Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

Welcome to the Dawn.....

Sorry ..couldn’t resist Prince fans

Check out the September 2020 challenge thread Dawn, good way to show off some records ...and meet some virtual folks
You have now accessed, the Gold experience.

I'll reintroduce myself. Back after a 10 month hiatus. Might frequent more often in the months to come. Always some nice discussions and tips here!

I'm a 44 years old guy from Norway.

Wife, three kids who are growing up fast, house in the suburbs of Oslo and a small summer cabin by the sea.

I have a phd in political science and work as a professor (sorry associate professor, still working on getting that promotion) at a university teaching and tutoring at all levels in public administration and politics, and I write some books and articles too.

Was "brought" up in 90s indie rock and guitar pop and still very much dabble in those things.

I'm also a music writer for a Norwegian music blog, mostly doing reviews and some features.

Outside work, family and music I follow football (soccer!) closely here in Norway and do some cycling, road or gravel.

Cheers!
Welcome back! Great re-introduction full of information. I’m sorry to make the Knausgaard comparisons so early but there are many similarities between you and Karl Ove.

Either way, welcome back!

I am Tom. I live in Boston, Mass., USA. I've been into music in a rather intense way since childhood in the UK starting in the Pan's People era of ToTP. Early influences included Giorgio Moroder, Sparks, Bowie (don't miss these wonderful ToTP clips on the youtube).

I've been an amateur musician on and off playing guitar, electronics and for a short while a synth without keyboard. Formed the band Blood Money around that synth, and make a solo guitar album. After 10 years off I started playing again. This year I made a couple of recordings of mockups of compositions for a band that I was planning to form before pandemic.

For nearly 10 years I was a volunteer community DJ at WZBC Boston College Radio. I created Spinitron and me and my SO now make our living from running it as a service.

I don't actively collect vinyl any more but I have my old collection. I have hi-res photos of the spines somewhere. We have a recently renovated Dual CS 5000 to play them on. I don't think vinyl sounds better than digital (except in the odd case where the LP was mastered better than the CD) but I militantly defend LPs over CDs. I mostly play music using BubbleUpnp Android app, a couple of Raspberry Pis, and a Topping D50s DAC. But it's still nice to pull out an LP from time to time. I hope that's ok with y'all.

Update: Hi-res photos of 12" spines.

Last edited:
I am Tom. I live in Boston, Mass., USA. I've been into music in a rather intense way since childhood in the UK starting in the Pan's People era of ToTP. Early influences included Giorgio Moroder, Sparks, Bowie (don't miss these wonderful ToTP clips on the youtube).

I've been an amateur musician on and off playing guitar, electronics and for a short while a synth without keyboard. Formed the band Blood Money around that synth, and make a solo guitar album. After 10 years off I started playing again. This year I made a couple of recordings of mockups of compositions for a band that I was planning to form before pandemic.

For nearly 10 years I was a volunteer community DJ at WZBC Boston College Radio. I created Spinitron and me and my SO now make our living from running it as a service.

I don't actively collect vinyl any more but I have my old collection. I have hi-res photos of the spines somewhere. We have a recently renovated Dual CS 5000 to play them on. I don't think vinyl sounds better than digital (except in the odd case where the LP was mastered better than the CD) but I militantly defend LPs over CDs. I mostly play music using BubbleUpnp Android app, a couple of Raspberry Pis, and a Topping D50s DAC. But it's still nice to pull out an LP from time to time. I hope that's ok with y'all.
Welcome to N&G Tom!

Hi Tom, sadly I´m not a musician, I tried but I was not able to play two notes...., but I love listening music, I have my Vynil collection, no to big, but I started in 1969 when I was a Student at the University, those first viynils plays today as Near Mint!!!!
Also I have a lot of CDs, and now TIDAL is the main music sorce...
Glad to meet you
Alberto

Hi Tom, and welcome. Is there anywhere online to hear your solo guitar album? I really dig the cover design.

Hi Tom, and welcome. Is there anywhere online to hear your solo guitar album? I really dig the cover design.
The only track from that album currently online afaik is Lll. I'm afraid it doesn't sound much like guitar. I got a bit out there with the electronics for a while.

