Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

If one wanted to buy a Leak Stereo 130 and a pair of Lintons in the US, would buying them overseas be a bad idea? I feel like I want them, seems easy and no fuss, and I would love that.

Also, has anyone used the phono stage on the Leak? Sorry if off topic.

For the speakers no, they’re passive. For the amp, perhaps, depends on where you buy them from. Not everywhere has the same electrical system as the US and Europe, in particular, uses a much higher mains voltage which would require a transformer for US use.

If one wanted to buy a Leak Stereo 130 and a pair of Lintons in the US, would buying them overseas be a bad idea? I feel like I want them, seems easy and no fuss, and I would love that.

I would watch MusicDirect.com for B stock deals and stands (often posted in the deals thread
They also have page on reverb.com

Some others recently got pairs at the old pre price raise price in the U.S.. Perhaps they could share again.

Any reason your searching overseas? You can get the domestically.

Hawthorne Stereo carries both products if you wanted to shop in the Seattle area

I have both and love them, but I bought mine from Music Direct.

I would watch MusicDirect.com for B stock deals and stands (often posted in the deals thread
They also have page on reverb.com

Some others recently got pairs at the old pre price raise price in the U.S.. Perhaps they could share again.
I think with the price increase earlier this year, the b-stock deal really only saves you about $50 because the bstock is almost always stands + speakers separately. when buying new, you get a bundle discount I think on speakers + stands.

Any reason your searching overseas? You can get the domestically.

Hawthorne Stereo carries both products if you wanted to shop in the Seattle area

Back in Indiana now, but that would have been so easy and tempting! Love Hawthorne.

I know. It’s just a part of me that thinks they’re pretty as is and another that’s thinks so and so records can go under that speaker, such and such under the other. Also, it feels quite snug up top with outer sleeves on.
I have mine downstairs away from my other record shelving so I use them as record storage. I put relaxing weekend morning type records on one side and some more upbeat stuff on the other.

Love this thread. Just added Lintons to my Crown PS 200 throwback rat rod system.View attachment 157134
Repurposing solid state ‘80’s pro audio rack mount stuff for home audio is a niche hobby thing. The Crowns were very popular units in churches, theaters and clubs. Dependable Class A/AB/AB+B 90wpc.

Last edited:
Repurposing solid state ‘80’s pro audio rack mount stuff for home audio is niche hobby thing. The Crowns were very popular units in churches, theaters and clubs. Dependable Class A/AB/AB+B 90wpc.
One of the advantages of this game is the low cost of the high current amps. We have two systems in our bungalow, this one full throwback speakers too…1990s Cerwin Vega monitors and powered 8” Jensen sub running at speaker level output. The amps were both under $100 on EBay, recapped and serviced for about $200 each. At home audio levels they run in pure analog Class A with no clipping.

Easy to see why the Lintons were attractive for our upstairs system, right :)AF83F640-CD18-488D-8DDA-B347A58E04E3.jpeg

Last edited:
I have mine downstairs away from my other record shelving so I use them as record storage. I put relaxing weekend morning type records on one side and some more upbeat stuff on the other.
Tone Poets in one and Grateful Dead and associated acts in the other (though the live boxes don't fit).

I wish they were about half an inch bigger and much more would fit down there.

Back