What's The Most Valuable Record In Your Collection?

Well... I'm not actively trying to sell it, at the moment, so it probably isn't going anywhere. The truth is that I'd probably make more piecing it out, because of what they go for individually, but I'm not really interested.

The thing about the interview is that it wasn't really "on brand" yet, at the time. That was the first time they pulled some shit like that, since TMS wasn't even out and they just signed to Epic. In the advanced CD was one of the NLDW pill stickers announcing that it was coming, which was interesting because, when they bailed, the excuse was that they did so to make that album. It wasn't even finished? Yet, I was supposed to be interviewing them to promote the other album that wasn't out yet. They booked a bunch of club dates and then just ghosted on everything. Their publicist told me that he had no idea how to get a hold of them or where they were. He seemed a little stressed himself. He suggested the best move would be to keep an eye on their twitter -- this is well before they ever took it down the first time -- and just wait to see if they pop up. I got the feeling he'd been doing that himself. I told him that I wasn't going to do that for anyone. Nevermind.

At the time, I'd just started writing for a magazine and they'd sent me and other writers a list of names for potential interview subjects. They were broken up into half, full, and multi-page groups. It was my first thing I did for them and I picked EL-P for a multi-page. Nobody wanted it, I guess, so I got that. I also asked for GZA, but that never happened. His album Dark Matter still hasn't come out and this was back in 2012. I interviewed EL the week before the release of Cancer 4 Cure and Killer Mike's RAP Music, which he produced. Somewhere in there -- they came out a week apart from each other. The next week was supposed to be the Death Grips interview and I had all my questions together and everything, but... nope. We were encouraged to pitch artists to them, so DG was my idea. Instead of doing that, I interviewed Jon Benjamin that week for my own site and... it was kind of awkward for certain reasons. I went to cover the Sasquatch! Festival the next day and never posted that Benjamin interview, but I told someone that I might try and pull it out here, while the last forum was going down in flames.
Damn a fairly interesting set of interviews and potential interviews there haha. You still writing these days?

Damn a fairly interesting set of interviews and potential interviews there haha. You still writing these days?

Yeah. On and off. I always am. I have to try and catch up with a bunch of stuff on my own site, which I haven't really been doing lately due to medical stuff, etc. The EL-P interview is actually on there, right now. I offered to write for that magazine, and did so for a couple of years, primarily because I liked holding something tangible. With a website, you don't get to put staples in it and call it a finished "issue" or tack on credits like a film. You just, immediately, go on to something else, so it's hard to feel like you've ever finished anything. Unfortunately, that magazine kind of didn't have their act together. There was no communication. I'd just get cc'd in an email about how I was doing something and them trying to schedule it, etc. so I told them I was over it. There was no pay, which never bothered me, but that part definitely did

Wow, is that John Prine that much better than an original? I didn't think I needed it since I have one but now that I see that price I'm wondering if I missed out. FOhavingMO? Ha.
I have no idea. People being willing to pay too much on Discogs doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

i used to be really good at keeping my discogs up to date, but then i started grad school. now i feel too behind to catch up again, lol. i don't think i haven't added anything that would've made it into the top rungs here.

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 11.03.12 AM.png

sorted by median, highest to lowest. ugh @ the top one. owned it long before all the gross broke.
Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 11.05.46 AM.png

Massive kudos to @panino for PIF-ing me De La Soul Is Dead.

Can't see myself ever selling any of these, all fantastic records and pressings I'm very happy with.

Edit: my bad, that Frank Ocean press is, relatively speaking, not very good but I love that record. I wonder how the people who sell this (and blond) actually deal with marking them Mint/NM and then the buyer getting warps and pops and clicks.

My list is not surprisingly dominated by African records - I've sorted by max as in my experience this better reflects their value (quite a lot of records aren't here as the only copies sold on Discogs will be cover or record only and maybe G condition, or maybe never sold there). It's not a hard and fast rule but often there is almost a natural order with these old African records - the better the music, the more expensive it is.
Vinyl 1.jpgVinyl 2.jpgVinyl 3.jpgVinyl 4.jpgVinyl 5.jpg

My list is not surprisingly dominated by African records - I've sorted by max as in my experience this better reflects their value (quite a lot of records aren't here as the only copies sold on Discogs will be cover or record only and maybe G condition, or maybe never sold there). It's not a hard and fast rule but often there is almost a natural order with these old African records - the better the music, the more expensive it is.
View attachment 1557View attachment 1558View attachment 1559View attachment 1560View attachment 1561

Guess that's my listening list sorted then for the next week :)

Back