What's Spinning

View attachment 15673

The Doors - The Doors (1967, reissue 1979)

I'm gonna be honest. While I do enjoy this album, I don't understand why this is continuously referred to as one of the greatest albums of all time. It doesn't strike me as being THAT amazing. To each their own, though.
I love this album as well, but L.A. Woman is waaaaay better.

View attachment 15673

The Doors - The Doors (1967, reissue 1979)

I'm gonna be honest. While I do enjoy this album, I don't understand why this is continuously referred to as one of the greatest albums of all time. It doesn't strike me as being THAT amazing. To each their own, though.
I love this album as well, but L.A. Woman is waaaaay better.

The self-titled Doors record, along with Strange Days, both came from an initial burst of robust creativity. Both those records broke ground in songcraft, melding different styles and rhythms and furthering the concept that a song longer than 3:30 could not only work on the radio but be a smash. LA Woman is just as fine a record and ticks a lot of the boxes mentioned above.

To me, their overlooked gem is Morrison Hotel. Everyone knows 'Roadhouse Blues', and for lots of folks that's where it stops. Too bad because it's as solid a record top to bottom as they released.

Something else that often gets overlooked - The Doors wrote some crushingly beautiful love songs. Two of the best are on MH - 'Blue Sunday' and 'Indian Summer'.

The Doors - Morrison Hotel

Another one of those unwritten rock and roll rules - 'Peace Frog' and 'Blue Sunday' must always be played together.

20190829_232405.jpg

Last edited:
0830190051_HDR.jpg

Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex (2017)

Can't really show this while it's spinning, but I've got it on the table now. Strap in for the next paragraph, cause I'm gonna vent a bit.

My ex introduced this album to me in the middle of our 13 month relationship. Our relationship was very rocky and damaging for us both throughout, to say the least. But we tried to make it work for too long. This album gave us some reprive. An album of tender passion to hold between us. I immediately ordered this after she told me to listen to Apocalypse. This got a lot of plays (once I got my second copy that didn't skip, bless their kind CS department). It's a beautiful album.

Then we broke up. It was rough. I'll spare the details, but it's not the way you want a 3 year friendship and committed 13 month relationship to end. It really doesn't help that her name is said repeatedly in the first song on the album. I put this one away for a while, only playing a few songs digitally when I felt I could handle it.

But tonight, this album is getting it's first complete spin in over a year. Not just in honor of their new album. But as a testament, and a tribute, to anyone who struggles or has struggled to regain what they've lost through abusive relationships. To anyone who's ever had to fight to hold onto their sanity, this one's for you.

Bless the N&G community. You're all simply wonderful people who help me feel the music that I lost the touch for. Enjoy your weekend 💙

Miles Davis - Pangaea (CBS/Sony, 36AP 1789~90, Japan, 1979 reissue)

View attachment 15689
High on my digging list at the moment. It's eluded me for a while though...
I was looking for this a few months back as well. There hasn't been a decent European press from what I could see. The last one was a few years back from 4 Men With Beards which is certainly worth avoiding...

Back