What's Spinning

Matthew Halsall - On The Go (Gondwana Records, 2016 first pressing with bonus tracks)

I have played this so many times since I picked it up. It’s just outstanding, one of the best records I have heard in ages, every track is sublime. I’m going to thank @Dtknuckles and @Mr Moore for recommending him every time I post it on here :ROFLMAO:

440F2D7F-3A2C-45B5-BF13-2D88897477B5.jpeg

Rush ‎– Feedback
Atlantic/Anthem ‎– R1 83728, 2004/2016

Cut by Sean Magee at Abbey Road
Pressed at QRP

CJKu4n.jpg

c8pC0M.jpg

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#105: Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Bandana

IMG_20191122_065818.jpg

Some will think I'm crazy, but I enjoy this record more than Piñata. It may be the recency bias, but Freddie is at the top of his game here, and the match between beats and flows feels more cohesive to me. Factor in the Pusha T feature on Palmolive, and you got a killer rap record that very few albums can compete with.

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars ‎– Music For Lighthousekeeping (Contemporary, 1957 first Mono pressing)

This series has been one of my highlight discoveries this year. Each album is the All-Stars with at least one guest (Lee Morgan, Max Roach, Hampton Hawes, Chet Baker, etc). Performing at the Lighthouse seems to have been a right of passage, as several of the 'guests' went on to become massive jazz stars. This particular session's guest is pianist Sonny Clark. In the liner notes Howard Rumsey states that 'We feel hee is a new comer who bears watching', which might just be the understatement of the year. Just a few months after appearing on this album Sonny went on to record his first album as lead for Blue Note, 'Dial "S" For Sonny' (of which an original pressing now sells for over £1000)!!!

IMG_0196.JPG

Back