Which RCM would you get?

Which RMC would you get?

• Total voters
As a VPI owner...I gotta say it's a great RCM.

I haven't tried anything else.

I've cleaned 1000's of records and still on my original tubes (don't use the 7" all that much)....although I have changed out the felt a few times.

The only issue I've had was a few months back when a switch went bad. Replacement parts are easy to get from VPI, but seem to cost a bit more than you'd expect.

Talked to one dealer who recommended the Kirmuss system. I had kind of forgotten about that one. I do think it's probably the technically best solution - I just don't see myself putting that much time into every album. I mean they are talking about 30-45 minutes of cleaning per album. Sure you can do a few albums at a time rotating them in one by one, but after 35 minutes the machine needs a 15 minute break. So if you're doing 3 LPs and you get through what, one cycle? Then you take a 15 minute break and do it again, sometimes for 4+ cycles. Nearly 2 gallons of distilled water every time you need to put fresh water in the tank. I feel like I'd need to keep 6 gallons of distilled water on hand if I wanted to knock out a large stack of albums. Plenty of times I've gone to a local store and picked up 5+ albums with at least 3 of them being double LPS. Is one tank going to be enough for all 8 LPs? And that time investment is going to be multiple hours devoted to cleaning.

You'd spend almost 50% of your audio time cleaning records with that system. Doing one LP wouldn't be a big issue, but I feel like I'd want a personal staff member if I had to do more than 3 LPs at any time. Maybe someday, but I think keeping up with cleaning vs listening time would become a burden with that system.

Talked to one dealer who recommended the Kirmuss system. I had kind of forgotten about that one. I do think it's probably the technically best solution - I just don't see myself putting that much time into every album. I mean they are talking about 30-45 minutes of cleaning per album. Sure you can do a few albums at a time rotating them in one by one, but after 35 minutes the machine needs a 15 minute break. So if you're doing 3 LPs and you get through what, one cycle? Then you take a 15 minute break and do it again, sometimes for 4+ cycles. Nearly 2 gallons of distilled water every time you need to put fresh water in the tank. I feel like I'd need to keep 6 gallons of distilled water on hand if I wanted to knock out a large stack of albums. Plenty of times I've gone to a local store and picked up 5+ albums with at least 3 of them being double LPS. Is one tank going to be enough for all 8 LPs? And that time investment is going to be multiple hours devoted to cleaning.

You'd spend almost 50% of your audio time cleaning records with that system. Doing one LP wouldn't be a big issue, but I feel like I'd want a personal staff member if I had to do more than 3 LPs at any time. Maybe someday, but I think keeping up with cleaning vs listening time would become a burden with that system.

Check further into this one. Lots of discussion about toothpaste like gunk coming out of the grooves with this system/fluid. I’ve never seen this before with any other method. You have to keep cleaning until there is no more gunk, so you might end up spending an hour or more on one album. That’s a hard pass for me.

For what it's worth I would avoid Kirmuss, it's not the most.... stable company.

Check further into this one. Lots of discussion about toothpaste like gunk coming out of the grooves with this system/fluid. I’ve never seen this before with any other method. You have to keep cleaning until there is no more gunk, so you might end up spending an hour or more on one album. That’s a hard pass for me.
The clean until it doesn't foam method is one of those things that I think is likely technically superior, but yeah... and hour an album. I got into vinyl to listen, not to clean. It's already a chore.
For what it's worth I would avoid Kirmuss, it's not the most.... stable company.
Didn't realize that. Luckily I was already out based on the work involved.

@displayname Look at this thread. An ultrasonic cleaner user thinks he’s got hearing loss from the machine. Check the latest posts: links with proof that hearing loss from ultrasonic frequency exposure is real.

@displayname Look at this thread. An ultrasonic cleaner user thinks he’s got hearing loss from the machine. Check the latest posts: links with proof that hearing loss from ultrasonic frequency exposure is real.

One more reason to keep ultrasonic options off the list!

I have thought about getting all the stuff to make a DIY ultrasonic cleaner.

I already have hearing loss from all the music I've listened to over the years, so I'm not too worried about that.

