What's Spinning

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#275: Talking Heads - Remain in Light

#276: Talking Heads - True Stories

IMG_20200803_071034.jpg

Stereolab - Dots and Loops [311/344]
3xLP reissue

15964956584896753824483417405743.jpg

Blind bought this on the high praise of everyone here and with several claiming this is one of their more accessible releases. This is an excellent value for $27 considering 3xLP, gatefold, and 24" x 24" double-sided poster. More importantly, the sound quality is STUNNING. The music has such a wide variety of timbres and is very much in line with what I enjoy...kind of reminds me of Can somewhat?

Stereolab - Dots and Loops [311/344]
3xLP reissue

View attachment 59848

Blind bought this on the high praise of everyone here and with several claiming this is one of their more accessible releases. This is an excellent value for $27 considering 3xLP, gatefold, and 24" x 24" double-sided poster. More importantly, the sound quality is STUNNING. The music has such a wide variety of timbres and is very much in line with what I enjoy...kind of reminds me of Can somewhat?
Fun fact: Dots & Loops was produced by Tortoise percussionist John McEntire. You probably need to grab a copy of Emperor Tomato Ketchup next.

Fun fact: Dots & Loops was produced by Tortoise percussionist John McEntire.

That explains a lot. I loved TNT. Also another release that makes other reissues look embarrassingly overpriced in comparison ($20 for 2xLP, optional color vinyl, tip-on sleeve, UV spot gloss, gatefold, and DL code).

You probably need to grab a copy of Emperor Tomato Ketchup next.

Just added to listening list. Thanks, friendo (y)

Fun fact: Dots & Loops was produced by Tortoise percussionist John McEntire. You probably need to grab a copy of Emperor Tomato Ketchup next.
That explains a lot. I loved TNT. Also another release that makes other reissues look embarrassingly overpriced in comparison ($20 for 2xLP, optional color vinyl, tip-on sleeve, UV spot gloss, gatefold, and DL code).

I played "Cobra & Phases" a lot back in the day. Probably because it was the first Stereolab album I bought upon release since I got into them after "Dots and Loops". Haven't heard it in a while since I don't have it on vinyl (I need to correct that). Anyway, if you're going down the rabbit hole, look into that one too (after you get "Emperor Tomato Ketchup" - that's the most essential IMO).

Cross post from the challenge thread:

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Time At Ronnie Scott's (Fontana, 1966 First UK Mono Pressing)

I would describe Blossom's vocals as being 'sickly sweet'. That's not to say I don't like them but as with sweets, I find that its best to limit the amount I have/hear in one sitting. Blossom's reputation kind of blossomed (excuse the pun) when her self titled album was announced as the Classics' pick, and I can understand why as its a fantastic example of vocal jazz. I actually had a couple of her albums before this (a first pressing of the self-titled album and a signed copy of Needlepoint Magic) and I recently picked up this live recording from London's Ronnie Scotts. It's a great session with lots of humour, sickly sweet vocals, and a lot of passion from Blossom. Superb.

IMG_0326.JPG

My collection #766-767

Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around
Aretha Franklin - Aretha Gospel

I wrote with American III that that was my favourite Johnny Cash album but listening to this I'm not so sure. Both 3 and 4 are fantastic. Such powerful but vulnerable singing. And another example of powerful singing from a cross post from the August challenge.

20200803_213915.jpg

20200804_081405.jpg

Back