Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

They been warming up and getting better. These have 90 hours on them already. Placement tweaks, 20" off the back wall right now, 7 ft apart. Dialing in the center image. Seems just a little toe in is better on these than the complete triangle, anyone else ? A bit laid back is something to get use. More to come.

Last edited:
They been warming up and getting better. These have 90 hours on them already. Placement tweaks, 20" off the back wall right now, 7 ft apart. Dialing in the center image. Seems just a little toe in is better on these than the complete triangle, anyone else ? A bit laid back is something to get use. More to come.
How are they with jazz? I know you were curious about that!

These now have over 100 hours on them (90 before). Been dealing with some picky placement and dialing in the center image which is better now after speaking to users and the dealer. They have settled in pretty nicely today, smooth, great bass, very wide stage (perhaps a bit unrealistic). 40-60 watts of hybrid vintage McIntosh seem to drive them well. The first speakers I have listened to where I have heard the guitar player's (Grant Green) hand position move on the guitar fret board! A whoa moment! Could they be a little bit more engaging, a little less laid back, more forward mids, taller stage, a bit more detailed ? Yes. But it's nitpicking and my musical/warm amp can be adding to this. Perhaps a Mark II or someone does a easy mod kit or tweeter upgrade one day. I will decide this week if they are keepers but I must say tonight I have just enjoyed the music from Larry Young, Grant Green, John Coltrane, Johnny Cash, Cat Stevens, to Ryuchi Sakamoto, Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross, and Trentemoller. I agree with just about everyone the speakers need to BREAK IN more. But they grab you by the heart strings and tug you in and you just want to enjoy music on them. Great value for $1200/1500.

Right now they are logos inside, Wharfedale say to do logo's outside, some prefer inside. I don't want to switch back right now seeing I have imaging about where I want it but I will eventually just to check.

I will add I think the speakers on the stands are about 1-2" short for my ear level here.

How are they with jazz? I know you were curious about that!

Really good on vinyl. Larry Young Into Somethin' BN 80th is like a warm cocoon on them. More modern Jazz tests like Joshua Redman and Jerome Sabbagh Flac have been a bit less enjoyable than other speakers tbh which is odd.

Last edited:
I’ll say this- the Hana MH is proving that the Lintons are way better than I thought.

But let’s say I had a $5k budget. You know what I’d buy?

Lintons.

With a €6k budget would some tannoy heritage begin to enter the conversation? I’d still absolutely love to own a pair of the Turnburys at some point and that’s where their price lies over here...

With a €6k budget would some tannoy heritage begin to enter the conversation? I’d still absolutely love to own a pair of the Turnburys at some point and that’s where their price lies over here...
$6000 buys Tannoy Stirlings. Turnburys are $8k. If I were going $6k, I’d just jump the extra $2k for the Turnburys and call it a day.

$6000 buys Tannoy Stirlings. Turnburys are $8k. If I were going $6k, I’d just jump the extra $2k for the Turnburys and call it a day.

Ah yes, they’re roughly €6k which is roughly $7k in your money over here but then there’s always the dealer/import tax when buying across the ocean!

With that budget, I’d jump on a pair of Cheviots. I might even buy them.

She knows she cannot leave you unattended. Side note - I'm digging the soundstage. The 1 inch makes a difference.
She’s a good sport. She’s only complained about amplification twice:

Manley Labs: Sounds amazing! Why is it so damn ugly? (Factory Manley bluish purple faceplates)

Naim: I love everything about this. But why is is so expensive?

Back