Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

Well?!

Also keep in mind there’s some burn in time on these bad boys. Mine sound even better now than they did when I got them
I streamed a few tracks and am thrilled so far. Kaleidoscope by BBNG was the highlight. I felt like I could hear the physical space between the toms on the drum solo. I also streamed a few tracks from Fleet Foxes A Very Lonely Solstice and I can tell these speakers are going to be something special.

Still missing a bit on the low end but that might just be the burn in taking some time. I remember the ELACs kind of being the same way. Just took time for the big driver to loosen up.

I streamed a few tracks and am thrilled so far. Kaleidoscope by BBNG was the highlight. I felt like I could hear the physical space between the toms on the drum solo. I also streamed a few tracks from Fleet Foxes A Very Lonely Solstice and I can tell these speakers are going to be something special.

Still missing a bit on the low end but that might just be the burn in taking some time. I remember the ELACs kind of being the same way. Just took time for the big driver to loosen up.
They do handle lots of different genres really well. I think you’ll continue to be impressed the more you listen to them! Play with the toe in and distance from the wall as well just to see if any other adjustments sound better in your space. Mine opened up a bit over time so I think the low end might get better as they burn in.

They do handle lots of different genres really well. I think you’ll continue to be impressed the more you listen to them! Play with the toe in and distance from the wall as well just to see if any other adjustments sound better in your space. Mine opened up a bit over time so I think the low end might get better as they burn in.
Right now I have them about a foot off the wall and toed in so that when I’m in the chair I can’t really see any sides of the speakers. Not much more room to move them forward or I won’t be able to get into the room easily. But really I don’t think I can improve position. The music just snapped right into place from the first go.

Right now I have them about a foot off the wall and toed in so that when I’m in the chair I can’t really see any sides of the speakers. Not much more room to move them forward or I won’t be able to get into the room easily. But really I don’t think I can improve position. The music just snapped right into place from the first go.
Congrats, enjoy them!

Your distance from the wall should be ok. While every room is a little different, I would also try adjusting the toe in a little, so that the direction is just past your head and not straight at it, if that makes sense. That's the sweet spot with mine. Give them a little time and that bass will come around ;)

Grats and Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Those look great, congrats! And all those records in the floor? Now you can put them in the stands!
I need to get them on some shelves... I'm thinking of some other ephemera to put on the stands. I kind of like having them more open since the ELACs looked like the monoliths from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

So anybody else notice that these things are doing some sorcery on less than stellar pressings?

Like they somehow have the ability to tamp down ticks and crackle but not affect the music? Like I could hear some fuzz in the dead space between tracks but as soon as the music started there was nothing... just the music...

The ELACs would have pushed that fuzz front and center.

I’ve discovered something about the Lintons- they easily scale if better gear is used with them. From the Prima Luna amp to the NAD separates was a big jump up. Getting the 1210G was massive. I can’t hear and don’t believe the Lintons are a bottleneck in my system at all.

When I was making arrangements to return the GR for the G, I was talking with my sales rep at MD. We got to discussing each other’s systems and he has a cartridge I lust after but will never buy- an upper level Dynavector (about $6k). His turntable is an SME 20/3 - about $25k. We have the same phono stage- Sutherland Duo- $4k and our amplification is similarly priced $3-4k so he’s got a $39k system. Actually more with power conditioning and cables. And it’s all running a pair of Lintons. Crazy.

Back