Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

Helloooo! Found this forum hunting some release info on Colemine Records upcoming records, and am enjoying being here. Have been a serious record collector for 47 years, since 1973 (age 11) when American Graffiti gave me 50s fever. I set out to try to collect minty 1st press 45s of every single on the soundtrack. 60k records, and dozens of other genre interests later, I'm still at it.
Nice! How many of the singles from that soundtrack have you been able to find?

How have I never found this site until recently? I was looking for some headphone info and ended up finding a thread here....Poking around I see that it looks like it has been in existence since May of 2019, guess I had my head in the clouds....anyway, a little about myself, my name is Mike, I live in Florida, not too far from the famous rat named Mickey Mouse. I have loved music since my moms friend sent me Kiss Double Platinum, The Village People Live and Sleazy and the Queen Bicylce Race/Fat Bottomed Girls single for my birthday sometime around 79/80. I would have been around 9 years old at that time. I quickly moved on too Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and then found Black Flag, Agent Orange and the rest of the punk world. My life was never the same....Currently I have around 850 records and they include everything from Alicia Keyes to Zao. I spin them on a Marantz TT15S1, the signal is amplified by a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III and finally flows out of a pair of Dynaudio Special 40 speakers. I guess thats enough about me now. So far I like what I see, keep up the good work.

IMG_20210225_165509.jpg

How have I never found this site until recently? I was looking for some headphone info and ended up finding a thread here....Poking around I see that it looks like it has been in existence since May of 2019, guess I had my head in the clouds....anyway, a little about myself, my name is Mike, I live in Florida, not too far from the famous rat named Mickey Mouse. I have loved music since my moms friend sent me Kiss Double Platinum, The Village People Live and Sleazy and the Queen Bicylce Race/Fat Bottomed Girls single for my birthday sometime around 79/80. I would have been around 9 years old at that time. I quickly moved on too Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and then found Black Flag, Agent Orange and the rest of the punk world. My life was never the same....Currently I have around 850 records and they include everything from Alicia Keyes to Zao. I spin them on a Marantz TT15S1, the signal is amplified by a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III and finally flows out of a pair of Dynaudio Special 40 speakers. I guess thats enough about me now. So far I like what I see, keep up the good work.

View attachment 89602
Nice system, and welcome from someone else who lives near the land of the rich rodent.

View attachment 89602
Welcome, nice clean setup you have there :)

View attachment 89602
Welcome to the dopest place on le interwebz, Mike.

Punks are awesome people. Glad to have you.

View attachment 89602
Welcome from the U.K.

View attachment 89602
WICKED setup!