If you like I can get the others up somewhere.

Thank you, I got a custom rubber ink stamp and used white ink on black envelopes to make the covers.

Small world! KAOS-FM checking in. 🙂

Small world! KAOS-FM checking in.
Hi @JonnyH For those who didn't see the connection, KAOS-FM, a community radio station in Olympia, Washington, based out of Evergreen State College, has used Spinitron for 10 years and JonnyH is an especially heavy user. 13 playlists in October alone! Jonny H on KAOS Olympia 89.3FM

Last edited:
Hello, I’m Jonny! I live on the border of the beautiful North Yorkshire National Park in England. As a younger person (28) I got into records fairly recently, I’d say about 5 years ago. Now I have amassed around 350 records and am quickly running out of space! My uncle used to have an amazing collection which I’d say interested me and pushed me along to want my own hifi and I’d always loved music. I started with a VPI Nomad for the ease and listened through the headphone output to some of my favourite records. I knew eventually I wanted to upgrade to a proper set up with speakers, amplifier and all that jazz. Just over a year back I got a terrific deal on a Linn LP12 Akurate spec which I absolutely adore and has been set up by the terrific guys at the Sound Organisation in York. I listen through a Naim SuperNait 3 amp into ProAc D18 speakers.

My favourite bands/ musicians include: Frank Zappa, Warren Zevon, Talking Heads, Grateful Dead, Steely Dan, Talk Talk, Neil Young, The Who, Creedence and modern bands/ musicians such as: Khruangbin, Wilco, Michael Kiwanuka, Radiohead, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, and the War on Drugs. (my absolute top band!) Glad to have joined a group of likeminded vinyl junkies!

Hello, I’m Jonny! I live on the border of the beautiful North Yorkshire National Park in England. As a younger person (28) I got into records fairly recently, I’d say about 5 years ago. Now I have amassed around 350 records and am quickly running out of space! My uncle used to have an amazing collection which I’d say interested me and pushed me along to want my own hifi and I’d always loved music. I started with a VPI Nomad for the ease and listened through the headphone output to some of my favourite records. I knew eventually I wanted to upgrade to a proper set up with speakers, amplifier and all that jazz. Just over a year back I got a terrific deal on a Linn LP12 Akurate spec which I absolutely adore and has been set up by the terrific guys at the Sound Organisation in York. I listen through a Naim SuperNait 3 amp into ProAc D18 speakers.

My favourite bands/ musicians include: Frank Zappa, Warren Zevon, Talking Heads, Grateful Dead, Steely Dan, Talk Talk, Neil Young, The Who, Creedence and modern bands/ musicians such as: Khruangbin, Wilco, Michael Kiwanuka, Radiohead, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, and the War on Drugs. (my absolute top band!) Glad to have joined a group of likeminded vinyl junkies!
Welcome ...another U.K. member! 🇬🇧

Update: Hi-res photos of 12" spines.
Welcome 🙏

Hello, I’m Jonny! I live on the border of the beautiful North Yorkshire National Park in England.
Lucky you!

As a younger person (28) I got into records fairly recently, I’d say about 5 years ago. Now I have amassed around 350 records and am quickly running out of space! My uncle used to have an amazing collection which I’d say interested me and pushed me along to want my own hifi and I’d always loved music. I started with a VPI Nomad for the ease and listened through the headphone output to some of my favourite records. I knew eventually I wanted to upgrade to a proper set up with speakers, amplifier and all that jazz. Just over a year back I got a terrific deal on a Linn LP12 Akurate spec which I absolutely adore and has been set up by the terrific guys at the Sound Organisation in York. I listen through a Naim SuperNait 3 amp into ProAc D18 speakers.

When I was a young man it was a plain matter of fact that the young man going places had an impressive stereo. And back then it was the LP12 to which one aspired! Now, ofc, there are any number of vastly more expensive and impressive machines but I've an inkling they're still mostly made for men. Luckily my audiophile ambitions topped out at Thorens TD145 and Meridian M3 speakers. The TT is gone idk where but the M3 continue to work and satisfy in the video editing suite of a multi-Emmy-winner friend of mine.

