Which RCM would you get?

Which RMC would you get?

• Total voters
This video talks a lot about the VPI 16.5 vs the older Project VC-S. Easily the most detailed discussion I've seen between the those two models. Has me thinking again...

I definitely noticed that in the video. It looks like they only have 1 US dealer. I did see it on analogueseduction, but I'd probably have to email them to confirm I'd be getting a US plug. Between the current options, I do find myself constantly drawn to these designs with the label size platter. That just seems smart to me. Maybe unnecessary, but flat out logical.

With the label size platter, you don’t have any possible groove contamination from the platter, so that’s a plus.

This video talks a lot about the VPI 16.5 vs the older Project VC-S. Easily the most detailed discussion I've seen between the those two models. Has me thinking again...

I definitely noticed that in the video. It looks like they only have 1 US dealer. I did see it on analogueseduction, but I'd probably have to email them to confirm I'd be getting a US plug. Between the current options, I do find myself constantly drawn to these designs with the label size platter. That just seems smart to me. Maybe unnecessary, but flat out logical.

According to the blurb on analogue seduction it’s a 12V DC powered device which comes with a linear supply so you just need to swap the uk IEC chord from the linear with a US IEC chord.

Assuming that’s the Keith Monks you’re talking about...

Keith Monks Prodigy
That is pretty cool, I gotta be honest the "thread" design (and price) were not very appealing to me in the past. This thread-less version is pretty cool, much less of an eye sore I guess, and a tad slower. But, you can do all sizes which is nice........at $1000, if I did my math right, I don't know, I can hammer through a lot of albums on the VPI at about half the cost, and don't have enough 7" or 10" records for it to be an issue. But, the VPI has paid for itself, so I think in the long run adding the "add on" for whatever size is ok.

Intriguing none the less ;)

With the label size platter, you don’t have any possible groove contamination from the platter, so that’s a plus.
True, but I've gone to the "felt matt" method with the VPI and it's been fine..........not that it wasn't fine without ;)

That is pretty cool, I gotta be honest the "thread" design (and price) were not very appealing to me in the past. This thread-less version is pretty cool, much less of an eye sore I guess, and a tad slower. But, you can do all sizes which is nice........at $1000, if I did my math right, I don't know, I can hammer through a lot of albums on the VPI at about half the cost, and don't have enough 7" or 10" records for it to be an issue. But, the VPI has paid for itself, so I think in the long run adding the "add on" for whatever size is ok.

Intriguing none the less ;)

Less. £795 is 120% of the price that you’d pay because as a US resident you don’t pay UK VAT so analogue seduction would deduct it at checkout.

According to the blurb on analogue seduction it’s a 12V DC powered device which comes with a linear supply so you just need to swap the uk IEC chord from the linear with a US IEC chord.

Assuming that’s the Keith Monks you’re talking about...

That’s assuming the power supply has a universal 110/220V input. If it’s 220V only, you’d need a different power supply.

That’s assuming the power supply has a universal 110/220V input. If it’s 220V only, you’d need a different power supply.

True, it would seem weird that they’d suggest themselves to do that if it didn’t, although nothing would surprise me at this stage!

Less. £795 is 120% of the price that you’d pay because as a US resident you don’t pay UK VAT so analogue seduction would deduct it at checkout.
But they have a hefty shipping charge to the US. It comes to $910 if ordering from analog seduction.

But they have a hefty shipping charge to the US. It comes to $910 if ordering from analog seduction.

To be fair it’s a biggish piece! They’re pretty fair with shipping normally, I think they only charge £4 to ship small things like carts across!

To be fair it’s a biggish piece! They’re pretty fair with shipping normally, I think they only charge £4 to ship small things like carts across!
Yup, I believe US retail was slated to be $1000, and if you have taxes too than that's a significant savings even with that shipping charge.

Yup, I believe US retail was slated to be $1000, and if you have taxes too than that's a significant savings even with that shipping charge.
Did you find a US vendor? From the list on their site, nobody even carries their brand, probably never updated.