Hi all, my name is Steve. I am a vinylholic and live in Denver. Bought my first record in 1961 when I was 11 years old. It was a 45 of "Baby Sitting Boogie" by Buzz Crawford and I've been collecting vinyl ever since. During the late '80s and early 90's the collection really expanded when folks were ditching albums for the "perfect sound forever" fever and it numbers over 5,000 pieces now. It's about 60% rock and its derivatives, 20% jazz and 20% classical. Sold thousands of albums at record shows in Denver in the '80s and '90s until the old back said no more! All three categories are mostly made up of recordings from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Haven't purchased very many records in the last 30 years. For me, vinyl never went away and although my stereo system has a CD player it doesn't get used much. I listen to vinyl a couple of hours nearly everyday.
Found N&G via a Google search for info on the Sutherland Duo and I'm glad I did. Started looking around at the vinyl threads here and have been amazed at the intensity and passion displayed PLUS you keep it fun without the attitude so easily found on other sites. I like that aspect of N&G as well as the wide ranging knowledge.
Another area of great interest to me is offroading my Toyota Land Cruisers and is where the OMC handle comes from, not from the group that did "How Bizarre". Old Man Emu (OME) is a well regarded manufacturer of offroading suspensions and I've used OMC on other forums for years as my last name begins with C and, well, I'm old! It wasn't until TenderLovingKiller hipped me to what JoeMac and Thackeraye were referring to in their responses to my first post or two here. I remember that song but didn't know the artist. At least the video is fun with great "scenery".
Thanks for having me!
Room.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all, my name is Steve. I am a vinylholic and live in Denver. Bought my first record in 1961 when I was 11 years old. It was a 45 of "Baby Sitting Boogie" by Buzz Crawford and I've been collecting vinyl ever since. During the late '80s and early 90's the collection really expanded when folks were ditching albums for the "perfect sound forever" fever and it numbers over 5,000 pieces now. It's about 60% rock and its derivatives, 15% jazz and 15% classical. Sold thousands of albums at record shows in Denver in the '80s and '90s until the old back sad no more! All three categories are mostly made up of recordings from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Haven't purchased very many records in the last 30 years. For me, vinyl never went away and although my stereo system has a CD player it doesn't get used much. I listen to vinyl a couple of hours nearly everyday.
Found N&G via a Google search for info on the Sutherland Duo and I'm glad I did. Started looking around at the vinyl threads here and have been amazed at the intensity and passion displayed here PLUS you keep it fun without the attitude so easily found on other sites. I like that aspect of N&G as well as the wide ranging knowledge.
Another area of great interest to me is offroading my Toyota Land Cruisers and is where the OMC handle comes from, not from the group that did "How Bizarre". Old Man Emu (OME) is a well regarded manufacturer of offroading suspensions and I've used OMC on other forums for years as my last name begins with C and, well, I'm old! It wasn't until TenderLovingKiller hipped me to what JoeMac and Thacheraye were referring to in their responses to my first post or two here. I remember that song but didn't know the artist. At least the video is fun with great scenery.
Thanks for having me!
View attachment 92198
Nice digs! Welcome, OMC. I am in Salt Lake, so all things considered given the geographic spread represented on this board, pretty close! I wasn't quite 11 in 1961, but I'm not too far behind you. I feel like a bit of a rube for not taking advantage of the plentiful and inexpensive vinyl during the CD boom, but at least I held on to the vinyl I had at that point. Your setup and room look fantastic.

Hi all, my name is Steve. I am a vinylholic and live in Denver. Bought my first record in 1961 when I was 11 years old. It was a 45 of "Baby Sitting Boogie" by Buzz Crawford and I've been collecting vinyl ever since. During the late '80s and early 90's the collection really expanded when folks were ditching albums for the "perfect sound forever" fever and it numbers over 5,000 pieces now. It's about 60% rock and its derivatives, 15% jazz and 15% classical. Sold thousands of albums at record shows in Denver in the '80s and '90s until the old back sad no more! All three categories are mostly made up of recordings from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Haven't purchased very many records in the last 30 years. For me, vinyl never went away and although my stereo system has a CD player it doesn't get used much. I listen to vinyl a couple of hours nearly everyday.
Found N&G via a Google search for info on the Sutherland Duo and I'm glad I did. Started looking around at the vinyl threads here and have been amazed at the intensity and passion displayed here PLUS you keep it fun without the attitude so easily found on other sites. I like that aspect of N&G as well as the wide ranging knowledge.
Another area of great interest to me is offroading my Toyota Land Cruisers and is where the OMC handle comes from, not from the group that did "How Bizarre". Old Man Emu (OME) is a well regarded manufacturer of offroading suspensions and I've used OMC on other forums for years as my last name begins with C and, well, I'm old! It wasn't until TenderLovingKiller hipped me to what JoeMac and Thacheraye were referring to in their responses to my first post or two here. I remember that song but didn't know the artist. At least the video is fun with great "scenery".
Thanks for having me!
View attachment 92198
I want to go to there.

During the late '80s and early 90's the collection really expanded when folks were ditching albums for the "perfect sound forever" fever and it numbers over 5,000 pieces now. It's about 60% rock and its derivatives, 15% jazz and 15% classical.
Is the other 10% Christmas? That would be amazing if you had 500 Christmas albums from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. You'd really have to get an early start on the holiday season though to work your way through that many albums.

In all seriousness, with 5,000 albums in your collection, how do you decide what to listen to? Do you methodically listen through the entire collection or do you have them all catalogued on Discogs on your phone and do the phone-shaking random picker thing?