I’ve definitely considered it, but ultimately decided I had no place to keep and make use of one without risking my marriage.

I gotta be honest, the time from RCM to platter, with a really good cleaning, is probably the best selling point of the VPI. I think everyone has a slightly different ritual, but the time from cleaning to listening is next to nothing.

I gotta be honest, the time from RCM to platter, with a really good cleaning, is probably the best selling point of the VPI. I think everyone has a slightly different ritual, but the time from cleaning to listening is next to nothing.

It really isn't an issue to clean a record with the VPI. If I get a record out and see it needs cleaning a 15 foot walk over to the RCM and within 2 minutes it's clean and spinning on the TT.

I understand that my setup is different than everyone else, but there isn't a lot of prep or set up that needs to happen when using the VPI....compared to some of the other, cheaper options.

I kinda hate the LED lights hah but the rest of it is pretty awesome lookin. It reminds me a bit of when people put neon lights under their cars. Wonder if you have to use the cleaner reservoir? I assume you could use your own liquid manually.
LOL - seriously why does everything need an customisable LED light these days? Is this like the new lava lamp of the 2020s??

LOL - seriously why does everything need an customisable LED light these days? Is this like the new lava lamp of the 2020s??
That unit would look pretty slick with a matching lava lamp though. Get some tube gear, set the LED and lava lamp to red, and get cozy in a warm room with hellish glow 😝:devilish:

I have the ProJect cleaner, but not the Alu version. It works great, very simple, does what it needs to do. No complaints about it at all.
I have the Project VC-S and am happy with it. Gave in and bought the 7” wand recently too.
A selling point for me was that only the label is in contact with the machine.

I kinda hate the LED lights hah but the rest of it is pretty awesome lookin. It reminds me a bit of when people put neon lights under their cars. Wonder if you have to use the cleaner reservoir? I assume you could use your own liquid manually.

That isn’t a cleaner reservoir. There’s a storage area for the cleaning fluid bottle and a jar to collect dirty fluid.

@HiFi Guy - Do you think the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU does just good of a job as the VPI 16.5? 🤔

What I really like about the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU is that you do only one or two rotations when you turn the vacuum on, and that the machine has a button for both clockwise rotation and anti clockwise rotation! 👍

Also, reviews of the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU have been very positive! They all say that it gets into the dirt of the grooves much better than previous Pro-ject models and that the vacuuming is more powerful, but less quiet! ✅♻️

I know you have the VPI 16.5 HiFi-Guy, but have you looked at the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU out of curiosity?

Thanks! 😘🙏

@HiFi Guy - Do you think the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU does just good of a job as the VPI 16.5? 🤔

What I really like about the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU is that you do only one or two rotations when you turn the vacuum on, and that the machine has a button for both clockwise rotation and anti clockwise rotation! 👍

Also, reviews of the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU have been very positive! They all say that it gets into the dirt of the grooves much better than previous Pro-ject models and that the vacuuming is more powerful, but less quiet! ✅

I know you have the VPI 16.5 HiFi-Guy, but have you looked at the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU out of curiosity?

Thanks! 😘🙏

Regardless of brand, all of the “wand” type record vacuums work about the same.

I bought the VPI because they’ve been making record cleaning machines for nearly 4 decades. There’s only one other company I’m aware of that have been at it longer- Keith Monks. Parts and service are easily available.

The Pro-Ject will do a comparable job to the VPI. Don’t believe the claim that the record will be dry in two revolutions. VPI says this too. It’s really 4-5 revolutions, but I’m probably a little heavy handed with the fluid.

Also, don’t get hung up on the reversible direction. It won’t make a difference at all during vacuuming. You can do the same thing with a machine that doesn’t reverse by changing the position of the brush while spreading the fluid. Start straight perpendicular until the entire playing surface is covered. Then tilt the brush towards you for a couple of revolutions. Then rotate the brush away from you- this is the same as reverse as far as I can figure.

I wouldn’t by an Okki Nokki. Distribution is really spotty. Sometimes they are available. Sometimes they aren’t. I wouldn’t want to count on them for parts or service.

Other than that, get the one you like. A record cleaning machine is a real game changer.

Back