Wilco (The Thread)

This is nice

Tweedy & Nels joining Phil & Friends lineup at Sacred Rose this summer

SACRED ROSE & PHIL LESH proudly present PHILCO! For the first & only time ever, the worlds of Grateful Dead & Wilco will collide w/ a little help from their friends both new & old. LINEUP: Phil Lesh, Jeff Tweedy, Nels Cline, Jeff Chimenti, Karl Denson, John Molo, Stu Allen, Grahame Lesh & Elliott Peck.

Tweedy & Nels joining Phil & Friends lineup at Sacred Rose this summer

SACRED ROSE & PHIL LESH proudly present PHILCO! For the first & only time ever, the worlds of Grateful Dead & Wilco will collide w/ a little help from their friends both new & old. LINEUP: Phil Lesh, Jeff Tweedy, Nels Cline, Jeff Chimenti, Karl Denson, John Molo, Stu Allen, Grahame Lesh & Elliott Peck.
Wow that sounds awesome!! I can’t wait to hear this.

Anyone have thoughts on Being There, the 2009 pressing vs. the current deluxe issue?

Don’t really want all the extras but the 2009 seems to be hard to find. And one seems to be Bernie, the other Chris Bellman.
I have the 2009 and it’s excellent. I would assume the current reissue is quite good as well. @Viking Dan would probably be best person to ask when it comes to comps.

Anyone have thoughts on Being There, the 2009 pressing vs. the current deluxe issue?

Don’t really want all the extras but the 2009 seems to be hard to find. And one seems to be Bernie, the other Chris Bellman.

I have the 2009 and it’s excellent. I would assume the current reissue is quite good as well. @Viking Dan would probably be best person to ask when it comes to comps.
I've got that pressing of Being There as well and can confirm that it sounds fantastic.

I actually have both - SQ is really good on both. The deluxe is a remaster, and you will definitely pick up on some of those slight differences vs the 2009 (which is great, as everyone has stated)

So...I was perusing one of ye olde hard drives tonight and ran across this - my recording of my first Wilco show.

Taped this baby at the circus tent affectionately known as Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC on 7-28-95. Wilco was the opener for The Jayhawks.

They were already playing a few songs that would end up on the Being There record 15 months later.

They returned to the same venue in October as the headliner and that recording I made is better than this one. At the same time, your first encounter is always special.

Talked to Tweedy in between sets - I talked, he mostly stood there sheepishly. Very, very shy in the early days.

Enjoy and pass it on. Support Wilco by buying their recordings and merchandise and attending their shows.

Thanks for everything, Jay.

Last edited:
So...I was perusing one of ye olde hard drives tonight and ran across this - my recording of my first Wilco show.

Taped this baby at the circus tent affectionately known as Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC on 7-28-95. Wilco was the opener for The Jayhawks.

They were already playing a few songs that would end up on the Being There record 15 months later.

They returned to the same venue in October as the headliner and that recording I made is better than this one. At the same time, your first encounter is always special.

Talked to Tweedy in between sets - I talked, he mostly stood there sheepishly. Very, very shy in the early days.

Enjoy and pass it on. Support Wilco by buying their recordings and merchandise and attending their shows.

Inquiring minds would like to know if you've got more where that came from. Did/do you circulate your full shows anywhere, or mostly keep those for private listening?

Wow I didn't even know they were here. That would have been an amazing venue. I really need to start receiving notifications for local concerts again.

Inquiring minds would like to know if you've got more where that came from. Did/do you circulate your full shows anywhere, or mostly keep those for private listening?

I've always freely shared my live recordings. For me, that's the whole point of investing the money and time to tape - to help the band gain a wider audience and sell more tickets and stuff.

All my shows have been put out there with the exception of some things I've taped in probably the last 10 years or so. I've fallen off the uploading train in my old age. The only thing I've really done is post a track here and there on Soundcloud. With that said, I'm sure a lot of my past recordings have become dead links or are on torrent sites that have fallen by the wayside.

I've recorded hundreds of shows. If there's something in particular you're interested in let me know and I'll try and oblige.

Last edited:

This is awesome - thanks for sharing! I wasn't at this July show, but was at the headlining show that you mention later that October!

I've always freely shared my live recordings. For me, that's the whole point of investing the money and time to tape - to help the band gain a wider audience and sell more tickets and stuff.

All my shows have been put out there with the exception of some things I've taped in probably the last 10 years or so. I've fallen off the uploading train in my old age. The only thing I've really done is post a track here and there on Soundcloud. With that said, I'm sure a lot of my past recordings have become dead links or are on torrent sites that have fallen by the wayside.

I've recorded hundreds of shows. If there's something in particular you're interested in let me know and I'll try and oblige.
If either or both of these 1995 shows you recorded are still live or circulating somewhere, I would be very interested and grateful.

Back