What's Spinning

High on my digging list at the moment. It's eluded me for a while though...
I was looking for this a few months back as well. There hasn't been a decent European press from what I could see. The last one was a few years back from 4 Men With Beards which is certainly worth avoiding...

I definitely paid the top end for this but it is like new. Knowing my luck MOV will add it to their roster now that I’ve bought this.

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#19: Big Bill Broonzy - Sings Folk Songs

IMG_20190829_130533.jpg

The 4mwb is not too bad, my favourite is the Japanese Blu Spec 2 CD though, unless you can get s Japanese original press vinyl.
I haven't actually heard any of their pressings, but I have read that their sources are almost always CD. On top of that I believe (and apologies if im wrong) that their rights to the albums they press is questionable?

I haven't actually heard any of their pressings, but I have read that their sources are almost always CD. On top of that I believe (and apologies if im wrong) that their rights to the albums they press is questionable?

I'm slightly sceptical about the frequent criticism personally. They're US based so they would definitely have acquired rights or face lawsuits (which perhaps they have, I don't know). I also figure once they've acquired rights, why bother using CDs, they would presumably be paying for the legitimate digi files as part of the rights acquisition. I've read lots of stuff from internet randos shitting on them but when someone I trust like @kafunis has actually listened and compared and suggests it ain't that bad, I'm much more inclined to trust that. I'm waiting for one to come up cheap over here so I can try one myself without spending too much but I rarely see them.

Last edited:
I'm slightly sceptical about the frequent criticism personally. They're US based so they would definitely have acquired rights or face lawsuits (which perhaps they have, I don't know). I also figure once they've acquired rights, why bother using CDs, they would presumably be paying for the legitimate digi files as pars of the rights acquisition. I've read lots of stuff from internet randos shitting on them but when someone I trust like @kafunis has actually listened and compared and suggests it ain't that bad, I'm much more inclined to trust that. I'm waiting for one to come up cheap over here so I can try one myself without spending too much but I rarely see them.

They (meaning Runt, which also owns Plain and Fire) definitely need to be securing rights, but seems like they go directly to the label without the artists' consent. Kevin Shields, Jason Pierce, and Richard D. James have all complained about this at various times - seeing reissues come out without their consent.

You're probably right about the CD thing - these days it seems like it would be more of a hassle doing that then just getting digital files. I'm guessing the CD-sourced stuff was from their early days (if even true) or likely just propagated based on Kevin Shields' rant about Plain: My Bloody Valentine's Kevin Shields accuses Sony of hiding Loveless masters; vinyl reissues on way regardless - FACT Magazine: Music News, New Music.

Either way, they seem to be getting pretty scarce over here, too. It seems like the major labels aren't renewing their licenses on things and instead reissuing them themselves under their own reissue labels like Rhino and Craft.

I'm slightly sceptical about the frequent criticism personally. They're US based so they would definitely have acquired rights or face lawsuits (which perhaps they have, I don't know). I also figure once they've acquired rights, why bother using CDs, they would presumably be paying for the legitimate digi files as part of the rights acquisition. I've read lots of stuff from internet randos shitting on them but when someone I trust like @kafunis has actually listened and compared and suggests it ain't that bad, I'm much more inclined to trust that. I'm waiting for one to come up cheap over here so I can try one myself without spending too much but I rarely see them.
Pangaea from 4MWB is on Juno. I've had a couple from them - one good, one bad - so not prepared to take the risk.

This.....all day. Until the CD arrives.

yAjavC.jpg

Im having a Lee Morgan evening. Here we have:

Lee Morgan - Expoobident (Vee-Jay, 1961 First Stereo pressing)
Lee Morgan ‎– The Gigolo (Blue Note, 1968 First Stereo pressing)
Lee Morgan - Vol. 3 (Blue Note, 1957 First Mono pressing)
The Young Lions - The Young Lions (Vee-Jay, 1960 First Mono pressing)

IMG_6391.JPG

Back