I voted for the VPI. I have a spin clean but haven’t used it in years mostly because I’m lazy and I’m out of fluid. I was interested in the Pro-Ject but if you’re going to buy that you might as well go with the VPI.

I’ll remember that offer, @HiFi Guy
Are you able to just buy the VPI with the upgraded wand?

I voted for the VPI. I have a spin clean but haven’t used it in years mostly because I’m lazy and I’m out of fluid. I was interested in the Pro-Ject but if you’re going to buy that you might as well go with the VPI.

I’ll remember that offer, @HiFi Guy
Are you able to just buy the VPI with the upgraded wand?

No, but I’ll bet my guy will give a few dollars off of the Delryn.

Hi @displayname,

I've had my Okki Nokki (I think mine's just called the version 2) since February 2019 and had a similar consideration set as you. I went with the Okki Nokki for the following reasons:
  1. Small Footprint. Between the VPI, Pro-ject, and Okki Nokki, the Okki Nokki was the smallest. I knew that if mine wasn't easy to use, I wouldn't use it since I know how lazy I am. It was also the nicest looking out of the three and I didn't want to tuck it away somewhere, since again, knowing me, I wouldn't use it if it wasn't as easy as possible for me. However, I think I might build a stand for mine at some point.
  2. At the time, the Okki Nokki was the only one (out of the three) that wasn't made out of MDF. I've had aquarium stands made out of MDF and no matter how careful I was, I'd always get water spills so I think that's just ingrained in my head that MDF around liquids is not good. It probably isn't a huge concern for an RCM, but I have seen pics of leaking VPIs and the MDF getting damaged, so I wanted something made out of something other than MDF. Using it now, it seems like there's not a huge chance of large enough amounts of liquid spilling, but I've also read of RCM reservoirs leaking....
  3. Sound. I found a YouTube video somewhere comparing the sound levels. From what I remember, the VPI was pretty loud (I remember reading somewhere the guy wouldn't clean like an hour before listening sessions 'cause he felt like it affected his hearing). The Okki Nokki isn't quiet, but I also don't feel like I'm going to lose my hearing after using it. I'd say it's about the same loudness as my Miele vacuum cleaner and definitely not as loud as a shop vac. I can take dB measurements if you'd like.
  4. Vacuum tube. I read a lot about vacuum tubes breaking or ease/cost of replacing tubes (I think the VPI requires the whole tube to be replaced?). It's $10 on Amazon to replace the vacuum tube strips for the Okki Nokki.
I also happened to find it at a good price at Turntable Lab...they had 'em for $450 (and it included the $50 lid for free and free shipping, plus I got another small discount for some promo they were running at the time). I approached it as a tool that'll eventually wear out so thought I'd give it a shot and I'm really happy with it.

My only gripe with it so far is that the acrylic lid has seams that are coming apart. It should be easy enough to fix with some acrylic glue, but still a little annoying since it seems like it was just a sloppy job from the factory. Oh, also, I don't use the included brush (bought a MoFi brush and only use the included brush for the occasional rinsing step). I use the TTVJ gold for the washing fluid.

As a disclaimer, I don't have as large a collection as most of the people on this forum, so I'd say I'm a pretty light user (I only have maybe 100 records, and I only buy new). It was also one of the first accessories I bought for my analog setup. Not sure how this thing would hold up to much heavier use, but I don't have any concerns. I'll also admit I was a little on the fence about buying from a company I hadn't heard of (especially compared to VPI & Pro-ject) but I'm still really happy with it.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Did you find a US vendor? From the list on their site, nobody even carries their brand, probably never updated.
Nope, I just saw $1K mentioned in some of the tradeshow coverage while doing some Googling.

