Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

HEEEEEEEY THEEEEEERE!!!!!!!

I'm so happy about this, thanks x100000 to all the awesome people who set this up.

My name is Arnold, I used to go by @wallystripes on the [redacted] forum, by I decided to change it, because that is a name I made up when I first started using social media during my teens, so it feels a little bit odd now.

Anyway, I'm so excited to be here and share all kinds of convos and music with y'all, specially about Jazz ;)

Hello all... I live in the Monterey area in California. I'm in my mid 30s and I've been a CD collector since high school, but in a recent move a box with all the CD art and packaging in it was lost (the CDs are safe in a few giant binders), and it was the push I needed to get into vinyl. So, I'm not quite a year into all this, but I've mostly loved going to the local record store not knowing what I want to get and knowing I can only leave with one or two albums, an experience that takes me back to high school and the hours I spent at the record store when it was full of CDs.

so this is like my 4th or 5th different online community, even though, it's more or less the same thing as VMP, but it's change nonetheless.

When I was about 14 or 15, I decided to join the Rock Band (the video game) forums to talk about songs I wanted to see on that game. The people on there were amazing at music recommendations and whatnot, it was really formative for my music listening in high school. Opposite from some of the hard rock, metal in that game, they really helped me turn into an "indie rock kid".

After I stopped playing that game so much, I moved over to Tumblr (don't make fun of me) around 2009/2010. I formed a lot of friends on there, mostly talking music and tv shows. The majority of my "internet friends" who I still occasionally interact with on social media were on there. I even met my girlfriend (going on 5 years) on there. She was one of the first blogs I followed because she had a National reference in her url. I posted a ton of mp3s which tumblr eventually cracked down on for copyright infringement and deleted my blog. I had like 2,000+ followers at one point in time. I recreated but it wasn't the same. I stuck around there for a while, up until early 2015. Which coincides with joining VMP.

I didn't start collecting because of VMP but it really took my record collection to the next level. I started in like summer 2014 when my friend was playing a show at a local record shop and saw some super cheap albums for like $2 or $3 and thought maybe I should start collecting. A lot of my friends did so it felt like the next logical step musically. When I joined VMP in March 2015 I went from like 25 albums to probably 250 within a year. It wasn't just the club AOTMs or store picks, but the Pre-Order Goodness, Amazon sales, and whatnot. I just bought a ton of vinyl because I had shelves to fill.

And now we've moved to remove VMP from the equation. I had cancelled my membership in April 2017 so I was out for a while, but I stuck around for this community. I cancelled not because of the poor quality of the pressings, or poor customer communication, I left because I was close to 500 records and ran out of room, I also realized less = more and there were some records I never listened to or only listened to sparingly. It's also a big money suck every month/year/pay period.

Over the past year and a half, I've also gotten deep back into sports, specifically English Premier League, hence my icon. I've been fairly active over on the Tottenham Hotspur subreddit which is another really nice community to discuss anything and everything Spurs. I'm glad this group didn't accept reddit as it's new home because reddit profiles have less personality with icons and the way that people post. Forums are the way to go. With that other community, I have not been as active on the Forums as I once was, maybe posting 3 or 5 times a day compared to 20 or 30 times, plus my job keeps me busier than my old job did back in 2015-16.

So that's about 5 communities that I have been a part of and I'm excited to see where this one takes us.

Oh and for the ASL

Chris / 27 / Vermont
Favorite Band: The Mountain Goats

Last edited:
I am blown away by this, it is amazing to see so many of us move over here so quickly! This is getting me in the feels today. @RenegadeMonster @gouis @Colonel_Angus @AnthonyI @mcherry - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! And again, thank you!

No really.

Thank you!!!

And can I second that the filters are all inspired by The Good Place? I would forking love that shirt!

Over the past year and a half, I've also gotten deep back into sports, specifically English Premier League, hence my icon. I've been fairly active over on the Tottenham Hotspur subreddit which is another really nice community to discuss anything and everything Spurs. I'm glad this group didn't accept reddit as it's new home because reddit profiles have less personality with icons and the way that people post. Forums are the way to go. With that other community, I have not been as active on the Forums as I once was, maybe posting 3 or 5 times a day compared to 20 or 30 times, plus my job keeps me busier than my old job did back in 2015-16.

I'm originally from Brazil so I'm a huge soccer fan too (currently playing on two separate small local leagues). As for watching nowadays I see myself pulling for Liverpool (gulp!) but I was very happy to see Spurs advance to the UCL final thanks to my boy Lucas Moura (I'm first and foremost a Sao Paulo FC fan, and he was our last good homegrown player). I'm sure a sports thread will pop up in this board at some point, if it hasn't already. See you there!

Back