Hi all, my name is Steve. I am a vinylholic and live in Denver. Bought my first record in 1961 when I was 11 years old. It was a 45 of "Baby Sitting Boogie" by Buzz Crawford and I've been collecting vinyl ever since. During the late '80s and early 90's the collection really expanded when folks were ditching albums for the "perfect sound forever" fever and it numbers over 5,000 pieces now. It's about 60% rock and its derivatives, 15% jazz and 15% classical. Sold thousands of albums at record shows in Denver in the '80s and '90s until the old back said no more! All three categories are mostly made up of recordings from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Haven't purchased very many records in the last 30 years. For me, vinyl never went away and although my stereo system has a CD player it doesn't get used much. I listen to vinyl a couple of hours nearly everyday.
Found N&G via a Google search for info on the Sutherland Duo and I'm glad I did. Started looking around at the vinyl threads here and have been amazed at the intensity and passion displayed PLUS you keep it fun without the attitude so easily found on other sites. I like that aspect of N&G as well as the wide ranging knowledge.
Another area of great interest to me is offroading my Toyota Land Cruisers and is where the OMC handle comes from, not from the group that did "How Bizarre". Old Man Emu (OME) is a well regarded manufacturer of offroading suspensions and I've used OMC on other forums for years as my last name begins with C and, well, I'm old! It wasn't until TenderLovingKiller hipped me to what JoeMac and Thacheraye were referring to in their responses to my first post or two here. I remember that song but didn't know the artist. At least the video is fun with great "scenery".
Thanks for having me!
View attachment 92198
Welcome fellow "Old Guy" demographic :)

Nice room, I wish I had that dedicated space. N&G is a lot of fun with a varied membership of age, interest and knowledge with a good dose of good natured ribbing.......we're one big happy dysfunctional family ;)

.......on a side note, we're not old, we're vintage 🍻

Is the other 10% Christmas? That would be amazing if you had 500 Christmas albums from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. You'd really have to get an early start on the holiday season though to work your way through that many albums.

In all seriousness, with 5,000 albums in your collection, how do you decide what to listen to? Do you methodically listen through the entire collection or do you have them all catalogued on Discogs on your phone and do the phone-shaking random picker thing?

Good catch and it didn’t take long at all! Math was never my strong suit. I leave that to my numbers girl wife. 🤪 While I do have some Christmas albums along with Songs of the Humpback Whales, Singing Dogs and a few other niche records, they make up a very small group.

Think I should change my handle to Trainwreck. Geez Louise and I apologize for the sloppiness displayed.
To answer your other questions Ericj32, I haven’t catalogued the collection at all. I do have a book that listed everything up until those big collections started falling in my lap and gave up around 1990. The picture shows about 3,000 with 2,000 in another room. I go by the mood of the day when selecting what to play and find myself being surprised occasionally when I pull out something I’d forgotten I had. It’s an adventure every time.

Think I should change my handle to Trainwreck. Geez Louise and I apologize for the sloppiness displayed.
To answer your other questions Ericj32, I haven’t catalogued the collection at all. I do have a book that listed everything up until those big collections started falling in my lap and gave up around 1990. The picture shows about 3,000 with 2,000 in another room. I go by the mood of the day when selecting what to play and find myself being surprised occasionally when I pull out something I’d forgotten I had. It’s an adventure every time.
You are totally fine - no need to apologize. This is one of the friendlier corners of the internet. I apologize if my nitpicking about your math came off as snarky - I got excited at the prospect of someone owning hundreds of vintage Christmas records, haha. That must be fun to explore your collection (and those you've inherited) and find cool surprises like that from way back when.

You are totally fine - no need to apologize. This is one of the friendlier corners of the internet. I apologize if my nitpicking about your math came off as snarky - I got excited at the prospect of someone owning hundreds of vintage Christmas records, haha. That must be fun to explore your collection (and those you've inherited) and find cool surprises like that from way back when.
Didn't detect any snark at all so we're good. The most recent "find" was when a friend pulled out the Meters debut album and I didn't remember how it came to be in my possession.

Back