Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

So I was just reviewing this thread and why did I not realize the badges were supped to go on the inside not the outside.

Have I had mine backwards for months?

So I was just reviewing this thread and why did I not realize the badges were supped to go on the inside not the outside.

Have I had mine backwards for months?

There’s no backwards. I’ve always had mine on the outside. Tried both initially and outside sounded better. From Wharfedale I was told that the tweeter is offset so there is no right or wrong answer, experiment. One better suits larger spaces and the other smaller one but I can’t remember which way around it is…

There’s no backwards. I’ve always had mine on the outside. Tried both initially and outside sounded better. From Wharfedale I was told that the tweeter is offset so there is no right or wrong answer, experiment. One better suits larger spaces and the other smaller one but I can’t remember which way around it is…
I would have assumed that the offset tweeter would mean that positioning DOES make a difference.

Having the tweeters skewing outside would probably give a broader sound field.

I would have assumed that the offset tweeter would mean that positioning DOES make a difference.

Having the tweeters skewing outside would probably give a broader sound field.

I think that was their point. It depends on your room. If I remember rightly in smaller spaces the tweeter towards the inside is better because it focuses the image more but in a larger room on the outside it increases the soundstage.

This damn thread is really making me rethink things.

How’s near-field on these things (say, 12’ ish)?

I’m closer in than that (2.5m is about 7/8 foot right) and they’re fantastic. Just probably need more toe in the closer you are.

I have to be careful since I'm in apartment living but, if I want more bass the best thing to do is to pull them away from the walls right?

I have to be careful since I'm in apartment living but, if I want more bass the best thing to do is to pull them away from the walls right?

Opposite. The closer to the wall the more bass but there is the possibility of making them a bit “boomy” if you go too close.

For better bass I actually found adding a small sub was the way forward. Gotta be really careful in an apartment there though, I get away with it because of having concrete floors and I turn it off for electronic music.

The opposite, I believe? The closer to the wall the boomier it gets.

Opposite. The closer to the wall the more bass but there is the possibility of making them a bit “boomy” if you go too close.

For better bass I actually found adding a small sub was the way forward. Gotta be really careful in an apartment there though, I get away with it because of having concrete floors and I turn it off for electronic music.

Thanks! Yeah it's that delicate balance. I don't have to worry about neighbors below because of concrete but I could see the ones above me being upset.

Back