter a while back that they'd finished some recording sessions. Can't wait to hear it! If it's next month already that would be a real nice surprise.

Also the YHF livestream was incredible. The band sounded awesome, especially with the string quartet and the other musicians.

Yes, Please!

Release date is the first day of their Solid Sound festival. Wish I could swing it this year!
Alas, it's going to be the first one I'll miss in almost a decade. My wife grew up in Vermont, on a farm about 20 minutes from Mass MoCA. We go back to visit her Mom (who still lives on the farm) every June, and always catch Solid Sound, every other year until recently. My daughters have each seen Wilco at least 10 times at this point.

In any case, they moved it up to Memorial Day this year, due to a cascade effect from COVID (rescheduled Europe tour, etc) and we just can't swing it. Bummer, as along with Picakthon they are some of the better musical weekends we have experienced. Sounds as though they may play the entire new album straight through on Friday night?

A few years back they had fans vote on which album to play from start to finish on Friday, and Being There was the winner. For an encore, they came back and played Yankee Hotel Foxtrot from start to finish. Won't forget that one anytime soon.

I'm not that into the new single. If this is legit a double album of country music from Wilco, I don't know how much I'll enjoy it. Their earlier days are my least favorite. I still listen to everything Wilco / Jeff does, so I will still give it a chance - and hey I would love to be surprised how much I love it. But the single just doesn't do much for me.

I'm not that into the new single. If this is legit a double album of country music from Wilco, I don't know how much I'll enjoy it. Their earlier days are my least favorite. I still listen to everything Wilco / Jeff does, so I will still give it a chance - and hey I would love to be surprised how much I love it. But the single just doesn't do much for me.

While I'm not the biggest fan of their more country era, I feel like this single has more in common with the Being There sound than AM, if that makes sense. More of a playful, having fun, let's just play some songs together and hang out kind of vibe. Which I love. We'll see, but I quite this song.

I mean at least Tweedy sounds awake on the track....

While I'm not the biggest fan of their more country era, I feel like this single has more in common with the Being There sound than AM, if that makes sense. More of a playful, having fun, let's just play some songs together and hang out kind of vibe. Which I love. We'll see, but I quite this song.

~ From Pitchfork:

Cruel Country is almost entirely composed of live takes recorded at the Loft in Chicago—a method not employed by Wilco since recording Sky Blue Sky—and follows a loose conceptual narrative of the history of the United States. As the title implies, the album finds Wilco embracing the genre of country music. “We’ve never been particularly comfortable with accepting that definition, the idea that I was making country music. But now, having been around the block a few times, we’re finding it exhilarating to free ourselves within the form, and embrace the simple limitation of calling the music we’re making country,” said Jeff Tweedy in a statement.

I don’t like country music but I do like early Wilco. This seems like the spiritual successor of Being There, so I look forward to hearing the full album.

~ From Pitchfork:

Cruel Country is almost entirely composed of live takes recorded at the Loft in Chicago—a method not employed by Wilco since recording Sky Blue Sky—and follows a loose conceptual narrative of the history of the United States. As the title implies, the album finds Wilco embracing the genre of country music. “We’ve never been particularly comfortable with accepting that definition, the idea that I was making country music. But now, having been around the block a few times, we’re finding it exhilarating to free ourselves within the form, and embrace the simple limitation of calling the music we’re making country,” said Jeff Tweedy in a statement.

that's weird, wilco's website said first time recording live in the lift since the whole love...

The dynamic Chicago rock band Wilco returns with its 12th studio album, the first of its kind. Cruel Country is the band's exploration of the genre they've often been defined by but, until now, never fully embraced. The double album features 21 Jeff Tweedy-penned tracks, made almost entirely of live takes, created with all six members together in The Loft for the first time since the 2011 release The Whole Love.

i REALLY like this single

I need to listen to it again, but yeah they definitely sound more upbeat and fun, which is something.
~ From Pitchfork:

So...it's like country, but maybe not strictly country. It's basically what Wilco already does, then? Or did, I guess.

that's weird, wilco's website said first time recording live in the lift since the whole love...

The dynamic Chicago rock band Wilco returns with its 12th studio album, the first of its kind. Cruel Country is the band's exploration of the genre they've often been defined by but, until now, never fully embraced. The double album features 21 Jeff Tweedy-penned tracks, made almost entirely of live takes, created with all six members together in The Loft for the first time since the 2011 release The Whole Love.

i REALLY like this single
There’s a difference between an album of mostly live takes and an album recorded there.

Back