Your interests are fairly guitar heavy. Are you familiar with the Sahel guitar scene? That's a recent fascination for me. I can't get enough of it. For example Mdou Moctar Ilana The Creator.

Lucky you!

When I was a young man it was a plain matter of fact that the young man going places had an impressive stereo. And back then it was the LP12 to which one aspired! Now, ofc, there are any number of vastly more expensive and impressive machines but I've an inkling they're still mostly made for men. Luckily my audiophile ambitions topped out at Thorens TD145 and Meridian M3 speakers. The TT is gone idk where but the M3 continue to work and satisfy in the video editing suite of a multi-Emmy-winner friend of mine.

Your interests are fairly guitar heavy. Are you familiar with the Sahel guitar scene? That's a recent fascination for me. I can't get enough of it. For example Mdou Moctar Ilana The Creator.
Yes! I‘m a fan of Mdou Moctar and another favourite of mine is a band called Tinariwen who are also of Tuareg origin.

Welcome, as @Gavaxeman said its nice to see another UK member here. I actually grew up in a small village in the Forest Of Bowland, which isn't a million miles from you. Small world!

Hi, Former VMP subscriber (recently left after their ridiculous price hike). I'm in my early thirties. Found this community a few month back when searching for opinions about VMP releases. Will probably not participle a lot to discussions but usually keep an eye on discussions that interest me.
I'm originally from France, lived for 6 years in Germany and now live in the US of A for about 2 years. Got into vinyl when moving to Germany and borrowed my in law's old turntable. My local in Germany was just across the street and absolutely loved it! I don't really have a local here and am really missing my Saturday crate digging. Been gradually upgrading my gear in the last 2 years or so. Current setup:
Clearaudio concept wood, satisfy Kardan arm, Ortofon 2M Bronze.
Graham slee amp2 SE phono preamp.
Shiit Sys volume control.
Elac Navis ARB-51 active bookshelf speakers.

Pretty satisfied with the sound so far. I plan to upgrade my phono pre amp down the road and will probably keep it that way for a long time after that. Being eyeing the Accession from GS, but now considering the Sutherland 20/20 after reading the equipment recommendation thread.

Hi, Former VMP subscriber (recently left after their ridiculous price hike). I'm in my early thirties. Found this community a few month back when searching for opinions about VMP releases. Will probably not participle a lot to discussions but usually keep an eye on discussions that interest me.
I'm originally from France, lived for 6 years in Germany and now live in the US of A for about 2 years. Got into vinyl when moving to Germany and borrowed my in law's old turntable. My local in Germany was just across the street and absolutely loved it! I don't really have a local here and am really missing my Saturday crate digging. Been gradually upgrading my gear in the last 2 years or so. Current setup:
Clearaudio concept wood, satisfy Kardan arm, Ortofon 2M Bronze.
Graham slee amp2 SE phono preamp.
Shiit Sys volume control.
Elac Navis ARB-51 active bookshelf speakers.

Pretty satisfied with the sound so far. I plan to upgrade my phono pre amp down the road and will probably keep it that way for a long time after that. Being eyeing the Accession from GS, but now considering the Sutherland 20/20 after reading the equipment recommendation thread.
Welcome 🙏

Hi everyone, I'm in my early thirties and I live in Paris, France.

I've always been interested in music but I've started looking at vinyles very recently, I would say few months ago and my interest really is booming for few weeks now. What a great feeling to feel passionate about something new!

I'm mainly interested in jazz & soul music and I would say some mixed pop/r&b music from the 90's rather than pure pop/rock.
But it seems I have a lot to discover and learn from you guys!

Hi everyone, I'm in my early thirties and I live in Paris, France.

I've always been interested in music but I've started looking at vinyles very recently, I would say few months ago and my interest really is booming for few weeks now. What a great feeling to feel passionate about something new!

I'm mainly interested in jazz & soul music and I would say some mixed pop/r&b music from the 90's rather than pure pop/rock.
But it seems I have a lot to discover and learn from you guys!

Bienvenu à bord ! Si t'as besoin d'informations ou d'aide au sujet du forum, n'hésite pas ;)

Back