Hi @displayname,

I've had my Okki Nokki (I think mine's just called the version 2) since February 2019 and had a similar consideration set as you. I went with the Okki Nokki for the following reasons:
  1. Small Footprint. Between the VPI, Pro-ject, and Okki Nokki, the Okki Nokki was the smallest. I knew that if mine wasn't easy to use, I wouldn't use it since I know how lazy I am. It was also the nicest looking out of the three and I didn't want to tuck it away somewhere, since again, knowing me, I wouldn't use it if it wasn't as easy as possible for me. However, I think I might build a stand for mine at some point.
  2. At the time, the Okki Nokki was the only one (out of the three) that wasn't made out of MDF. I've had aquarium stands made out of MDF and no matter how careful I was, I'd always get water spills so I think that's just ingrained in my head that MDF around liquids is not good. It probably isn't a huge concern for an RCM, but I have seen pics of leaking VPIs and the MDF getting damaged, so I wanted something made out of something other than MDF. Using it now, it seems like there's not a huge chance of large enough amounts of liquid spilling, but I've also read of RCM reservoirs leaking....
  3. Sound. I found a YouTube video somewhere comparing the sound levels. From what I remember, the VPI was pretty loud (I remember reading somewhere the guy wouldn't clean like an hour before listening sessions 'cause he felt like it affected his hearing). The Okki Nokki isn't quiet, but I also don't feel like I'm going to lose my hearing after using it. I'd say it's about the same loudness as my Miele vacuum cleaner and definitely not as loud as a shop vac. I can take dB measurements if you'd like.
  4. Vacuum tube. I read a lot about vacuum tubes breaking or ease/cost of replacing tubes (I think the VPI requires the whole tube to be replaced?). It's $10 on Amazon to replace the vacuum tube strips for the Okki Nokki.
I also happened to find it at a good price at Turntable Lab...they had 'em for $450 (and it included the $50 lid for free and free shipping, plus I got another small discount for some promo they were running at the time). I approached it as a tool that'll eventually wear out so thought I'd give it a shot and I'm really happy with it.

My only gripe with it so far is that the acrylic lid has seams that are coming apart. It should be easy enough to fix with some acrylic glue, but still a little annoying since it seems like it was just a sloppy job from the factory. Oh, also, I don't use the included brush (bought a MoFi brush and only use the included brush for the occasional rinsing step). I use the TTVJ gold for the washing fluid.

As a disclaimer, I don't have as large a collection as most of the people on this forum, so I'd say I'm a pretty light user (I only have maybe 100 records, and I only buy new). It was also one of the first accessories I bought for my analog setup. Not sure how this thing would hold up to much heavier use, but I don't have any concerns. I'll also admit I was a little on the fence about buying from a company I hadn't heard of (especially compared to VPI & Pro-ject) but I'm still really happy with it.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Thanks for all the input! The MDF is a good point and something I've considered. I agree, MDF is always tricky with liquids involved. In theory shouldn't be an issue, but I think that the new Project being made of aluminum was a wise choice.

On the footprint, that's not really a major concern for me with this group. They all fit on top of 2x2 kallax, which is where is am planning for this to purchase to live.

Now as far as sound, I would certainly expect VPI to be the loudest. But according to various reviews and things I've read it likely also has the strongest vacuum. The new Okkie Nokkie ONE is supposed to be even quieter than previous units, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's the least noisy on the list (other than that KM Prodigy). Again, the breaking tubes seem to have been addressed by pro-ject's current line with the aluminum tubes. If I do go VPI I'd likely assume I'd likely assume I would just need to plan for a Delrin tube down the road.

I do think I'm counting Okkie Nokkie out for now. If I was waiting a year I'd see how this new model shakes out. But based on mixed reliability reports, a new model which isn't field tested yet, and an undefined delivery date... it feels a bit too much like a dice roll currently. Also Pro-ject and VPI have not had production issues leading with delays to keep the US market satisfied. I do worry with Okkie that if I should have any issues, it might be over a month before replacement parts would even be available. Just more questions than answers at this stage unfortunately, an I've got a big collection that will need cleaning sooner than later.

Back